Any October 2010 filers yet?

I'd like to do a walk-in at Boston, MA. But I also haven't read anyone doing it. Anyone with insight? I'd like to get this over and done with, and maybe get my EAD sooner. Noting that the I-765 was mentioned in the fingerprinting appointment letter, I'm assuming I won't get it till after fingerprinting.

Is it very far from you? If not, just try a walk-in, it can't hurt :) I'm lucky that my hubby is in the army, otherwise they wouldn't have let me do the walk-in, but at many places they do allow walk-ins, so good luck!

Hi Guys, here is my wife's time-line:
10/07/10: I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent to USCIS
10/09/10: Applications delivered.
10/19/10: Text message and e-mail: acceptance for both applications
10/22/10: Received I-797C x 2
10/22/10: LUD
10/27/10: Biometric appointment for 11/17/10

Good Luck to all!!!

Is it very far from you? If not, just try a walk-in, it can't hurt :) I'm lucky that my hubby is in the army, otherwise they wouldn't have let me do the walk-in, but at many places they do allow walk-ins, so good luck!

It's a 45 minute drive without traffic. I'm thinking of just going and dealing with it, and hope to get lucky. You definitely lucked out.

Hello everyone, I am a August filer and an active poster in the August Filers thread. Please visit that thread as you will get very valuable information. Those who have travel plans before they get their GC, STOP AND READ BELOW!!!!!!

Q19. Can I travel outside the United States if I have an immigrant visa petition or labor certification application filed on my behalf on or before April 30, 2001?

A19. If you are living illegally in the United States, the mere filing of a visa petition or application for a labor certification has no effect on your current immigration status or unlawful presence in the United States. If you leave the United States, you will have no authorization to re-enter the country.

When you file your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485), there is a way to obtain permission in advance to travel abroad by requesting "Advance Parole" from INS. However, if you have accrued more than 180 days of unlawful presence, you should not travel abroad because you then will be barred from admission to the United States for either three years or 10 years, even if you were granted "Advance Parole." Generally, the three-year bar to admission applies to those who were unlawfully present in the United States for more than 180 days and leave the country, and the 10-year bar applies to those who were unlawfully present in the United States for one year or more and leave the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to be lucky or in the army to do a walk-in for your FP. Just do a walk-in before your actual date of appointment. The security guard will ask you if you have an appointment, without saying anything, just hand them you FP letter. Those ASC centers are not USCIS employees but contractors doing the FP for USCIS. DO NOT BE AFRAID and just get your FP done. My wife and I went there twice without appointments and got them done.

p.s., location does not matter, go whichever location convenient to you. I would also suggest to have a back-up location just in case if you are refused which you may not.
Good luck you all !!!!!!!!!!!

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to be lucky or in the army to do a walk-in for your FP. Just do a walk-in before your actual date of appointment. The security guard will ask you if you have an appointment, without saying anything, just hand them you FP letter. Those ASC centers are not USCIS employees but contractors doing the FP for USCIS. DO NOT BE AFRAID and just get your FP done. My wife and I went there twice without appointments and got them done.

p.s., location does not matter, go whichever location convenient to you. I would also suggest to have a back-up location just in case if you are refused which you may not.

The location actually does matter in some cases. The ACS office that was closest to me (still 1 1/2 hours away) was the one in my biometrics letter, so I tried my walk-in there, showed them my letter, but they said they generally don't do walk-ins. Then I asked my hubby to come in and he was in uniform. So they asked me if I was a military wife and when I said yes, they apologized and let me do my biometrics right away, even before the people that were already waiting. I know that most of the offices allow walk-ins, but not ALL of them, so yea, sometimes you do have to get lucky.

We got our letters and the checks were cashed 13 days after we sent in our applications, definitely out of the "7-10 day window", so don't worry :) (although I know it's hard not to freak out sometimes)

YAY!! Finally yesterday they cashed 2 out of 3 checks (for some reason the I-765 check didn't get cashed yet...mmmhhh) but that should mean that soon we'll receive the NOAs through email and text :)

AND yesterday my husband and I also found out that we are expcting a baby-boy so I couldn't be any happier!!! :)

Will keep you posted on the progress with the application.
Thanks so much!!!

10-13-2010 Sent to USCIS Chicago forms I-130, I-485, I-765, I-134, and I-693
10-14-2010 Delivered to USCIS Chicago
10-27-2010 2 out of 3 checks cashed

YAY!! Finally yesterday they cashed 2 out of 3 checks (for some reason the I-765 check didn't get cashed yet...mmmhhh) but that should mean that soon we'll receive the NOAs through email and text :)

AND yesterday my husband and I also found out that we are expcting a baby-boy so I couldn't be any happier!!! :)

Will keep you posted on the progress with the application.
Thanks so much!!!

10-27-2010 2 out of 3 checks cashed

Congratulations!!!!
USCIS dont charge you a fee when you submit I-485 and I-765 together so you wont see a cash checked for that. If you had sent in payment for the I-765 it will be returned to you.

Congratulations!!!!
USCIS dont charge you a fee when you submit I-485 and I-765 together so you wont see a cash checked for that. If you had sent in payment for the I-765 it will be returned to you.

Great, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info!!!

10-27-2010 Checks cashed

Read that thread from start to finish (and still going). You've been really helpful to many on this forum and appreciate you watching out for us October filers too. God bless, and good luck!

Congratulations!!!!

Incorrect statement! The $1010.00 fee includes I-485, I-765 and I-131 filing fee.

Incorrect statement! The $1010.00 fee includes I-485, I-765 and I-131 filing fee.

If you read the information on the I-485 it says that if you are filing I-485 and I-765 concurrently then you do not need to submit an additional fee for the I-765.
The I-485 fee is $930 and $80 for the biometrics thus $1,010. However if you are submitting an I-765 separately the fee is $340 unless you can provide proof of filing an I-485. I am speaking from experience. My fee was returned to me.

If you read the information on the I-485 it says that if you are filing I-485 and I-765 concurrently then you do not need to submit an additional fee for the I-765.
The I-485 fee is $930 and $80 for the biometrics thus $1,010. However if you are submitting an I-765 separately the fee is $340 unless you can provide proof of filing an I-485. I am speaking from experience. My fee was returned to me.

Once again, they do charge the fee, it is included in the filing fee. If you don't want the I-131 (Advance Parole) or I-765 (EAD), you still have to pay the fee.

Hi greenmonster

Do a direct walk-in for Biometrics really speed up the process? I am not in town now so planning to go on the appointment date . If its really speeds up i can try a walk-in other wise its expensive for me .

Could you share with us the reason for RFE ?

Biometrics in LA, we live in Florida (northwest); it's about 4 hours 20 minutes....I plan to go next week as a walk in.....any suggestions? should i wait for 11/17?
Good Luck to all!!!

Biometrics in LA, we live in Florida (northwest); it's about 4 hours 20 minutes....I plan to go next week as a walk in.....any suggestions? should i wait for 11/17?
Good Luck to all!!!

Wow it's amazing how similar our timelines are (within a day pretty much). I plan on doing a walk-in next week as well. I heard the best thing to do is to bring your letter and when they ask if you have an appointment, just hand them the letter without saying anything.

If they ask me why I'm early I'll just say because my ride has an earlier appointment (his is on the 4th of Nov.) and I was hoping he didn't have to drive me all the way (about 60-70 miles) later this month...

Wow it's amazing how similar our timelines are (within a day pretty much). I plan on doing a walk-in next week as well. I heard the best thing to do is to bring your letter and when they ask if you have an appointment, just hand them the letter without saying anything.

If they ask me why I'm early I'll just say because my ride has an earlier appointment (his is on the 4th of Nov.) and I was hoping he didn't have to drive me all the way (about 60-70 miles) later this month...

Or another thing you can tell them is that you are going out of state. I told them that I just found out that I had exams the week of my biometrics and wouldnt be available. They just said since we are not busy you can do it. It took ten minutes the most. Try and go in the afternoon when they are least busy.

Good Luck