Any May filers around?

Crap... Got a Request for Initial Evidence today. Nice pink letter.. I guess my W2's from the past 3yrs, Copy of H1B, Copies of past 3 tax returns, and last 3 months pay stubs weren't sufficient enough.

Looks like I need to give them IRS transcripts, letter from employer,... etc

I'm curious why they would ask for IRS transcripts if you included your tax returns. Did you include copies of all your information returns (1099-INTs, 1099-B's, 1099-OID's, etc) with your taxes?

On that note, we had a weird situation with our taxes too, because my wife was still a dependent in 2004 and didn't have to file, so we were not sure what to include. We ended up including an addendum with reasons and evidence why she didn't have to file for 2004.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my taxes online and I submitted my complete tax forms... My wife who is the USC petitioner hasn't worked and hasn't filed any taxes. We included a letter from my wife stating that she didn't work or earn enough money for her to legally have to file taxes. I guess with my income being part of the household income.. well, the main source, they want an employment letter... The RFE isn't exactly explained too clearly and the way it's printed is dumb too.

I may be getting an RFE for my I-693 and perhaps even my Wife's Employment Letter / IRS Transcripts...

Still waiting on my RD/ND for my I-131 !

Oh well, patience...

Good luck with the FP appointment, Praetorian.

About the I-693 fees -- I saved a bundle like Austriacus by getting my immunization records faxed to the medical examiner's office. That left them to do my blood tests, TB x-ray, and physical exam. The self-help law book I've been using throughout this process mentions that the exam itself should cost approximately $70 (excluding any vaccinations you need) and that you should call the office beforehand to get a quote.

Austriacus -- my wife and I have been living together for the last five years, so I'm not in your situation, but I suggest you collect supporting documents that prove the bona fides of your marriage. This could include proof of jointly-owned property, like a car or home appliances. Perhaps you could also open a joint bank account if you don't already have one.

Shinkasen -- sorry to hear about the RFE. It sounds as though the letter from your employer should allay their concerns. Given that you're the main source of household income, they probably want to know you'll continue to be gainfully employed in the future, so make sure this is confirmed in the letter. Good luck.

UK citizen on F-1 visa, married to US citizen

I-130, I-485, I-864, I-693 concurrently filed
04/30/2007: package mailed via USPS
05/01/2007: received date
05/07/2007: notice date
05/08/2007: checks cashed
05/31/2007: biometrics appointment

Here's another May filer who tried to get in before the impending fee increase!

To comment on the earlier I-693 discussion, for reference, my total I-693 expenses were $125. I already had all the vaccines, and had my blood test done at the lab of the university where I'm enrolled to save another $10, and had the results faxed to the Civil Surgeon's office.

I'm curious if anyone else is in the situation I'm in, that my wife (who petitioned for me) is not currently living with me because we work in different cities, and how we can avoid that being a problem when the USCIS evaluates if we have a bonafide marriage.

My husband (USC) and I got married 2.5 months ago after knowing each other for 4 years. We live on 2 different coasts. We had our interview last week and I got my GC:D

We took proof of visits we made to each other, cell phone records, my name on his house's title deed, joint beneficiary (life insurance stuff), joint checking account statement . During the interview we were asked to provide joint proof and we provided all of these except cell phone records (4 years worth, it was a lot! they were not interested).

Since my husband is in graduate school part time (while working full time) we took his transcripts and plan of study. You should be able to explain why you are living separately.

Tairaesias and vaca100,

thanks for your input. I think we can easily prove that we work for employers in different cities, not sure if we also need to show that we were trying to search for jobs in each other's cities in an effort to move together ... but my wife has been applying for a lot of positions in my city (almost sounds like an employment based petition now :eek:).

I think we have a lot of other proof we can show. Joint bank accounts, credit cards, savings bonds, certificates of deposit. We are also joint residents on my apartment lease for almost 6 years now (and for 20 months we actually lived there together). Cell phone records is a good one, thanks for the suggestion, vaca100!

We included a statement with the I-130 regarding our living sitation, and even included wedding photos and our wedding program. For the interview, I suppose we'll also bring the hundreds of pictures from four years of visits to my home country.

But how would we prove that we commute to each other's cities on weekends? High mileage on both our cars? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
shinkansen, the USCIS definitely deserves an award for requesting evidence in the maximum number of words possible in your case.

Although not to be construed as legal advice, here is my interpretation. The I-864 instructions state, If you included the income of the intending immigrant who is your spouse (he or she would be counted on line 21a),evidence that his/her income will continue from the current source after obtaining lawful permanent resident status must be provided.

Could this be what they are really after? If you have provided them with W-2s and recent paystubs, IMO it shows past income, but not future income. The employer letter should help prove that. It looks like in addition they are asking for a copy of the I-94 showing your valid H-1B status, and your tax info again. Did the copy of your e-filed return include all the information statements that you don't usually file with the return (you keep them for your records)? I'd go with IRS transcripts for the RFE just to be safe.

shinkansen, the USCIS definitely deserves an award for requesting evidence in the maximum number of words possible in your case.

Yeah.. so much for their paperwork reduction act huh :eek: :D

Got the letter, a copy of my H1B extension NOA and I-94... and in about 14 days hopefully I'll have my IRS transcripts... Makes sense that they'd want something to prove future employment. Should help that I've worked at the same place for about 5yrs and have 2yr remaining on my H1B.

It's all about hoops and how well you jump through 'em :D

I checked my online status and got a LUD... the message didn't change, I can not see anything new or changed. Just that the date is now 5/22/07.

I wonder if they sent an RFE or would it say something?

The status still is "Case received and pending"

Shed some light?

05/07/2007 mailed package: i485, i765, i693, i864, i 485A

RD 05/08/2007
ND 05/16/2007
FP - 06/05/2007

05/07/2007 mailed package: i485, i765, i693, i864, i 485A

RD 05/08/2007
ND 05/16/2007
FP - 06/05/2007

When did you receive your FP notice/mail and which iis your DO?
My DO is Boston and my ND is 05/14 but I am yet to receive my FP notice.

My DO is Garden City, New York. I received the fingerprint notice on 5/22/2007.

I received the I-485 receipt notice on 5/21/2007.

I am still awaiting the I 765 receipt notice.

My DO is Garden City, New York. I received the fingerprint notice on 5/22/2007.

I received the I-485 receipt notice on 5/21/2007.

I am still awaiting the I 765 receipt notice.

Thank you very much, semaja. I hope my FP notice comes soon.

Ok. So this morning my "online case status" had a LUD of 5/22 and this afternoon it has one for 5/23.

It is good to know they are doing something... I just wish I knew what that "something" was...? Status still say "received and pending"

Does that message ever changes?

05/09 mailed i485/i130/i765/i864
05/14 NOA
05/15 checks cashed
05/21 NOA for biometrics
05/31 biometrics appointment

05/09 mailed i485/i130/i765/i864
05/14 NOA
05/15 checks cashed
05/21 NOA for biometrics
05/31 biometrics appointment

dee2006
I seem to have same timelines as you. I am yet to receive my Bio notice though. Will be keeping you posted on developments on my side.