Any May filers around?

Speaking of Welcome Guides, has anyone else noticed they have changed them on the USCIS website? There are many fewer languages than before, and they now have a Guide in polish!

I think I'm gonna get me a crisp new Welcome to the United States Guide - Revised Edition. As a christmas present from the USCIS Santa. :cool:

Speaking of Welcome Guides, has anyone else noticed they have changed them on the USCIS website? There are many fewer languages than before, and they now have a Guide in polish!

I think I'm gonna get me a crisp new Welcome to the United States Guide - Revised Edition. As a christmas present from the USCIS Santa. :cool:

Hey Austriacus!

Did they really release a guide in Polish?? Wow! But, I already have a guide from Praetorian, the one you were supposed to get :) Are those guides any different inside?

Hey Austriacus!

Did they really release a guide in Polish?? Wow! But, I already have a guide from Praetorian, the one you were supposed to get :) Are those guides any different inside?

The guide is not all that different - somewhat longer - it's hard to figure out what they changed, I think they filled in more detail here and there.

M-618-PL: Witamy w Stanach Zjednoczonych - Informator dla nowych imigrantów

You tell me if it's polish!

You already have your corrected Kartę Stałego Rezydenta? By the way, I've procrastinated and still haven't gone down to the Administracja Ubezpieczeń Społecznych yet to get a new SS card without INS restriction...

Well, there's only one more thing left for me to say:

„Uważamy następujące prawdy za oczywiste, że wszyscy ludzie stworzeni są równymi, że Stwórca obdarzył ich pewnymi nienaruszalnymi prawami, że w skład tych praw wchodzi życie, wolność i swoboda ubiegania się o szczęście.”

Yep, that's Polish!! I just downloaded the Polish version, and I will take a look at it later! Thanks!

Greetings to all the May Filers!

Greetings to all my fellow May filers,
I have great news to report today. My I-485 card production has been ordered. To jog your collective memories, my husband and I were approved on Sept 12 2007; however my name check was pending. It took the USCIS approximately 6 months from the date of file to adjudicate my approval.

I thank you, each and everyone in this forum, for all your invaluable advice, encouragement, positive thoughts, and above all, for being there for me during this 6-month process. This is a great early birthday gift for me and a wonderful Christmas gift for my husband and I.

I now look forward to submit graduate school applications with peace of mind (no questions about which category I fall in now - pending LPR?? and federal financial assistance :) ) and a break from the USCIS for the next 2 years or so.

With best wishes,
k.ambrose

Greetings to all my fellow May filers,
I have great news to report today. My I-485 card production has been ordered. To jog your collective memories, my husband and I were approved on Sept 12 2007; however my name check was pending. It took the USCIS approximately 6 months from the date of file to adjudicate my approval.

I thank you, each and everyone in this forum, for all your invaluable advice, encouragement, positive thoughts, and above all, for being there for me during this 6-month process. This is a great early birthday gift for me and a wonderful Christmas gift for my husband and I.

I now look forward to submit graduate school applications with peace of mind (no questions about which category I fall in now - pending LPR?? and federal financial assistance :) ) and a break from the USCIS for the next 2 years or so.

With best wishes,
k.ambrose

Big congratulations! you deserve it! :D

Congratulations k.ambrose, and thanks again for having told your interview experience which helped prepare my and my wife's mindset as to what we should expect at the interview, living in different cities.

Now go get that graduate degree! By the way, how does the federal assistance work, and how do you qualify? Can we get any federal grants? Are they all need based?

How many May filers are pending for GC?

I just need to get a head count on how many have got their petition approved and are waiting for name check?

For starters I am one :).

Hi, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all May filers!

Today I peeked under the christmas tree and found a package. It says on it that it's from "USCIS and your wife" and below it says "to welcome you." I wonder what's inside??? :D:D:D

Hi, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all May filers!

Today I peeked under the christmas tree and found a package. It says on it that it's from "USCIS and your wife" and below it says "to welcome you." I wonder what's inside??? :D:D:D

Merry Christmas my friend!

I will take a guess and say it's a... New shiny wallet for your GC ;)

Merry Christmas my friend!

I will take a guess and say it's a... New shiny wallet for your GC ;)

:D Maybe a new shiny fire proof safe would be more useful for the GC! But, since I'm "away from home" at my wife's city, celebrating Christmas with her and her cats and her family (my mom is visiting from Austria and is with us here too), I actually took my GC out of the drawer and have it here with me, as required by federal law!

The cats already got their Christmas presents since they are too impatient ... I hope to be able to report on the exacy contents of my mysterious package tomorrow! I hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi May filers and May filer wannabe's,

I hope everyone enjoyed (or still enjoys) the holidays!

Here's an update on the package I found under the christmas tree. Santa (or more appropriately the Christkind, or was it perhaps my wife? ;)) was very kind to me and got me the latest edition (9/07), shiny new guide entitled Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants, along with a combination pocket Constitution of the United States and Declaration of Independence from the Government Printing Office!

Please enjoy the attached pictures of our Christmas celebration. One of them shows my wife and I holding the Guide and Pocket Constitution/Declaration of Independence up to our Christmas tree. Another one shows a close up of the edition, indeed it is the Revised Edition 9/07. :cool: The final one shows me reading the Guide, sporting my new official UEFA Euro 2008 European soccer championship cap (the tournament will be jointly held in Austria and Switzerland next year).

Since many of you are still newlyweds like we are (or consider yourselves to be), I'll share the following story.

To celebrate our one year anniversary, we went to a Brazilian Steakhouse, and then we finally watched the movie Green Card. (I had found it a couple of months ago at a Goodwill store for 99 cents.) It was pretty funny, although the details about the immigration process didn't seem correct by today's standards (perhaps just outdated) at times. Then we proceeded to follow the tradition of eating our one year old cake top. Have any of you (or are you planning to) follow this tradition?

So, I'm going into the new year armed with my New Resident Guide, Constitution, and Declaration of Independence from which I should be able to deduce virtually all immigraton law questions next year. OK ... the Code of Federal Regulations and the Immigration and Nationality Act will probably be helpful too. And all of you!

Happy New Year,

Austriacus & his wife & our families