Another proof of profiling....

This makes some sense, but creates terrible inefficiency. The end result is that more people are waiting longer between LPR approval and N-400 ajudication, thus creating more "background" to "check," more likelihood of false hits on names, etc. There should be an assumption that an LPR may want to naturalize at some point, and the system of security checks for both applications streamlined.

I just told you why a background check is done for N-400 applicants. They want one more chance to catch any thing the LPR has done in the past, but with more emphasis on the time between LPR approval and N-400 adjudication. This way they often catch LPRs who have domestic warrants too.

It is the cynic in you. There are countries in this world where a non-citizen can live for 40 years and yet never qualify for citizenship. The US is very generous that it grants the privilege to immigrants to naturalise. Upwards of 95% of immigrants do qualify, though not all apply.

Perhaps it's the cynic in me speaking again, but I think that the U.S. doesn't really want to grant citizenship to immigrants

It is the cynic in you. There are countries in this world where a non-citizen can live for 40 years and yet never qualify for citizenship. The US is very generous that it grants the privilege to immigrants to naturalise.

But there's no need to be cynical about those countries, is there? They don't make the same claims to being open to immigrants. The point is that there is a disconnect between the image this country projects with respect to this openness and the actual practices. It's naive not to recognize that there are powerful political interests that benefit from promoting inefficiency in the immigration and naturalization system.

I am not a representative of the US government in any form or shape. I am an immigrant myself, who went through K-1, AOS and finally N-400. I am not going to argue (for or against) whether there are powerful political interests that benefit from promoting inefficiency in the immigration and naturalization system. Bottom line is, there does exist a mechanism to acquire US citizenship. The process is lengthy, confusing and perhaps frustrating. In other words, it is far from perfect. However, the end result is a privilege that is granted to immigrants. These immigrants know what they are getting into when they drop the N-400 in the mailbox. I am pretty confident the waiting period will be far easier (it was for me) if the applicants constantly remind themselves that, if successful, they will get something they had no birth right to.

But there's no need to be cynical about those countries, is there? They don't make the same claims to being open to immigrants. The point is that there is a disconnect between the image this country projects with respect to this openness and the actual practices. It's naive not to recognize that there are powerful political interests that benefit from promoting inefficiency in the immigration and naturalization system.

I couldn't agree more. The countries where one can't become a citizen after being a resident for 40 years are very open about their policy on immigration. Bottom line is the fact that the U.S. looks for any reason to deport immigrants, legal or otherwise. While deporting illegal immigrants is one thing, looking for ways to deport LPRs is quite the other. And it's a fact that the government is out to deport LPRs - otherwise, how do you explain certain minor misdemeanors being looked upon by the USCIS as an aggravated felony? Why would this same government NOT look for ways to deny naturalization applications?

The end result is a privilege that is granted to immigrants. These immigrants know what they are getting into when they drop the N-400 in the mailbox. I am pretty confident the waiting period will be far easier (it was for me) if the applicants constantly remind themselves that, if successful, they will get something they had no birth right to.

I'm trying to imagine someone "constantly reminding themselves" of this fact as a means of coping with a broken system. It seems like an excessively passive, if not servile, relationship to government. Which is arguably more un-American than a lot of things that they are screening for in the N-400 process.

This entire 'name check' process is nothing but a window dressing measure. Moreover it assumes that all the potential terrorists are immigrants.. I just visited a highly secure area of a major international airport (for a job related work) and the person that they put in there to guard the place was a 'home boy' , as American as a pie but dumb as a brick.
They should have fixed these things instead of coming up with processes that didn't even catch one terrorist!

However, the end result is a privilege that is granted to immigrants. These immigrants know what they are getting into when they drop the N-400 in the mailbox. I am pretty confident the waiting period will be far easier (it was for me) if the applicants constantly remind themselves that, if successful, they will get something they had no birth right to.
Being granted citizenship is a privilege, but having one's citizenship application processed is a service that immigrants pay for and they have a right to get a decision (whether approval or denial) in a timely manner and with fairness.