am I qualified for DREAM?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what ties to mexico would one need to prove that there is something to go back for? i mean my husband is a resident and soon will be able to get his citizenship and we are planning on helping his mom and dad get their papers to be here with us but like i am sure everyone has heard it would take up to 15 yrs for siblings....so if he was to file for himself, what type of ties to mexico would he need? thanks for any help on this situation!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what ties to mexico would one need to prove that there is something to go back for? i mean my husband is a resident and soon will be able to get his citizenship and we are planning on helping his mom and dad get their papers to be here with us but like i am sure everyone has heard it would take up to 15 yrs for siblings....so if he was to file for himself, what type of ties to mexico would he need? thanks for any help on this situation!

Um...why would you need to show ties to Mexico? The only reason you would need to show ties to Mexico would be if you were trying to get a nonimmigrant visa, because they want you to prove you have reason to return and not overstay. If you're trying to get his parents green cards, you don't need that.

The problem of the anti dream act people are that they have a short memory as well think they can change the truth of history.

Most people that came to the USA came because a family member was already in the USA, in fact all those anti immigrant people most likely have brought whole villages to this country.

But while the USA depends heavily on the world to achieve economy and wealth growth, those anti-immigrant people never come with a real solution.

I saw American people yelling about get in line to immigrants while:
• They jump on a boat without any paperwork to get on American soil;
• Escape poverty from their original countries overseas
• All of the against people are ‘white’

Is this something against Hispanics or is this against non-whites, in both cases it’s a WAKE UP CALL.

Worth it???

Thank you laxdef for that information, i hadnt realized that the first soldier to die in Iraq was Mexican. That is a real eye-opener and it settles many disputes any anti-immigrant person would have. i think the biggest problem in America is ignorance. People will believe anything they see in the media without forming an opinion of their own. I was brought here when i was 1yr old and i am now 21. So the realization has come that i live in a country where i am not accepted, why? because of a stupid classification. It doesnt matter what i can contribute, its like talking to a wall. Thats how frustrating it is and frankly, somtimes i feel like i am better off in Mexico, even if i have never been there in my life. But if i am able to work, drive, and be free--whatever that means in Mexico--then its not entirely out of the question for me. Although i may feel like i'm giving in, i dont see any improvement, the American Government is uncapable of taking care of its "own" people, what does that say for "us?"

I'm wondering if I would be eligible for the DREAM ACT if it gets passed (yes, I'm quite aware that it most probably won't). I have been in and maintained legal status since I arrived at the age of 14. After graduating with a bachelor's I promptly returned to my home country, for fear of becoming an illegal and potentially jeopardizing any future visa/immigrant application(s). I am now in my home country (Canada). Does one have to be currently living in the States in order to qualify? I meet all the requirements (5+ consecutive years living at a US address, graduated from US high school, criminal record clean, etc...). Thanks.

first of all it's really nice to have a forum like this for our Dreamers. Keep up the good work!

so i came to the US when I was 15 as a J-1 exchange student (by myself), then after a year of exchange period(during the period I stayed in HS but just for the sophmore year), I stayed here and changed my status to F-1(international student) and went directly go college. Now I am at Georgia Tech pursuing my second undergrad degree... (i've been legal all the time since I changed my status).

I've never been out of the country for all these years, so am I qualified?

thanks in advance for any help.

Nope the crazy thing about the Dream Act is that it only applies to illegals...many legals with no option to a greencard have to become illegal first, that is why I'm against the Dream Act....Legals first, then do something to solve the illegal issue.

Thanks for answering.

Lax, it is all about consequences. Parents are responsible for children, not the US taxpayers. If you use the argument that children "deserve" a chance to get legalization, then your rationale is flawed right there;how about children who did not come here ? How about millions of poor and well intentioned people who stayed in poor countries ? In my view they deserve more chances than those who jumped fences.

Moreover, if you talk about merits and who deserves what, then it is when you guys don't have a chance for any rewards. The Congress is supposed to work in countermeasures that addresses need of Citizens of the United States first. If so, then it is clear that granting legalization to you - through a loophole or otherwise - won't work because that amounts to amnesty, and that is well known it is just a magnet to attract more illegals which harms the country.

Listen, at certain point, children left your home country to come here. People sold houses back home, people left schools back home. The reverse trip and operation is doable and possible. You know it. After seven years in this country, with property here, thousands of dollars in the medicare system (which I cannot withdraw), one son and the next one coming, can I go home at anytime if the USCIS decides to kill my application, perhaps giving priority to yours (245i or what have you) ? Of course I should plan for it. By the way, the day that happens is when this country doesn't deserve good people anymore. This country is becoming more and more a photocopy of a third world country, full or corruption and favoritsm.

If America is still America and law is in control, then a real solution for this would be by making the US representatives talk to the respective government of your country and make a "Dream Act" back home, in which you could be welcomed there with a special reintegration program, cultural training, etc.

I also had my Dream and all the best universities game in this country was a "no". No for in-state tuition, no for scholarships, no for nothing. That made me suspend my MBA from a top US school just because I didn't have a chance to finish it. That is because I pay every single freaking year thousands of taxes and I don't get a dime in benefits while I was on this H1B thing.

Lax, people are fed up with the idea that "you deserve". Credits need to be given where credit is due. You have no credits and yet you are getting all the red carpet, and the legal people who are playing by the rules are getting just a finger. Many people are getting tired of you guys.

first the point is the children came here not because they chose to, but because they had to. if our parents say go, then we have to go. we have no choice. second, there is a rationale beyond being compassionate or charitable which you are perhaps missing. for instance we are talking about people that have been living here and are essentially american by the time they meet the qualifications. they have lived here, established a life here, etc. furthermore, their parents have not just been skating by.

in terms of the parents, most undocumented immigrants that have been here that long are law abiding citizens. that is other than the misdemeanor - yes misdemeanor - of crossing illegally. this is the vast majority. the vast majority are also hard workers that come here for just that - to work - then go home.

also the amount of money they contribute far outstrips the amount they take from the system. they contribute to ss through their paychecks which most will never collect on - the vast majority. they contribute taxes which most will never collect on. that just goes right into the pot for most of us to benefit from. they also contribute taxes through the goods they purchase. not to mention the gas they purchase to get from here to there. also they contribute either directly or indirectly to real estate taxes.

furthermore the jobs they take are for the most part jobs americans will not even in this recession that has proven to be the case. farmers across the nation have put adds since all the controversy looking for americans first giving them preference and were unable to fins citizens or legal migrants enough to fill their ranks - not by a long shot. as such the services they provide in turn create more jobs for americans, better paying jobs.

that is the parents. after all that and with the time stipulations required, it is safe to say the ki9ds are essentially undocumented americans. it is not the same as poor folks in other nations. they have been living here and contributing far more than they have taken. that is what the dream act is all about. it definitely is about there being credit owed where it is due. like it or not.