am I qualified for DREAM?

audictated

first of all it's really nice to have a forum like this for our Dreamers. Keep up the good work!

so i came to the US when I was 15 as a J-1 exchange student (by myself), then after a year of exchange period(during the period I stayed in HS but just for the sophmore year), I stayed here and changed my status to F-1(international student) and went directly go college. Now I am at Georgia Tech pursuing my second undergrad degree... (i've been legal all the time since I changed my status).

I've never been out of the country for all these years, so am I qualified?

thanks in advance for any help.

From reading the bill, I think you would be. The requirement is having been in the united states before the age of 16 and been continuously here for 5 years upon the bill's passage. By continously they mean you couldn't have left the country for more then 90 days. Here's a link to the actual bill. You should find the info in there.

(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding any other provision of law and except as otherwise provided in this Act , the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal of, and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, subject to the conditional basis described in section 5, an alien who is inadmissible or deportable from the United States, if the alien demonstrates that--

in other words, you are out since you are "legal." i am all in favor of a provision that adds peope like you. and let's say your visa's last day is on tuesday. if DREAM becomes law on tuesday, you are out. after tuesday, you are in.

TheInquisitor said:
in other words, you are out since you are "legal." i am all in favor of a provision that adds peope like you. and let's say your visa's last day is on tuesday. if DREAM becomes law on tuesday, you are out. after tuesday, you are in.

my visa expired after the 6th months I came here, but I say i am legal because I changed my STATUS to F-1 (but I still only have the J1 visa on my passport), and for international students, we are legal as long as we possess a valie I-20 document issued from the universatiy... :confused:

hmm this is getting frustrating :(

from the university, what about from immigration? anyway, if you are legal, you are out. if you think you are legal, but really illegal, you are in.

and with the other proposals is the same. have to check if there eis a provision for students, but the hagel-martinez and other bills exclude those who are legal. have an hb1 visa? you are out. like i said before, i am in favor of having you in.

any news on dream act???

that somebody got any news on immigration??if they go for the dream act do you know if it's going to be only mexicans or everybody???? thanks :confused:

thanks for your information, I don't know where to go to see the immigration bill?? they can't do different type of law that will take to much of administration they already have problem with that has it is! they should just do amnesty without any condition and then make it hard to get in!

puceml72 said:
thanks for your information, I don't know where to go to see the immigration bill?? they can't do different type of law that will take to much of administration they already have problem with that has it is! they should just do amnesty without any condition and then make it hard to get in!
No Amnesty! Every amnesty offered in the past has led to a rush on the southern border.

http://thomas.loc.gov/

You can look up pending legislation at the above link. S 2454 and S 2611 are what are going throught he Sentate now. 2611 has DREAM.

Although DREAM in a way is amnesty, in the end there are going to be certain exceptions. If DREAM is one then so be it. But to give over 11 million illegal aliens amnesty is out of the question.

The DREAM ACT can be used as a loophole to grant amnesty for millions of parents. If the children of illegal aliens, who are also illegals, are granted legal status, they can sponsor parents. If you think that Americans will be fooled by that loophole, think again.

It is very simple:
Children came here illegally and enjoyed education and several benefits paid by legal, honest US tax payers. Folks, it is time to say thanks. You guys who are anxious for the Dream Act already enjoyed a lot of benefits. Why you just don't recognize that, pack the bags and go back home happy ? You already have a better education than the ones who were left in your respective country.

TheChosenJuan said:
No Amnesty! Every amnesty offered in the past has led to a rush on the southern border.

http://thomas.loc.gov/

You can look up pending legislation at the above link. S 2454 and S 2611 are what are going throught he Sentate now. 2611 has DREAM.

Although DREAM in a way is amnesty, in the end there are going to be certain exceptions. If DREAM is one then so be it. But to give over 11 million illegal aliens amnesty is out of the question.

It is very simple:
Children came here illegally and enjoyed education and several benefits paid by legal, honest US tax payers. Folks, it is time to say thanks. You guys who are anxious for the Dream Act already enjoyed a lot of benefits. Why you just don't recognize that, pack the bags and go back home happy ? You already have a better education than the ones who were left in your respective country.

I understand where you are coming from, but what if you were brought here as a young child? Not remembering what your home country is like, making it a foreign country to you. Yes, the Dream Act can be looked at as an amnesty and a loophole for their parents, but do children not deserve a chance to prove themselves? If they worked hard in high school, are they not good enough for your standards to go to college and make a life for themselves? Many students need the Dream Act to work LEGALLY after college. Be hired by a firm, company, etc. The Dream Act will allow them to apply for loans and many wouldnt even consider going to a public school with in state tution. They are able to get scholorships for theuir hard work, whether through academics or athletics. I personally can benefit from the Dream Act and this post can be looked at as a bias look on the Dream Act. My parents pay taxes for my education. They do everything the HONEST American does. My father was able to get a tax # and he pays taxes from work and the property tax. The Dream Act is a way the undocumented children can go to school. They deserve it. Children should not be held back for wanting to go to school for a better life or serve in the military to protect the country they love. But this is just my opinion.

From your account name, I imagine you, yourself are waiting for a Green Card to be apart of this wonderful country. That is great because I wouldnt chose any other place to live other then America. But how would you like it if I told YOU to pack your bags and LEAVE this country? Of course I wouldnt say it, but just think how some children would feel if a stranger told them to just leave. They might as well go to their house and drag them out because you are telling them to leave their home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for answering.

Lax, it is all about consequences. Parents are responsible for children, not the US taxpayers. If you use the argument that children "deserve" a chance to get legalization, then your rationale is flawed right there;how about children who did not come here ? How about millions of poor and well intentioned people who stayed in poor countries ? In my view they deserve more chances than those who jumped fences.

Moreover, if you talk about merits and who deserves what, then it is when you guys don't have a chance for any rewards. The Congress is supposed to work in countermeasures that addresses need of Citizens of the United States first. If so, then it is clear that granting legalization to you - through a loophole or otherwise - won't work because that amounts to amnesty, and that is well known it is just a magnet to attract more illegals which harms the country.

Listen, at certain point, children left your home country to come here. People sold houses back home, people left schools back home. The reverse trip and operation is doable and possible. You know it. After seven years in this country, with property here, thousands of dollars in the medicare system (which I cannot withdraw), one son and the next one coming, can I go home at anytime if the USCIS decides to kill my application, perhaps giving priority to yours (245i or what have you) ? Of course I should plan for it. By the way, the day that happens is when this country doesn't deserve good people anymore. This country is becoming more and more a photocopy of a third world country, full or corruption and favoritsm.

If America is still America and law is in control, then a real solution for this would be by making the US representatives talk to the respective government of your country and make a "Dream Act" back home, in which you could be welcomed there with a special reintegration program, cultural training, etc.

I also had my Dream and all the best universities game in this country was a "no". No for in-state tuition, no for scholarships, no for nothing. That made me suspend my MBA from a top US school just because I didn't have a chance to finish it. That is because I pay every single freaking year thousands of taxes and I don't get a dime in benefits while I was on this H1B thing.

Lax, people are fed up with the idea that "you deserve". Credits need to be given where credit is due. You have no credits and yet you are getting all the red carpet, and the legal people who are playing by the rules are getting just a finger. Many people are getting tired of you guys.

laxdef14 said:
I understand where you are coming from, but what if you were brought here as a young child? Not remembering what your home country is like, making it a foreign country to you. Yes, the Dream Act can be looked at as an amnesty and a loophole for their parents, but do children not deserve a chance to prove themselves? If they worked hard in high school, are they not good enough for your standards to go to college and make a life for themselves? Many students need the Dream Act to work LEGALLY after college. Be hired by a firm, company, etc. The Dream Act will allow them to apply for loans and many wouldnt even consider going to a public school with in state tution. They are able to get scholorships for theuir hard work, whether through academics or athletics. I personally can benefit from the Dream Act and this post can be looked at as a bias look on the Dream Act. My parents pay taxes for my education. They do everything the HONEST American does. My father was able to get a tax # and he pays taxes from work and the property tax. The Dream Act is a way the undocumented children can go to school. They deserve it. Children should not be held back for wanting to go to school for a better life or serve in the military to protect the country they love. But this is just my opinion.

From your account name, I imagine you, yourself are waiting for a Green Card to be apart of this wonderful country. That is great because I wouldnt chose any other place to live other then America. But how would you like it if I told YOU to pack your bags and LEAVE this country? Of course I wouldnt say it, but just think how some children would feel if a stranger told them to just leave. They might as well go to their house and drag them out because you are telling them to leave their home.

Thanks for answering.

Lax, it is all about consequences. Parents are responsible for children, not the US taxpayers. If you use the argument that children "deserve" a chance to get legalization, then your rationale is flawed right there;how about children who did not come here ? How about millions of poor and well intentioned people who stayed in poor countries ? In my view they deserve more chances than those who jumped fences.

Moreover, if you talk about merits and who deserves what, then it is when you guys don't have a chance for any rewards. The Congress is supposed to work in countermeasures that addresses need of Citizens of the United States first. If so, then it is clear that granting legalization to you - through a loophole or otherwise - won't work because that amounts to amnesty, and that is well known it is just a magnet to attract more illegals which harms the country.

Listen, at certain point, children left your home country to come here. People sold houses back home, people left schools back home. The reverse trip and operation is doable and possible. You know it. After seven years in this country, with property here, thousands of dollars in the medicare system (which I cannot withdraw), one son and the next one coming, can I go home at anytime if the USCIS decides to kill my application, perhaps giving priority to yours (245i or what have you) ? Of course I should plan for it. By the way, the day that happens is when this country doesn't deserve good people anymore. This country is becoming more and more a photocopy of a third world country, full or corruption and favoritsm.

If America is still America and law is in control, then a real solution for this would be by making the US representatives talk to the respective government of your country and make a "Dream Act" back home, in which you could be welcomed there with a special reintegration program, cultural training, etc.

I also had my Dream and all the best universities game in this country was a "no". No for in-state tuition, no for scholarships, no for nothing. That made me suspend my MBA from a top US school just because I didn't have a chance to finish it. That is because I pay every single freaking year thousands of taxes and I don't get a dime in benefits while I was on this H1B thing.

Lax, people are fed up with the idea that "you deserve". Credits need to be given where credit is due. You have no credits and yet you are getting all the red carpet, and the legal people who are playing by the rules are getting just a finger. Many people are getting tired of you guys.

I hope you understand I completely understand your point of view. I respect you for working hard and being on the road to becoming a citizen of this fine country. My point is some children do "deserve" a chance for college. I mean come on, a student with a 4.15 or what ever GPA should have the oppurtunity to go to any school of their chosing. What you are asking children to do is to leave or be jailed for their parents decisions. Decisions that were made without their opinion. Leaving a home that they do not remember. We are talking about what is right for the children. It is wrong to tell the kids "hey you're not legal here. you don't deserve college even if you are ranked in the top five of your high school. just go HOME!" the problem with that is their "home" is here, in America. Punishment of innocent children is wrong.

From your post, I sense a bit of bitterness for the treatment you recieved when you were in school here. The difficulty to complete your MBA because the government did not assist you with the tuition. I almost feel that you are mad at the government and when the government is in a decision to prevent what happened to you to other you may be almost jealous. Jealous of the fact that the government did not look upon this bill to make life easier for you then.

Personally I feel America needs to secure its border first before any action. Terrorists, drugs, weapons, etc. can be easily smuggled into the country and we need to protect that from happening to our people. But the truth is to deport the whatever number of people in this country illegally is unrealistic. You know that. There is no way the government can deport everyone. If the children cannot go to school then what will they do? Work minium wage for their entire life, resort to gangs for support, deal drugs, become homeless? I mean all those kids COULD OF gone to school and made something of themselves. They do not have to be the next Bill Gates but be able to support themselves and their family.

"Credits need to be given where credit is due." I completely agree. Thus, credits need to be given to those kids that work hard in high school. Mistakes their parents made should not ruin their lives. Give them a chance. If a child's parents are arrested for illegal activities, the child is given to a proper care member. The only reason they try to give the child a new family is so they can live their life to the fullest without restrictions. What their parents did is not their fault.

I understand where you are coming from and I see your point. I also hope you understand my point in the Dream Act. Personally, I thank God for blessing my family with the financial ability to put me through any college. They worked hard for my family and be able to put me through college. I assure you my status will change with or without the help of the Dream Act. I am fortunate enough to have a PD waiting to become current and that is projected to be in about a year and a half. But not all people are that fortunate. Some people really need this to work so they are able to live life to the fullest. I hope you understand my argument. Best of luck to you with your GC and God Bless your family and soon-to-be newborn.

Those who say that the "taxpayers" should not be responsible for the mistakes of the parents brings in an important matter.

Whose fault is it really to begin with?

In 1995, legislation was passed to punish illegals and they tried to take away public education from these "illegal children". But the government chose not to.

Why???

There must be some purpose to why this did not happen. It meant that after completing our basic education it gave us that hope that we would do something with it.

Everyone knows that the way to rid ourselves of the beings we have created is to take away education and any right whatsoever to any kind of financial help. But we can't do that. We can't do that without inciting the wrath of people who believe that every child deserves a basic education.

So America, look at the educated people you have created. Do something with them!

Oathkeeper said:
Those who say that the "taxpayers" should not be responsible for the mistakes of the parents brings in an important matter.

Whose fault is it really to begin with?

In 1995, legislation was passed to punish illegals and they tried to take away public education from these "illegal children". But the government chose not to.

Why???

There must be some purpose to why this did not happen. It meant that after completing our basic education it gave us that hope that we would do something with it.

Everyone knows that the way to rid ourselves of the beings we have created is to take away education and any right whatsoever to any kind of financial help. But we can't do that. We can't do that without inciting the wrath of people who believe that every child deserves a basic education.

So America, look at the educated people you have created. Do something with them!

"Whose fault is it really to begin with?"
The parents who brought them here.

"Why???"
Public schools got more money. "We can't do that without inciting the wrath of people who believe that every child deserves a basic education." Maybe they weren't looking far enough down the road but the schools made money off of the illegals.

"So America, look at the educated people you have created. Do something with them!"
Sorry, the free ride is over after graduation from HS.

Oathkeeper said:
Wow. You refuse to acknowledge that our own country created this problem?

Pitiful.

The US did not create this problem. A lack of enforcement has certainly contributed to it. The problem was created when the parents brought the illegal alien children across the border.

Whats pitiful is there are many legal ways of entering the US and ultimately becoming US citizens. But these parents chose to ignore that, broke the law and in the process dragged their kids into it.

Whats pitiful is there are many legal ways of entering the US and ultimately becoming US citizens. But these parents chose to ignore that, broke the law and in the process dragged their kids into it.

I understand where you are coming from. Yes, there are tons of ways one can legally enter the US without crossing the border. For instance a work visa, a typical way for one to be sponsored to come to America and eventually get a GC and Citizenship. But the people in Mexico live under the poverty line and education is not available to all of them. Making it impossible to get a job in the US who will sponsor them to come here. Another form is the family sponsorship. Many of them do not have family ties that are USC. Making it very difficult to come here. If they are lucky, maybe a sibling of theirs got married to a USC and can sponsor the family. BUT the F4 catagory for siblings of USC can take up the 15+ years. That means another 15+ years of living in poverty and not being able to provide for their family. The last resort is to come to America. No matter how hard it may be for them, they look at it as being able to put food on the table for the family. The children who are brought here are screwed by their parents mistakes, but its not their fault. Many lived their entire lives here, making them Americans, just no papers to prove it. Many are able to contribute to the future of this country, by throwing them back is unrealistic.

That means another 15+ years of living in poverty and not being able to provide for their family. The last resort is to come to America. No matter how hard it may be for them, they look at it as being able to put food on the table for the family.
I find this hard to believe. Not the 15 year part but the living in poverty and not being able to feed their families. Have you seen the pictures of the starving people in Africa? I don't see any pictures like that coming out of Mexico. Where are the famine news stories?? Most of the adults who come across the border illegally already have jobs in Mexico. Why aren't they fighting there for higher wages?

Many lived their entire lives here, making them Americans
No it doesn't.

Many are able to contribute to the future of this country, by throwing them back is unrealistic.
Why don't they want to take their American education and contribute to the future of their own country. I keep hearing Viva La Raza and seeing people with Mexican, Guatamalan, El Salvadorian flags hanging from their vehicles. They must be pretty proud of where they came. Why don't they go back and make things better there? Throwing them back is not unrealsitic. It is the law.

Have you personally been to Mexico? I mean not Cancun or any other popular vacation spot for Americans. I am not Mexican myself but I have been there. I've seen first hand the harsh ways of life. I respect your opinion and I can see where you may be coming from, but just because its not in the headlines of the NY Times, or another popular newspaper does not mean it doesn't exist. Unless you know for a fact that people there all have jobs, I wouldn't bring it into an argument. The children, brought here by their parents as babies do not remember their country or birth. They know America as their home and it is where their childhood exists. Being American does not mean you are required to be born in this country. The first soldier to die in Iraq was Mexican. None the less, a Mexican that was brought here by his parents as a child. He was undocumented thoughout his childhood till he was able to change his status (by marriage I believe). He enlisted in the Army to fight and die for HIS country, the country he grew up in and died for. If that doesn't make him a true American I don't know what does. If you don't think hes American, even if he was undocumented at one time, there is something wrong with you. The only thing I can agree with you is the flags presented in the protests and demonstrations. Not the best move was made in that time. However, by thinking you can kick all the children of the undocumented is unrealistic. You are telling them to leave the only home they know. That is scary for anyone. Imagine someone coming into your home and forcing you to leave for something you didnt have a say in. The children should not be penalized for actions they had no say in. It is not their fault, a poor decision was made for them. Whatever the reason is for leaving their country, the kids that are brought here are Americanized. They live, talk, act, ect. like normal Americans. Kicking them out is unfair and inhumane.