Almost ready to send my N-400 form

Mia_ny

Registered Users (C)
I am almost ready to send in my N-400 form, I am so scared to make mistakes and lose my $680 !! Are they really THAT strict?

My question is, what will I be asked to bring in for the interview?
I know they will ask for a copy of the tax returns, anything else?
Do you know where I can ask for my tax return copies? I guess the IRS, but do you happen to have their phone number? So I won't have t be transferred 100 times? :)

Thanks!!!

What will be required or may be requested depends widely on your circumstances. At a minimum you need the green card and the interview letter. Everything else depends on your situation.

You can get IRS tax return transcripts by visiting your local IRS office in person. See http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/index.html. They often have long lines so be prepared to wait in line for an hour. Or you can request them by mail using form 4506T.

But you might not need the tax transcripts. Do you have extensive international travel or unpaid taxes, or are you applying based on 3 years of marriage to a US citizen?

Hi, I am applying as a 5 years Green Card holder, although I recently got married to an American Citizen.
I filed taxes every year. and traveled abroad about 100 days in 5 years.
Thanks

For a 5 year term, they won't ask for any tax return transcripts. Only your green card would be sufficient enough. They may ask for the I-551 stamp in your very first passport. But that's basic. They will ask you verbally if you have been filing taxes every year etc.

green card holder + marriage

Question: I have been a green card holder for 5 years now and I am gonna apply for citizenship.
I also recently got married but I do not think I can apply for citizenship through my husband as we literally got married last month.
Although my question is, will I have to include a copy of my marriage certificate as proof of name change?

Also, do you have to send the N-400 form + check etc with registered mail?

Do I need to send 1 check for $680, or 2 checks ($595 + $85?)

And one last question:
My husband was born abroad but ihs mother is an American citizen and she registered him - I have a copy of his certification of birth abroad.
My question is, in PART 8 of the form, PART D, when they ask if my husband is an American citizen from birth or other, do I put at birth even though he was registered 5 months after he was born?

Thanks

Tax transcripts is also know as Form 1722. It takes only a few days to get all these in the mail if you would request these documents over the phone with them at 1-800-829-1040 or thru their website wherein you would need to fill out Form 4506-T. If you would prefer to get it within a few minutes then IRS can even fax them to you right away if you would provide them a fax number over the phone.

Oh great Yham, I just asked this question in a new thread but you read my mind! Thanks!!! I am asking for the transcripts right now .

If you're applying under the 5 year term then there's no need for the tax transcripts. Sometimes you have to pay $57.00 to get the transcripts.
Tax transcripts are only necessary if applying under the 3 year term or if you owe to the IRS. If you don't fall under these two categories, then the tax transcripts would be irrelevant.
Usually on a 5 year term they don't ask for the transcripts. Just a basic verbal question, "Have you been paying taxes every year?" is a normal question.

Good to know Speakamericano - I requested them just in case, I'll have them in my bag just in case that day they fell .... like asking for them, who knows ....
Hopefully they won't ask for them.
They are sending them to me for free - thanks!!!!

Tax transcripts are only necessary if applying under the 3 year term or if you owe to the IRS. If you don't fall under these two categories, then the tax transcripts would be irrelevant.

If you are filing with the 5 year rule and have extensive travel that puts your continuous residence into question, it is important to have tax transcripts to show that you filed taxes during your lengthy absences abroad.

If you are filing with the 5 year rule and have extensive travel that puts your continuous residence into question, it is important to have tax transcripts to show that you filed taxes during your lengthy absences abroad.
It mentions on the white letter/yellow letter if they're necessary. In any case, the OP should also get Police Clearance report as well if just preparing for your own peace of mind. That'd help too.
The OP mentions he's been out for only 100 days in the past 5 years. 100 days out of 1825 shouldn't be a big deal as there are 180 days in 6 months alone

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mia_ny,
Yes you need to provide proof for name change. One single check is fine.
Late registration is not a problem you can select from birth option.
Do include a Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

good luck!

Question: I have been a green card holder for 5 years now and I am gonna apply for citizenship.
I also recently got married but I do not think I can apply for citizenship through my husband as we literally got married last month.
Since you've been a GC holder for 5 years you would apply under 5 year rule.

Although my question is, will I have to include a copy of my marriage certificate as proof of name change?
Yes.
Also, do you have to send the N-400 form + check etc with registered mail?
No, but you can if it puts you at ease.
Do I need to send 1 check for $680, or 2 checks ($595 + $85?)
One check.
And one last question:
My husband was born abroad but ihs mother is an American citizen and she registered him - I have a copy of his certification of birth abroad.
My question is, in PART 8 of the form, PART D, when they ask if my husband is an American citizen from birth or other, do I put at birth even though he was registered 5 months after he was born?

Thanks
It asks at birth, not from birth. Since your husband's citizenship was from parent it is considered by birthright, so you would select at birth.
Also, read the guide if you haven't already done so.
www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Special abilities Green Card + marriage

Hello again, so, yes, I am freaking out I have a few more questions:

1) I got my Green Card 5 years ago on "special abilities" as I used to be a well known model back in my Country.
Now unfortunately I am unemployed and on Medicaid, will that affect my citizenship process? I would give up Medicaid if it does.

2) I got married last year in NY with a religious ceremony although I didn't get LEGALLY married 'till this April. What should I put on my form on PART 8, SECTION B - date of marriage?
Should I put the religious ceremony date or the date the Marriage Certificate was accepted? Or any date after the marriage certificate was received as it doesn't really matter?

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Thanks

Hi, where do I get the Police Clearance report from? I really wasn't involved in anything Police concerned - not even a car ticket. Thanks

Special Abilities Green Card + Marriage

Hello again, so, yes, I am freaking out I have a few more questions:

1) I got my Green Card 5 years ago on "special abilities" as I used to be a well known model back in my Country.
Now unfortunately I am unemployed and on Medicaid, will that affect my citizenship process? I would give up Medicaid if it does.

2) I got married last year in NY with a religious ceremony although I didn't get LEGALLY married 'till this April. What should I put on my form on PART 8, SECTION B - date of marriage?
Should I put the religious ceremony date or the date the Marriage Certificate was accepted? Or any date after the marriage certificate was received as it doesn't really matter?

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Thanks