• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2014 dv winners meet here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I've had my interview today, and it was successful. Thanks everybody for the support you showed me along the way. I will post the details of my interview experience as soon as the dust settles ;-)

Congrats!

Thanks binafana and lehw!

Those of you who have had a successful interview, you may check the status of your visa at the following address. [Choose IMMIGRANT VISA (IV) for Visa Application Type, use the case number format 2014AFXXXXX (no need for the zeros in the case number), and click submit.]

https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

The address for registering for the DHL courier service may be found at:

https://usvisa-info.com/

Choose the "Permanent Visas" link, and follow the instructions from there. Additional information may be found here: http://ethiopia.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html.

Hope you'll find these tips useful.

Dear gett how are you?

You have not told us when your interview is going to be. Please let us know.

AND i wish sadat13 all the best as he is now facing the CO. We are waiting bro, break the news!!!

I am fine Ormania,u? sorry, my interview date wii be tuesday feb 18.

Congrats sadat13!!!

Thank you for the interview experience Ison2013! Were there a lot of DV interviews on the same day? Did a lot of people get refused?

By the way, I need some advice.

I qualify for the DV based on education - I have 2 high school degrees (one ESLCE for grade 12 and one Baccalaureat from Lycee in grade 13); plus I have done both my BA and MBA degrees in American universities.

However, my high school transcript only shows the last three years of high school (grades 11, 12 and 13) since those were the years I was at Lycee. Grades 9 and 10 were done in a small school in southern Africa, and I don't have a transcript from there.

Obviously, I will be contacting the school to see if they will issue me a transcript, but I am concerned. First of all, the school was very very small so I don't know if they have that kind of information still on file. Second, I left that school back in the late 90s and they have relocated to another part of town. Finally, that was also a French school, so transcripts are not usually prepared so I don't know if they will be issuing me one even if I reach them.

So, do you guys think this will be a huge problem? How do you think I should handle it?

By the way, I need some advice.

I qualify for the DV based on education - I have 2 high school degrees (one ESLCE for grade 12 and one Baccalaureat from Lycee in grade 13); plus I have done both my BA and MBA degrees in American universities.

However, my high school transcript only shows the last three years of high school (grades 11, 12 and 13) since those were the years I was at Lycee. Grades 9 and 10 were done in a small school in southern Africa, and I don't have a transcript from there.

Obviously, I will be contacting the school to see if they will issue me a transcript, but I am concerned. First of all, the school was very very small so I don't know if they have that kind of information still on file. Second, I left that school back in the late 90s and they have relocated to another part of town. Finally, that was also a French school, so transcripts are not usually prepared so I don't know if they will be issuing me one even if I reach them.

So, do you guys think this will be a huge problem? How do you think I should handle it?

Tew, strictly speaking they are looking to see evidence that someone has the equivalent education as a US High school education. That means different things in different countries. For Ethiopia, the standard is well described on the US embassy website. It says:-

You must possess one of the following as evidence of your educational qualifications:
An Ethiopian Leaving Certificate Examination (12th grade) showing at least 5 passing grades, (or)
A 12th grade ESLCE and a Teacher Training certificate, (or)
Proof of graduation from the Ethiopian Military Academy (or
Proof of graduation from a TVET 10+3 program. New TVET certificates documenting levels of achievement are not accepted because they do not meet the minimum requirement of 12 years of basic education. Any educational document presented may be subject to independent verification by U.S. Embassy staff.
You must submit official copies of school transcripts along with the above certificates. These requirements are determined by U.S. immigration law, and are not determined by this Embassy.

Now then. It is important to note that the standard of US high school education is the entry point for a US University. There are ways to test out of that requirement for international students, but in general, your attendance to US Universities will stand you in good stead. So - I think it would be a very unusual situation if a CO looked at US BA and MBAs and said you were not qualified. However, do all you can to present as complete a picture as possible for the interview. I'm sure you will be OK!

Hey guys it's my first time here.i'd like to say"hi".i went through all the discussion u had on this forum and it's very helpful and informative,sharing ideas and experiences,it's something that should be appreciated,keep up the good work.thats being said I have a question.
1.It says "English Translations*–*If documents requiring English translation were not sent to the NVC, you must obtain them and present them on the day of your interview."I have seen this question being asked once but didn't get the direct answer so I am asking again.which documents needs to be translated to English?
2.about the medical exam,the place I went(IOM behind DH GEDA building doesnt give vaccination,they said it isn't mandatory for appicants of us embassy),regardless is it manadatory for dv winners like us to be vacinated,if yes where can I get this service here in addis?
P.s congrats to all of u who just been granted visa and for the rest god luck may God be wit u.

Tew, strictly speaking they are looking to see evidence that someone has the equivalent education as a US High school education. That means different things in different countries. For Ethiopia, the standard is well described on the US embassy website. It says:-

You must possess one of the following as evidence of your educational qualifications:
An Ethiopian Leaving Certificate Examination (12th grade) showing at least 5 passing grades, (or)
Proof of graduation from a TVET 10+3 program. New TVET certificates documenting levels of achievement are not accepted because they do not meet the minimum requirement of 12 years of basic education. Any educational document presented may be subject to independent verification by U.S. Embassy staff.
You must submit official copies of school transcripts along with the above certificates. These requirements are determined by U.S. immigration law, and are not determined by this Embassy.

Now then. It is important to note that the standard of US high school education is the entry point for a US University. There are ways to test out of that requirement for international students, but in general, your attendance to US Universities will stand you in good stead. So - I think it would be a very unusual situation if a CO looked at US BA and MBAs and said you were not qualified. However, do all you can to present as complete a picture as possible for the interview. I'm sure you will be OK!

Thanks Simon. I definitely meet the US standard. I did 13 years of schooling prior to university! So in fact, I actually exceed it.

I'll do my best to get the transcript, but if I can't, then I'll ask the school where I graduated to look through their files and see if they can give me a transcript based on the documents submitted to them when I applied to join them.

Congra ison2013 and sadat. Wellcome to USA. This is the destiny for all forum's members.
God be with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wellcome to this forum.
Regarding ur question. The documents that is wrriten in Amharic language need to be translated. For example, work experiance.
About the second question, IOM did not give vaccination. I took my medical in IOM. They give u vaccination based on ur medical history.otherwise, vaccination is not mandatory. It means the doctor decide u took vaccination or not. So, don't worry. It is not mandatory.

Tew i agree with britsimon, and i don't think it is that much a problem....You just tell them if they asked you the truth. That's what they need.

Hi Ormania and Danny and Dv hopefuls and succesfuls 2014,

I love the format your using showing whose current and projected interview dates.Congrats on good work and am learning from you too.Inshallah we shall get positive news by end of 2014.

Thank you pose, do keep visiting us.

Thanks binafana and lehw!

Those of you who have had a successful interview, you may check the status of your visa at the following address. [Choose IMMIGRANT VISA (IV) for Visa Application Type, use the case number format 2014AFXXXXX (no need for the zeros in the case number), and click submit.]

https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

The address for registering for the DHL courier service may be found at:

https://usvisa-info.com/

Choose the "Permanent Visas" link, and follow the instructions from there. Additional information may be found here: http://ethiopia.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html.

Hope you'll find these tips useful.

That's a good info ison, thak's a lot!!!

Hey guys it's my first time here.i'd like to say"hi".i went through all the discussion u had on this forum and it's very helpful and informative,sharing ideas and experiences,it's something that should be appreciated,keep up the good work.thats being said I have a question.
1.It says "English Translations*–*If documents requiring English translation were not sent to the NVC, you must obtain them and present them on the day of your interview."I have seen this question being asked once but didn't get the direct answer so I am asking again.which documents needs to be translated to English?
2.about the medical exam,the place I went(IOM behind DH GEDA building doesnt give vaccination,they said it isn't mandatory for appicants of us embassy),regardless is it manadatory for dv winners like us to be vacinated,if yes where can I get this service here in addis?
P.s congrats to all of u who just been granted visa and for the rest god luck may God be wit u.

Hi engef, welcome to the forum.

As puigyui said it, you have to translate any document that is in Amharic (or in any other local language) into English. You will take the document to translation office and do it. Regarding the vaccination please if the doctors say you don't need it that means you don't need it. No need to worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As promised, here is what I observed during my interview experience. [Note that this is my personal experience and what others have gone through might be different in the details.]

If your appointment letter states the appointment time as 8:00 am , you'll have to arrive there at least by 7:30 am. Remember to take all your documents with you.

After going through a routine security check (Very thorough! Be advised to put all metallic objects at home or with a friend outside to make this experience as pleasant as possible), you'll be allowed to enter the waiting and interview room.

At the entrance to this room, you'll be received by a lady who will give you a folder/case with a paper containing instructions (in Amharic and English) on how to arrange your documents. Put your documents in the stated order in the folder, and return to the same lady. After the lady has checked all the documents and if everything is in order, she will call you and give you another paper (to be submitted in the afternoon, in Amharic and English) that details the terms and conditions under which you will be treated and to which you'll show your agreement by signing, along with a slip that states the interview time (1:00 pm). Note, the interview is conducted in the afternoon.In the afternoon, you will pass through the same checkpoint.

After entering the interview room, you will be called to another document checking session, and if everything is alright you will be told to pay the 330 USD at another window (clearly labeled). After paying the fee, you will take the receipt to the document checking lady. Here you will be given a choice between Amharic and English for the interview language. Every consular officer has a local person by his side. Finger prints will also be taken at this window. After this, you'll have to wait until your name is called by the consular officer. When your name is called, you will go to the window number to which you are called. Here you will be greeted by the CO, swear on the authenticity of the information by raising you right arm, will be asked a few questions, and, if everything is fine, you'll be told you qualify for the DV and be told to sign the original document you have sent the KCC. After signing the documents, your educational and work experience documents will be returned to you. The officer will also give you a yellow paper containing information about USCIS fee. [If you have not registered for DHL courier services, you will also be receiving instructions on how to do it.] That's it!

Things to note before going to the interview:

-Have a renewed kebele ID card, because you'll be required to show it at the entrance gate before going in for the main interview. (Your passport will be collected in the morning.)
-Name spelling discrepancies didn't seem to matter, not at least in my case. (I had the wrong vowel(s) in my first, middle and last names on my high school transcript.)
-Have photocopies of ALL your documents on both sides of the leaf.
-8th grade certificate was not necessary, and it was returned to me right away.
-To expedite the processing of your visa, please register for DHL courier service before going to the interview. And have your registration confirmation sheet with you.

Questions I was asked included (paraphrased):

-Have you lived outside of Ethiopia for more than a year?
-What's the highest level of education you have attained? Where? What institution? What field of study?
-Where do you work? What is the nature of your work?

Congratulations ison2013 and thank you for sharing the experience. & also Congratulations to sadat13.

First ntspeli

Hey Every one please help me i am one of the winner of dv 2014 and my case no is 2014AF00033***

Status
Not open for further replies.