After Green Card: Asylum U.S Citizenship Questions

Please Need a Help

I am an Asylee since 2005 , I came to this country on 2003 with a fake passport . Today I want to travel out side the US not to my cop, but just to see my sister in a 3rd country .
My question is: after having a RTD and leave the country, upon my return do u think I will be denied the admession to US because, originally I entred with a fake passport?
I red in a lot of legal web sites and it say the IO at the airport goes through all your immigartion history.

Please any body there in simmilar situation who traveled out side the US? thank you . :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Citizenship Interview

Hello ,
I Need help Plz, I received a letter for my interview today saying its in 2 weeks , i need to know what kind of question they asked anyone on their interview? and how to i have to dress for the interview?thnakz

salina

Dress like the way your will respect yourself.
Question I dont know, But my friend said It wasn't hard. American history and writing and reading sometimes more sometimes less depends on your previouse experience in collage sometimes.

Dont be worry, I hope someone can answer your question better than me but good luck.
Since you have raised this question, I need to ask you about the date you aplied for citizenship and day you got fingerprint notice to appeare and date you got interview, if you don't mind. I am applying 12 months from now.

Thanks in advance.

asylee with green card applying for citizenship

Hi all...

For green card through marriage they only need to wait 3 years. However, for asylee with green card, we have to wait 5 years since the approval of he green card to apply for the citizenship. Basically, the process is the same as any other greencard holder (N400).

I hope this help.

:)

ena said:
Hi all...

For green card through marriage they only need to wait 3 years. However, for asylee with green card, we have to wait 5 years since the approval of he green card to apply for the citizenship. Basically, the process is the same as any other greencard holder (N400).

I hope this help.

:)

For asylees four years from the date of actual green card approval.

Hey

Thankful,

Do you mind me asking where did you get that information from (the fact that it takes 4 years for citizenship) I heard it from other people, so I think you are right, but until I see it with my own eyes . . .

Thanks

Hi Salina,

How is your interview going, could you tell us your experice?

Thanks,

Sea_Blue

salinachka said:
Hello ,
I Need help Plz, I received a letter for my interview today saying its in 2 weeks , i need to know what kind of question they asked anyone on their interview? and how to i have to dress for the interview?thnakz

salina

I would really appreciate if somebody can give me some advice. I have political asylum and I applied for the GC 1 yr ago. I’m planning to get marry this year with somebody who came with student visa but who lost his legal status. I really love him and I do not want to stop my wedding and family plans because immigration issues.

My lawyer told me I have to wait for my citizenship in order to help him (around 5 years? It is ok!), but I have just reviewed the form I have to use to apply for the citizenship, and it asks about marital status and legal situation of your spouse. Could that information bring some problems to him or/and to my application? Could immigration say NO to my citizenship application because I have been married with somebody without legal status? Could they use that information to deport him and avoid I can request his GC when I get the citizenship?

Please help me!!!

Citizenhsip question. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Hi, I am GC holder through asylum. Now I am getting ready to apply for my US citizenship. On the N-400 Application it asks you to list the countries that you have visited since you became a PR. Does anyone know that if an asylee has visited the country of origin during this time and mentions that on the N-400 application, would that hurt the chances of getting a smooth citizenship.
I do understand that not telling the truth can hurt even more.....
Any suggestions, advice....

Thank you for your time.

To Blara

You are going to be the first person I know who is applying for citizenship as an asylee. My only advice is not to lie. If you do, It will be worst than going back to your country of origin. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted.
Suerte :)

N400

does any one know since when you are a legal recident? the reason why I am asking is because you have 5 years to aply for ur citizen . does any one know about this??

juan gomez said:
does any one know since when you are a legal recident? the reason why I am asking is because you have 5 years to aply for ur citizen . does any one know about this??

It should be on your card.......It the date since of your residence...

Waiting time to apply for Citizenship

Does anyone know if the bill has been passed to qualify 4 years after the GC was issued?:)

That bill has not passed yet. We are hoping it will. In that case those who are fluent in English would be qualified to apply 4 years after the GC issue date which is roughly 3 years after receiving the GC since the GC's are backdated.

Wait period to apply for citizenship

Hi-

I got my green card 11/2006 through asylum and i wanted to confrm if we still apply for citizenship after 3 years and 9 months or if the laws have changed in 2008-2009. I am asking because I see posting on this forum from 2006 that state that we should apply after 3 years and 9 months from the date on the green card for citizenship and I wanted to ask if it still holds true now in 2009.

Also how long is it taking for background checks ?

Thanks

SMalik

No, it's 3 years and 9 months (actually 4 years minus 90 days) from the time you are approved, not the date on an asylee's GC, which is backdated.

So you mean 3 years and 9 months from the date the asylum was granted ? I thought the green card date is backdated one year to conside with asylum grant date.

No. The date on your greencard that shows the beginning of your permanent residence? That's the date you always consider. So, from that date, it's 5 years minus 90 days before you can apply for citizenship, or, 4 years minus 90 days from the date that they approved your greencard, NOT your asylum application.

What is the differnce between the green card approval date and date listed on the green card ? If i remember correctly I got the notice in mail that my green card is approved and after few weeks I recieved my green card. Sorry it is a bit confusing.