After Green Card: Asylum U.S Citizenship Questions

Miss.PinK said:
Yeah, I agree that we need a threads where ex-asylee can share their experienced. coz I wanna know whether the interviewer gonna ask the same question like the one when we got our asylum interview. And yes, my case is not approved yet also and it's going to take me 4 years to get my citizenship :p .. but yeah .. coz' I kinda confuse when I enter the "citizenship" threads, they have different background. some are greencard lottery. through marriage. from H1. etc etc. while we are from asylum background. thx to bring up that idea. and goodluck to all of us :)
Hi Miss.Pink,
I noticed on your signature that your file was not found on March 30!!!! Congradulations! You are getting close! I am sure you will get your approval soon!

By the way, I agree with what your mother always said! It's a great advice :)

How Many Year?

I have been told by 3 diferent people that for asylees now the naturalization process begins from the aproval letter because from that date you are in some kind of legal residency. In Miami they are giving citizenship to cases like this. Can someone tell me if this is true? Thanks

firevic said:
I have been told by 3 diferent people that for asylees now the naturalization process begins from the aproval letter because from that date you are in some kind of legal residency. In Miami they are giving citizenship to cases like this. Can someone tell me if this is true? Thanks

What do you mean with approval letter? Asylum granted or GC received?

Cl_Asylee said:
What do you mean with approval letter? Asylum granted or GC received?
Wouldn't be a dream come true if it's from asylum approval date and if it's true?!!! :)

firevic said:

That is true for refugees only. Asylees have to count five years from date on GC to apply for citizenship.

What Is The Fate Of The Citizenship Amendment?

does any body have any information regarding the citizenship amendment that passed 3 weeks ago?

lets say that the immigration bill will pass in the next 2 weeks after the senate comes back from their recess, will the amendment will be attached to the bill?

and lets say if the immigration bill died in theb senate, will the amendment be attached to a future bill? if the answer is yes, when ?

sorry , the reason iam desperate for these answers because iwant to be naturalized as soon as possible, i like to move outside america

ND : FEB 2001
FP : MAY 2004
BIO : AUG 2 2005
APPROVED : AUG 16 2005
ELIGIBLE FOR CITIZENSHIP ON : MAY 16 2009, ITS GOING TO BE A LONG 3 YEARS

John Smith 1:

If I was not under drug effects, I remember that you wrote long time ago in this forum that you will apply for citizenship five (5) years after your ASYLUM was granted. So, I was under drug effects or not? Thanks.

Asylum Citizenship Time???

Well, I mean the asylum granted aproval letter. As far as I know refugee and asylee are pretty much the same, the only difference is the location where filing the aplication. Any way this isimportant for us and maybe there's is a loop in law that can benefit us.

firevic said:
Well, I mean the asylum granted aproval letter. As far as I know refugee and asylee are pretty much the same, the only difference is the location where filing the aplication. Any way this isimportant for us and maybe there's is a loop in law that can benefit us.

1. Continuous Residence
“Continuous residence” means that you must live in the U.S. as a permanent resident for a certain period of time. Most people must be permanent residents in continuous residence for 5 years (or 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen) before they can begin the naturalization process. For refugees, this means 5 years from the date you arrived in the U.S., which is usually the date you obtained permanent resident status. For those granted asylum status in the U.S., this period begins one year before you got permanent resident status. The date on your Permanent Resident Card is the date your 5 years begins. If you leave the United States for a long period of time, usually 6 months or more, you may “break” your continuous residence.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/becoming.htm#Naturalization: Becoming a Citizen

John Smith 1 said:
does any body have any information regarding the citizenship amendment that passed 3 weeks ago?

lets say that the immigration bill will pass in the next 2 weeks after the senate comes back from their recess, will the amendment will be attached to the bill?

and lets say if the immigration bill died in theb senate, will the amendment be attached to a future bill? if the answer is yes, when ?

sorry , the reason iam desperate for these answers because iwant to be naturalized as soon as possible, i like to move outside america

keep checking this link:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:HR04168:@@@L&summ2=m&

John Smith 1 said:

It is stalled in the Senate like the rest of the immigration reform bill. As for your other questions you will have to ask God Himself. :p

I have a question about citizenship.

I heard that has been a new rule about time frame, any idea about that??? something about three years???

What about if you get you GC back dated?

Thanks for your answer
__________________________________________________ _
Asylum granted 9/03
ND 9/04
Transferred to Texas 12/8/05
LUD Change 12/08/05 1/12/06
RFI 1/12/06
Bio Done 1/25/06
RFI 1/19/06 Request G325A, I693
LUD Change 3/7/06 3/8/06 3/30/06 4/1/06
4/14/06 welcome notice by email
4/21/06 GC in hands

jcasylee said:
I have a question about citizenship.

I heard that has been a new rule about time frame, any idea about that??? something about three years???

What about if you get you GC back dated?

Thanks for your answer
__________________________________________________ _
Asylum granted 9/03
ND 9/04
Transferred to Texas 12/8/05
LUD Change 12/08/05 1/12/06
RFI 1/12/06
Bio Done 1/25/06
RFI 1/19/06 Request G325A, I693
LUD Change 3/7/06 3/8/06 3/30/06 4/1/06
4/14/06 welcome notice by email
4/21/06 GC in hands

That bill has not passed yet. We are hoping it will. In that case those who are fluent in English would be qualified to apply 4 years after the GC issue date which is roughly 3 years after receiving the GC since the GC's are backdated.

clotty said:
That bill has not passed yet. We are hoping it will. In that case those who are fluent in English would be qualified to apply 4 years after the GC issue date which is roughly 3 years after receiving the GC since the GC's are backdated.
Hi Clotty, do you have any more info on this bill? like the number and all the conditions? i don't mean to brag but my english is really good :D

GC holder since 9/04 backdated to 9/03

sbernal said:
Hi Clotty, do you have any more info on this bill? like the number and all the conditions? i don't mean to brag but my english is really good :D

GC holder since 9/04 backdated to 9/03
Hi. All I know about that is from the info on this thread: click here

clotty said:
That is a good idea. And yeah, I am sure there will be lots of threads and questions, etc. So it won't be a dead section.
Hi clotty - and everybody - lucku to get Green Card with Asulum status!
There is no problem or differerence to apply for citizenship for asylees - you can apply in 4 years, 9 months and 1 day after the date on your Green Card - which should be the date of your approval on I-485 minus one year (f.ex. your I-485 was approved on November 9, 2005 - you should apply for US Citizenship on August 10, 2009). If any specific question re. N-400 Application for Naturalization - I will be happy to answer (great experience in filling it out for 4 years in NYC) - just E-mail me.

Mila from Y said:
Hi clotty - and everybody - lucku to get Green Card with Asulum status!
There is no problem or differerence to apply for citizenship for asylees - you can apply in 4 years, 9 months and 1 day after the date on your Green Card - which should be the date of your approval on I-485 minus one year (f.ex. your I-485 was approved on November 9, 2005 - you should apply for US Citizenship on August 10, 2009). If any specific question re. N-400 Application for Naturalization - I will be happy to answer (great experience in filling it out for 4 years in NYC) - just E-mail me.

I hope you used a spellcheck program before you sent out those applications, seriously.

yellowdarling said:
I got my GC in March with AS06 on it.
IF I married a USC, would there be a way to get rid of that troublesome AS06??

No (unless you give up your current GC, leave the United States and reapply!!!!).

Having an AS06 on your card is not that bad.

Last edited by a moderator: