After all theses new American Citizens...National Passport Renew...

ASYLUM-NY

Registered Users (C)
Guys, first of all, i want to say that i am really happy to see all the ex asylees becaming proud American Citizens! I still have to wait until end of 2011...
I want to know what do you guys think now, after all thoses citizenship interviews, about renewing the national passport, i am not talking about going to country of persecution, but using the national passport to travel to other countries. Do you think now, that is ok to renew the NP since nobody had any problems in their interviews?

Guys, first of all, i want to say that i am really happy to see all the ex asylees becaming proud American Citizens! I still have to wait until end of 2011...
I want to know what do you guys think now, after all thoses citizenship interviews, about renewing the national passport, i am not talking about going to country of persecution, but using the national passport to travel to other countries. Do you think now, that is ok to renew the NP since nobody had any problems in their interviews?
I can't seem to understand the reasoning. Why would you have gone to so much trouble to get American citizenship/PASSPORT only to turn around again and want to renew your COP passport. Why would you still want to avail yourself protection of the country that was unable to provide you protection or was directly the cause of your presecution. Can you explain the reasoning on why you would want to do so? Does your COP even allow dual citizenship? You can run into trouble if you use the NP to go to your COP. The US Embassy/consulates (if they exist in the country) may not be able to help you if you get into trouble. Please explain, thank you. :)

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I am talking about renewing the NP before receiving American Citizenship. If I could travel only with my greencard, I would, but as we all now, we, permanent residents, need a passport or any other kind travel document to go over seas. And I still need to see my parents before they leave this life... I would like to have my NP handy in case I need to travel in an emergency.

I have not seen anyone who has face problem because of renewing national passport. If you have valid reason, like you said for travelling to other countries than there is nothing wrong.

If you are are afraid to renew your national passport, DON'T. There are plenty of ways to travel overseas....travel permit, for example.

@ Assyle

In some cases one would need to renew the COP passport, my COP is Colombia and they require all citizens to enter the country with a Colombian passport, cant use my american passport to go there...

so you are saying that a national of another country cannot enter Columbia? or are you talking about born Columbians who are now US citizens?

In some cases one would need to renew the COP passport, my COP is Colombia and they require all citizens to enter the country with a Colombian passport, cant use my american passport to go there...

Guacho,

If you are an American Citizen, why can't you just apply for a visa at the Colombian embassy/consulate like any other normal American Citizen? So you want to retain the privileges of being Columbian Citizen as well as an American citizen and want to avoid applying for a visa?