Admit that you are a citizen

lexis300

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone been denied US citizen for admitting in the past that you were a citizen but you were not? My dilema is that I put I was a US citizen on my work application which I was not. I'm worried that they will look into my old application for work and see that I put I was a citizen I'm afraid they will deny my citizenship.
Any thoughts?

This is usually a big no-no for immigration. I can't tell you what to do as nothing I could tell you would probably be "legal", but I am not a lawyer and I am just going to talk hypothetically. I don't think employers send I-9 information to USCIS, they are required to retain it. If you could get access to that I-9 and make sure you filled it out "correctly" and make any "corrections" necessary that could probably be ok. Anyway, was it a work application or an I-9 form? Did you get the work for which you filled that work application? Again, it is a big no-no. It was part of the system that as US citizens don't have to have identification or proof of citizenship one of the ways to prevent fraud is to have a big penalty for anyone who claims to be a citizen in order to obtain a benefit or employment. If USCIS ever finds out you claimed to be a citizen you would be in big trouble on your application. Again, if someone would have filled an I-9 claiming to be a US citizen and completely forgot about it and forgot to fill out the N-400 accordingly I would think that USCIS would probably not find out. I think employers only need to retain the I-9 in file for 3 years or 1 year later after employment is terminated so if you have stopped working for them for more than 1 year the I-9 might have been destroyed. Of course this is all hypothetical. If I were you and you filled out an I-9 I would try to contact that employer and try to retrieve that I-9 if they still have it and after making sure that everything was "correct", destroy it.

If you have taken any benefit based on declaring yourself a citizen then its a problem otherwise it can be considered as an honest mistake.

Agree with the previous...posts....If possible, and go adjust your I-9 form. If you used USC for US export compliance related matters for your job, it can be a serious issue. If you can fix it via I-9 update and explain in N-400.

Here is a risk, if you don't disclose it. USCIS randomly auidts I-9 forms. If you got "unlucky", they find about this fraud during the audit, even after getting citizenship...they can technically revoke your citizenship. Remeber that you will be under oath during interview....

If you have taken any benefit based on declaring yourself a citizen then its a problem otherwise it can be considered as an honest mistake.

Even if one didn't take a benefit, a false claim to US citizenship can still be an issue.

There was a thread before. The OP is a lady who said she claimed to be a citizen to her friends in calsual conversation and she disclosed that on N400. The IO gave her a "decision can not yet be made" interview result. We don't know whether she was approved or not.

Has anyone been denied US citizen for admitting in the past that you were a citizen but you were not? My dilema is that I put I was a US citizen on my work application which I was not. I'm worried that they will look into my old application for work and see that I put I was a citizen I'm afraid they will deny my citizenship.
Any thoughts?

You need to provide more information to get a meaningful advice.

When did you claim to be a U.S. citizen on a job application: before or after you became a permanent resident? What was your immigration/visa status in the U.S. at the time?
If this happened before you got a green card (which I assume to be the case), did you disclose the fact that you had claimed to be a U.S. citizen on a job application when you applied for a green card? Have you already submitted an N-400 application or are you just thinking about doing that?

Also, when you say that you claimed to be a U.S. citizen on an old job application, do you remember on which form you made that claim? Was it I-9? And did you actually get that job?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever the reasons were that let OP to indicate that he/she was a US citizenship is irrelevant now. It is done and can not be undone.

I see that the OP has two choices:
1. Do not apply ever (or until the laws are changed), since indicating that OP claimed to be a US citizen on the job application will most certainly lead to denial of the N400 and in worst case lead to OP's deportation.
2. Apply and not indicate that OP claimed to be a US citizen and hope that USCIS does not find out about the job application.
I do not recommend one way or another, but if the OP decides to take the second option then the OP should make sure that 5 years have passed after that job since he will not need to mention that job in his application form (assuming that OP had gottend that job).

Whatever the reasons were that let OP to indicate that he/she was a US citizenship is irrelevant now. It is done and can not be undone.

The reasons behind a false claims can make the difference between a successful defense and deportation. It's best for the OP to seek the advice of an immigration lawyer with experience with false claims to US citenship instead of relying on the advice of an immigration forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reasons behind a false claims can make the difference between a successful defense and deportation. It's best for the OP to seek the advice of an immigration lawyer with experience with false claims to US citenship instead of relying on the advice of an immigration forum.

The advice from lawyers are equally unreliable. maslouj got completely conflicting opinions from lawyers. He still wenahead and became a citizen

The advice from lawyers are equally unreliable. maslouj got completely conflicting opinions from lawyers. He still wenahead and became a citizen
That's why it's important to find a lawyer with a successful track record in defending such cases instead of just asking any immigration lawyer.