Admission

masha430

Registered Users (C)
hi.
i granted an asylum 04/2009. I went to the university, and i was told that that they are gonna consider me as an international student which means i am gonna pay a lot of money and i have to take a TOEFL. As long as i dont recieve my GC i am remainig as an international student. Is it true?

It is easy to find out for your eligibility for resident classification, but states are slightly different, you must meet the residency requirements as established by the Board of State you live in, for admission, tuition, and fee purposes. The usual requirements are but not limited to that short list: Live in that state at least one year. Have a drivers license or ID at least one year old, Have not acquired domicile in another state; Have maintained a continuous address in his state you live in, Have filed state resident income tax returns. Ownership of property in such state etc...etc...etc...

Generally a person who has been certified as a refugee or granted asylum by the appropriate agency of the United States, who enrolls as a student at a university governed by the Board of Regents, in most States, may be accorded immediate resident status; some other states required at least one year residency.

Try again, otherwise you will be definitely eligible on and after 04/2010.

Best Luck.

No, it is not true. I was granted asylum and they changed my status in the college system right away and I recieved the lowest tuition rate. You can fill out FAFSA application also.

That is not true my friend. the asylum status is almost equal to Permament resident.

I got the same problem back in the days. The English as Second Language a non credit course therefore you cant get in state tuition for it. ask the university if they have ESL credit courses or go to a community college. the problem should be solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before i went to the college. I thought i had to go there fisrt. I applied online. I gave them i 94 and work authorization, i proved my residency. I got my financial aid through FAFSA. It was easy. But later i got my credit evaluation, i finished 2 years at the university in my native country. It is almost 90 credits. So i decided to go to the university to talk to international adviser. She was so surprised that i got financial aid with my status, cuz she has 9 years experience in financial aid)) she has never seen it before. she told me that i am an international student and i need to have 30 000 dollars in cash in my account..... it is so complicated.
Has anybody been admitted as an asylum holder?

Before i went to the college. I thought i had to go there fisrt. I applied online. I gave them i 94 and work authorization, i proved my residency. I got my financial aid through FAFSA. It was easy. But later i got my credit evaluation, i finished 2 years at the university in my native country. It is almost 90 credits. So i decided to go to the university to talk to international adviser. She was so surprised that i got financial aid with my status, cuz she has 9 years experience in financial aid)) she has never seen it before. she told me that i am an international student and i need to have 30 000 dollars in cash in my account..... it is so complicated.
Has anybody been admitted as an asylum holder?

It is not complicated at all. There are zillions of asylum holders and refugees who have been admitted to colleges as in state residents. The person you met obviously does not now what she is doing (people on asylum status have been getting financial aid for at least 20 years).

You are absolutely not an international student, you do not need a visa and you do not need money in your account. The only issue here is if you have spent enough time in the state to qualify for in-state residency. You were granted asylum only this month? How long have you been living in the state? If you lived in that state for the past year as an asylum applicant, that time may or may not be counted, depending on the state.

worst case scenario: you do not qualify for in-state residency because you have not lived there for one year in an acceptable immigration status. Then you still receive federal financial aid. You can use the grants and loans that you can get from the federal government to pay the higher out of state tuition bills. Or you can postpone going to school for one year until you qualify for in-state residence.

Can you PM me the name of the school (I understand that this is probably not something you want to post in the forum)? I will give you further information and guidance if I know what school we are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend has just applied online. He is an asylum holder as well ( doesn't have a GC yet)
He's got a letter from University. It says that his residency status is resident alien. what does it mean?

If I graduated university in my country can I be still eligible for any financial aid? I was granted asylum last year.

If I graduated university in my country can I be still eligible for any financial aid? I was granted asylum last year.

To get financial aid you have to go to school here. If you already have an undergrad degree, then you are interested going to grad school here right? You can get from the government federal loans (grants from the government are usually reserved for undergrad students). And the school you are going to may also give you a scholarship.

Thanks thankful fou ur reply. If I evaluate my diploma here and want to get another degree in college or university, can I get any aid?

Thanks thankful fou ur reply. If I evaluate my diploma here and want to get another degree in college or university, can I get any aid?

You can definitely get loans. I am not sure if you can get government grants. If you had a degree from a U.S. school already then you in general would not be able get federal grants for your second degree. Now your first degree is from a foreign school and I do not know how they handle this. Call the FAFSA information line and ask. Or call the school that you want to enroll in (the financial aid office).

You cant get grants if you have an undergraduate degree.
I have one from London University, and I want to get another one here. FAFSA told me that I only qualify for a loan.

let me ask you one question please. you guys are pretty good in English and graduate from college or university. Could you please tell me your expirience how you learn English and get smart.

Thanks in adv.

Down

I went to an English medium school back home ( the school that I went to was one of the finest institutions run by the army itself ). That only laid the foundation though. I did the rest myself. I used to read a lot of novels - mainly "Hardy Boys" and what not. A lot of my closest friends who currently study in various colleges here don't have good English themselves so its all down to one's interest and dedication. Fortunately, English was something that I naturally picked up. As a matter of fact, I'd correct my high school teacher's grammatical errors. ( Not bragging or anything ). I consider my own English to be fairly ok. I make a lot of grammatical errors though ( mainly preposition ). I rarely read what I've typed ( unless its a paper that requires 2 rough drafts and a final draft ), so I make some silly mistakes.

I don't believe a person's grasp of English language has anything to do with him or her being smart though. :D

To thankful. I just found this on official web site of university i would like to apply:

"If you have filed an I-485 form with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), formerly the INS, but have
NOT yet received your I-551, you must apply as an international student."