Admission

Seems like you applied to USF. ( I googled the sentence that you quoted )
http://www.stpt.usf.edu/international/FAQs.htm
Take a look at the same page. It says "•Unfortunately, applicants who are not US citizens, permanent residents, or asylees are not eligible for US government financial aid."
This clearly tells you that you're eligible for US govt. Financial aid since you're an asylee.

my problem is not that i cant get financial aid ( i already got one). my problem is that i dont want to apply like an international student ( which means i have to pay more money rather then permanent resident)

my problem is not that i cant get financial aid ( i already got one). my problem is that i dont want to apply like an international student ( which means i have to pay more money rather then permanent resident)

We already estabished that in Florida asylum status is sufficient to get in-state tuition.

To thankful. I just found this on official web site of university i would like to apply:

"If you have filed an I-485 form with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), formerly the INS, but have
NOT yet received your I-551, you must apply as an international student."

It looks like the university has its own immigration vocabularies. :)

What does applying as an international mean? how would that constraint you? You should schedule an appointment with a University official and find out the whole story for yourself.

I went to school in Florida. You should not have any poblems establishing your residency for tuition purposes.
As to speak to a supervisor.

masha,

you should not have a problem. ask to speak to the registrar himself and if necessary go to someone above the registrar.

You are not an international student and they cannot make you fall under that category because of your status. I think the university cannot charge you as an international student, it is an "inhumane" thing to do to an asylee. There are probably some non-profit organizations where you live that help refugees/asylees with their issues. Maybe you should talk to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

How can you get finacial aid and still be an international student. F-! students are not elligible for Federal funding (FAFSA).
Your schools financial aid director, does not have a clue of what he/she is doing.
I'll say change schools, else you are going to graduate with tons of loans, and its not worth it especially when you know you could have paid much less.
Good luck.

How big of a different does a state's residency make as far as going to Grad School is concerned? :S I believe unlike the undergraduate level, most grad schools charge same fees right? Say a person lives in Illinois and wants to attend grad school in Oregon, will it make as big of a difference in Grad level?

How big of a different does a state's residency make as far as going to Grad School is concerned? :S I believe unlike the undergraduate level, most grad schools charge same fees right? Say a person lives in Illinois and wants to attend grad school in Oregon, will it make as big of a difference in Grad level?

Nope, grad schools actually will cost more as an F-1 student or instate.
It really depends on what school you attend. Any state school that you attend which offcourse are all public will charge you out of state tuition if you are not a residence of that state. some states do have boarder states agreement for tution purposes.
And if you choose to attend a private school, then it does not matter, because everybody gets to pay the same tuition.
Well, begin by checking the websites of schools you are interested in and see how much the tuition will be for instate, out of state and F-1.
When it comes to education in the US, there are tons of choices, so do not let one school put you in a box and make your life miserable.
Good luck.

Nope, grad schools actually will cost more as an F-1 student or instate.
It really depends on what school you attend. Any state school that you attend which offcourse are all public will charge you out of state tuition if you are not a residence of that state. some states do have boarder states agreement for tution purposes.
And if you choose to attend a private school, then it does not matter, because everybody gets to pay the same tuition.
Well, begin by checking the websites of schools you are interested in and see how much the tuition will be for instate, out of state and F-1.
When it comes to education in the US, there are tons of choices, so do not let one school put you in a box and make your life miserable.
Good luck.

Well I believe I have a reasonably decent knowledge of U.S. School system. I just don't have any clue on the financial issues. If there's a "good" coming off the late approval of my case, I guess not having to pay costs of attending a private college is one. I currently study with a reasonably good scholarship and grants ( paying 1/3rd of the entire cost ( over 30k ). ) My school advisor told me that if I'd have been approved earlier, I'd definitely be paying more.

Thanks for the information on in-state, out-state tuition though. Btw, I'm thinking about attending grad school in California ( I live in the midwest ). What should I do to get in-state tuition? Would you know?

What should I do to get in-state tuition? Would you know?

Most of the Californian schools require 1 year residency to treat one as a resident. public schools like UC and state schools like Cal States have that policy as far as i know.