Accidentaly registered to vote in 2001, but never voted, N400 interview coming sept 1st!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to go to the voter registers office and deregister. Once you are deregistered they need to type you up a letter explaining that you have been taken out of the system.You should also get a a lteer explaing that you have no voter history and a print out showing that you never did vote. Write a letter explaining that you registered to vote strictly by mistake. Get it notorized by the bank. the Officer can not make the decision for you, it must be sent to court. A decision can take up to 120 days after the interview.

Now go to voter registration office to get your name in voters list AGAIN.

I will not be deported. I know that for a fact. Why do people insist on trying to scare you. This is a very common mistake, and most people who are up for deportation made the crazy mistake of voting. yes I can be deported, I am fully aware of that, but I know it will be brushed off once I show them my paper work. A young lady from Kenya is up for deporattion and is appealing her case to an immigration judge because she voted. Her sister, who had an interview with the same officer three days later was granted her citizenship. She was smart enough not to vote. I am not worried about it, and even if the IO was undecided, his supervisor would see that I never voted, it happend almost 10 years ago, and I have not done anything illegal in this country. I will be approved. I am fully aware that i could be deported, but in most cases, it's the people who voted that are in big trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to let everyone know that in most cases when you regesiter to vote you will be fine. I agree that each case is different and many factors can play a role in your denial of citizenship. If you vote, you are big big trouble.

I would like to let everyone know that in most cases when you regesiter to vote you will be fine. I agree that each case is different and many factors can play a role in your denial of citizenship. If you vote, you are big big trouble.

a simple straight question,

if it wernt for voting, why did you resister in the first place?

a simple straight question,

if it wernt for voting, why did you resister in the first place?

I was curious about this so I did a Google search. According to some people, the clerks at the DMV in some states are overeager in registering people to vote. Basically, a clerk checks the voters registration box, the permanent resident does not catch the mistake and then they are registered to vote even if they had no intention to vote. I find this scenario plausible. I've often found mistakes on forms filled out by clerks. Not everybody pays as much attention to details as they should. The last time I renewed my driver's license, I had to be rescued by a manager because the clerk handling my case could not renew it. It turned out that the clerk who handled my paperwork when I first registered in my state did not do her job properly, so the system was choking and it took a manager to override the system.

Dear Friends - Can you please give me some adice. I looks like my case is similar to many of yours.

Here is my story...

I'm a US Green Card holder. I am eligible to apply for my citizenship but have run into a technical issue. I registered to vote in August 1999, but never voted. It was my 2nd semester at a community college in Chicago and the professor was encouraging everyone to register to vote. Taking his advice I too registered to vote not knowing that I was ineligible. I did sign the form which states "I hear by swear (or affirm) that I am a citizen of the United States..." Unfortunately I did not read the fine print before signing the application. As it was not my intension to vote, and I merely did it on the request of the professor, I did not vote.
I switched from a F1 to a H1 and then got my greencard. I am now eligible to apply for my citizenship, and would like your opinion on how I should deal with this situation.

To ensure my voter registration application was in fact processed I did request the “Chicago Board of Elections” for a copy of the application. I am also in the process of requesting them to “de register” or “cancel” my voter registration and provide me with a letter stating my voter registration has been cancelled and that I have never voted.

I would really appreciate your help.

Dear Friends - Can you please give me some adice. I looks like my case is similar to many of yours.

Here is my story...

I'm a US Green Card holder. I am eligible to apply for my citizenship but have run into a technical issue. I registered to vote in August 1999, but never voted. It was my 2nd semester at a community college in Chicago and the professor was encouraging everyone to register to vote. Taking his advice I too registered to vote not knowing that I was ineligible. I did sign the form which states "I hear by swear (or affirm) that I am a citizen of the United States..." Unfortunately I did not read the fine print before signing the application. As it was not my intension to vote, and I merely did it on the request of the professor, I did not vote.
I switched from a F1 to a H1 and then got my greencard. I am now eligible to apply for my citizenship, and would like your opinion on how I should deal with this situation.

To ensure my voter registration application was in fact processed I did request the “Chicago Board of Elections” for a copy of the application. I am also in the process of requesting them to “de register” or “cancel” my voter registration and provide me with a letter stating my voter registration has been cancelled and that I have never voted.

I would really appreciate your help.
You'll be fine as it happened outside statutory period. Bring a letter from election board that you are no longer registered as a voter to interview.

I have a letter from the Board of Elections stating...

Name: FirstName Last Name was a registered voter from the address of MyAddress but such registration was canceled as of 09/28/2005.

They have attached with the letter evidence showing I have never voted and a copy of my original voter registration form.

I had requested from them a letter stating that I have de-registered and I have never voted but they sent me this. Please advice if this is sufficent or should I request another letter with an explicit statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.