Accidentaly registered to vote in 2001, but never voted, N400 interview coming sept 1st!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabee

Registered Users (C)
Hello, hope the day is going well for everyone that reads this post. Here it goes. I reg to vote in 2001 because someone advised me that I could still vote in local elections. Like a fool, I filled out the form and turned it in. Thank god I never voted, I know that saved me from being deported. Fast foward to 2010, and thinking that everything was fine and I would be a naturalized citizen with no problems, I remembered that I had reg to vote. I went to the county Board of Elections and Registration.I explained my situation, and they kindly gave me a print out showing that I have never voted and I was deregistered in 2007. They stamped,sealed, and even signed the forms. The problem is that how will the immigration Officer be able to read a print out that is justabbrevations,codes, numbers, and dates. I went back a week ago, and asked for a detailed letter explaining what the IO officer would be looking at, they flat out refused to write the letter. The very rude lady at the front desk informed me that they get these print outs all the time and that my printed out paper work should be enough. they wouldn't be writing any letters explaining their paper work because I didn't need it. I was steamed, and just walked out. Do I need a written detailed letter, and if so, how can it get without the run around. I'm just trying to save time so that I wont have to send extra paperwork in the mail after my interview. It can take up to 90 days in order for me to get approved. I'm just trying to save time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question to you is this: what did you check on the N400 application with regards to have you ever registered and voted in the local,state and federal elections? Section A, page 6. In my view, you are not in any serious trouble, you stupidly registered by never voted, so the print-out from your district should exonerate you from an overzealous IO. Just explain the situation and you should be fine, because you committed a small violation in my view. Also, you might have to amend your N400 on this question as soon as you swear to tell the truth to the IO.

You are still subjidt to deportation if you check Yes on the US citizen box of the voter registration

Also did you get your GC before or after you registered to vote in 2001? If after, did you dislose it on yotu I485 form or not?

See teh folloing thread, which caused heated debate and havoc last year and many predicted the poster would be deported but eventually the poster (maslouj) came back triumphantly

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...uralization-Can-Cause-you-Problems&highlight=

Nah, I wont get deported(even though it is an offense that can have you deported). My parents did the same thing, but they also never voted. My father went through hell because he had a hard time locating records of his old voting statues. I reg to vote after I had my greencard for almost a year. I've been out the system for almost three years. I also checked yes on the n400 when they asked me if I reg to vote. I wasn'tgoingto lie about anyhing that is on record. I also wrote a letter explaining the situation. I got the dates wrong on the letter that I sent out with the n400, So i will have to present another typed up letter. I read that post, and it was crazy! everyone was scaring that poor poster.

You are still subjidt to deportation if you check Yes on the US citizen box of the voter registration

Registering to vote in itself is not a deportable offense. Knowingly and willingly falsely claiming US citizenship is.

Hello, hope the day is going well for everyone that reads this post. Here it goes. I reg to vote in 2001 because someone advised me that I could still vote in local elections. Like a fool, I filled out the form and turned it in. Thank god I never voted, I know that saved me from being deported. Fast foward to 2010, and thinking that everything was fine and I would be a naturalized citizen with no problems, I remembered that I had reg to vote. I went to the county Board of Elections and Registration.I explained my situation, and they kindly gave me a print out showing that I have never voted and I was deregistered in 2007. They stamped,sealed, and even signed the forms. The problem is that how will the immigration Officer be able to read a print out that is justabbrevations,codes, numbers, and dates. I went back a week ago, and asked for a detailed letter explaining what the IO officer would be looking at, they flat out refused to write the letter. The very rude lady at the front desk informed me that they get these print outs all the time and that my printed out paper work should be enough. they wouldn't be writing any letters explaining their paper work because I didn't need it. I was steamed, and just walked out. Do I need a written detailed letter, and if so, how can it get without the run around. I'm just trying to save time so that I wont have to send extra paperwork in the mail after my interview. It can take up to 90 days in order for me to get approved. I'm just trying to save time.
You're fine. You registered outside statutory period and you have since deregistered and have proof from the voter registration office. Bring the letter to interview.If the IO asks for more, explain that the registration office won't produce anything more detailed.

Hello, hope the day is going well for everyone that reads this post. Here it goes. I reg to vote in 2001 because someone advised me that I could still vote in local elections.
That might actually be true. Permanent residents are allowed to vote in local elections, if the jurisdiction is one of the areas that don't require US citizenship for voting in local elections. If permanent resident residents were eligible to vote there, you would have done nothing wrong by registering. But you'd need to research the voting laws of that area to find out if they do allow permanent residents to vote.

That might actually be true. Permanent residents are allowed to vote in local elections, if the jurisdiction is one of the areas that don't require US citizenship for voting in local elections. If permanent resident residents were eligible to vote there, you would have done nothing wrong by registering. But you'd need to research the voting laws of that area to find out if they do allow permanent residents to vote.

This may be right, but regardless if the election allows illegal aliens to vote or not as long as he checks Yes on the quesion box that asks "Are you a US citizen" that is where the trouble is, that he has falsely claimed US citizenship. I had a friend that was in the same situation, he had a hard time with USCIS and his GC. I just cannot remember the outcome and I have lost touch with him since I lost his number. In any case, this is not to be taken lightly.

Hello, hope the day is going well for everyone that reads this post. Here it goes. I reg to vote in 2001 because someone advised me that I could still vote in local elections. Like a fool, I filled out the form and turned it in.

On that voter registration form, did it ask if you are a US citizen and did you say YES to that question? And did you say YES on the N-400 about claiming to be a US citizen?

sabee said:
Nah, I wont get deported(even though it is an offense that can have you deported). My parents did the same thing, but they also never voted.
Claiming to be a US citizen when registering to vote is a deportable offense. It just happens that USCIS often exercises their prosecutorial discretion to decide against deporting individuals who did that. Just because your parents did the same thing and didn't get deported, that doesn't mean you will have the same result of not being deported.

I will not be deported. I know that for a fact. Why do people insist on trying to scare you. This is a very common mistake, and most people who are up for deportation made the crazy mistake of voting. yes I can be deported, I am fully aware of that, but I know it will be brushed off once I show them my paper work. A young lady from Kenya is up for deporattion and is appealing her case to an immigration judge because she voted. Her sister, who had an interview with the same officer three days later was granted her citizenship. She was smart enough not to vote. I am not worried about it, and even if the IO was undecided, his supervisor would see that I never voted, it happend almost 10 years ago, and I have not done anything illegal in this country. I will be approved. I am fully aware that i could be deported, but in most cases, it's the people who voted that are in big trouble.

I will not be deported. I know that for a fact. .

I never heard of one clear case about anyone was really deported because of registering to vote. But there are a lot of cases USCIS tried to deport such people
and these people had go go thru a lot of trouble.

Simple fix, Send an email to the voting office supervisor of elections requesting your name be removed from the voting list. I had a similar letter done for myself. They won't argue with you.

I will not be deported. I know that for a fact. Why do people insist on trying to scare you. This is a very common mistake, and most people who are up for deportation made the crazy mistake of voting. yes I can be deported, I am fully aware of that, but I know it will be brushed off once I show them my paper work. A young lady from Kenya is up for deporattion and is appealing her case to an immigration judge because she voted. Her sister, who had an interview with the same officer three days later was granted her citizenship. She was smart enough not to vote. I am not worried about it, and even if the IO was undecided, his supervisor would see that I never voted, it happend almost 10 years ago, and I have not done anything illegal in this country. I will be approved. I am fully aware that i could be deported, but in most cases, it's the people who voted that are in big trouble.

you are absolutely right, you will not be deported. The voting record and a sealed document of deregistration from your local registar of voters should be enough. Don't listen to all of those people who are trying to scare you. I hate to see how some of these people are scaring others and ended up telling them they need to find a lawyer. My situation is almost the same as yours. I got denied initially, filed N-336, showed them my proof of deregistration and voting record(never voted). And the oath letter arrived 4 months after. I think I'm going to get a sticker which says "Never Voted" for my car, because I feel so lucky about that.

you are absolutely right, you will not be deported. The voting record and a sealed document of deregistration from your local registar of voters should be enough. Don't listen to all of those people who are trying to scare you. I hate to see how some of these people are scaring others and ended up telling them they need to find a lawyer. My situation is almost the same as yours. I got denied initially, filed N-336, showed them my proof of deregistration and voting record(never voted). And the oath letter arrived 4 months after. I think I'm going to get a sticker which says "Never Voted" for my car, because I feel so lucky about that.

Congrats!!! Whatever the hell happened to Sabee? We are in Oct and the interview Sept 1, 2010...did he get nailed or he'as awaiting an approval?

@ccczzzzzzzzzzzz they try to scare you on here! lol! thanks for the positove truth!

I did not get nailed! lol! sabee is here to stay in the u-s-a! lol! ha ha ha ha ha! (I recieved the letter today). I will pledge in three weeks and I am so super excited. My case went to the us district court in my state, and they granted me my citizenship. Even the officer told me that I really had nothng to worry about because I didn't vote and that i was a model citizen with a college degree and great job! lol!

1. I made the mistake when I was very young.
2. I have been in this country since the age of 3.
3. It was 10 years ago!
4. I never voted
5. I am not a criminal!
6. I NEVER VOTED!

My case went through pretty quick because it usually takes up to 120 days for them to make a decision. Mines flew like a bird. I'm glad I didn't allow all of these"you're going to get deported" get to me, because I knew it wasn't going to go down like that because I never voted. It's the people who vote that really have some big problems.

For those who want to know how my interview went.

1. She asked me 5 questions and they were all easy and I wrote some simple sentence on a sheet.
2. She advised me that she could not recommand me for citizenship because by law they have to let the U.S. district court in my state decide.
3. She took all of my paper work and placed it in my folder to be sent to the us distirct court
4. she told me that it's very rare they deport anyone over this federal offense. If I would have voted, it would have been a difficult story.
5. In 5 weeks I recieved the ceremony letter(I just got it today!)

This is a seriouse offense, but in most cases it's taken very lightly if you show them that you deregistered and wrote a letter explaining you did it by mistake. Kisses everyone!

I'm going to get a sticker saying the same exact thing"never voted" because that little phrase right there is what saved me from being deported.

I did not get nailed! lol! sabee is here to stay in the u-s-a! lol! ha ha ha ha ha! (I recieved the letter today). I will pledge in three weeks and I am so super excited. My case went to the us district court in my state, and they granted me my citizenship.

They didn't grant your citizenship. Citizenship is not granted until you complete the oath.

If a train doesn't run me over on my way to the oath ceremony or I don't die in my sleep because the angel of death made a little late night call, I will be a citizen! I am authorized to be one and I will take my oath! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO goood for me! AHA!

Sabee.....i have a similar situation.....i just found out i registered to vote in 2008 at my University in MA.....i was about to file my N 400 and realized i might get denied.....someone pls let me know what i should do.....i've been a lawful permant resident since 2000 with a clean background except for this registerion thing......I never actually voted.....pls advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.