A decision cannot yet be made about your application

mkub

Registered Users (C)
Hello dear forumists,
Two days ago, I passed my Citizenship Interview. The IO gave me the N-652 form with check mark on "A decision cannot yet be made about your application". He then manually wrote on the form :"Supervisor Review". Why? Because on my N-400 I mentioned that few months ago I was wrongly arrested and charged for a DUI in Illinois. The court found me NOT GUILTY. I provided the Original Final Court Disposition (with mention: NOT GUILTY) to the USCIS IO during the Interview. IO told me that my file needs to be approved by her supervisor and courtesly said that this shouldn't be take long before I receive my oath letter in the mail. Could anybody tell me if I should be worry about my N400 case being denied? If not how long should I expect to wait before I get approved and geta oath letter in the mail? Thank you all.

I think this is a standard process, once you have a record it is required for the interview officer to send it to a supervisor for further review. I think you are OK since you plead not guilty but in case you are denied you can wait 5 more years then apply again. So far I think you are good. So just wait for the letter saying the outcome of the interview. There is no way on knowing when you will be getting the oath letter but if you don't see it in 30 days call the customer service line or get an info pass to find out what's going on with your case.

Hello dear forumists,
Two days ago, I passed my Citizenship Interview. The IO gave me the N-652 form with check mark on "A decision cannot yet be made about your application". He then manually wrote on the form :"Supervisor Review". Why? Because on my N-400 I mentioned that few months ago I was wrongly arrested and charged for a DUI in Illinois. The court found me NOT GUILTY. I provided the Original Final Court Disposition (with mention: NOT GUILTY) to the USCIS IO during the Interview. IO told me that my file needs to be approved by her supervisor and courtesly said that this shouldn't be take long before I receive my oath letter in the mail. Could anybody tell me if I should be worry about my N400 case being denied? If not how long should I expect to wait before I get approved and geta oath letter in the mail? Thank you all.

I don't see any problem with your case. You need to relax and live your life as if nothing happened, you were not guilty and you provided the court disposition to USCIS. I would recommend you toughen out, for crying our loud, you are in Chicago... :rolleyes:

Have you heard of the Daly family? Toughest people on the face of the planet, so I would encourage you to wait for the oath letter from the USCIS office, because if I could send you one to appease you, I would but given that forgery of US government property is a crime, I rather not!!! :D

Thanks Al Southner for your moral support. My question remains: Did anyone know or have to go through a similar case like mine? If yes, how long did it take for the oath Letter to be sent out? Thanks.

mkub: it all depends on how busy that supervisor is, it varies from DO to DO like I said there is no way on knowing this. Give it 30 days then act on it.

Thanks Al Southner for your moral support. My question remains: Did anyone know or have to go through a similar case like mine? If yes, how long did it take for the oath Letter to be sent out? Thanks.

It's standard practice that any cases with arrest have to be further scrutinized. They have up to 120 days after interview to render a decision, but it normally takes about 1-3 months depending on DO and supervisor case load.

Thank you all. One more question: Is it going to be possible to check (online) whether the case has been approved and when the oath letter would be sent to me? I know some of you might look at this like being too impatient. But believe me I am not only impatient but worried too much.

Thank you all. One more question: Is it going to be possible to check (online) whether the case has been approved and when the oath letter would be sent to me? I know some of you might look at this like being too impatient. But believe me I am not only impatient but worried too much.

Only if someone update the online system, then you will know. Just enjoy life, you will thank me after you are sworn in as a citizen. You are worrying too much over nothing, if you stop worrying and kiss your spouse and hold that kiss for 10 seconds, it will prolong your life by an additional two years...:D Worrying on the other hand will shorten your life by about 4 years...:eek:

You will know as soon as you receive the letter in the mail, USCIS would rather not spoil the surprise brought by the mailman. This weekend you might get lucky...;)

Thank you Al Southner. I promise I will follow your wise advise and will definetly update you all when I get more info. Thanks.

Yellow letter

mkub: it all depends on how busy that supervisor is, it varies from DO to DO like I said there is no way on knowing this. Give it 30 days then act on it.

Hi Mimi,

I have interview on the same day as you have but I have not received the yellow letter that you guys are talking.One additional page of extra document was mailed along with my interview letter which has heading "Interview Checklist".Is this siiliar to yellow letter or should i be getting yellow letter.
I a novice in this forum.Please guide e.

Pulchowk,

As long as you have the interview letter you are good, not everyone gets a yellow letter. So go to your interview and bring anything that you need to bring with you from that interview checklist, all good =). If you don't have any traffic violations, arrests your case is pretty straight forward that's probably why they didn't send you a yellow letter. Are you appliying with the 5 year residency or 3 year based on marriage?

Thanks Mimi. My case is 5year based but I am 27 days short of 5 years on the day of my interview (11/16/09). I hope that won't be the problem.

Ah ok then you are OK! they will approve you but you wont be able to take the oath until you hit your 5th year anniversary.

Thanks Mimi.
I have a morning interview.I will keep you posted about the outcome.I applied
on 9/14/09 and thought that i will cross 5 year deadline by the time of interview but it happened so quickly .I went for early walk-in FP about 2 weeks prior to my scheduled date which was 10/14/09.Probably that's the reason I had early interview scheduled

N-652: A decision cannot yet be made about your application

Hello dear forumists,
Two days ago, I passed my Citizenship Interview. The IO gave me the N-652 form with check mark on "A decision cannot yet be made about your application". He then manually wrote on the form :"Supervisor Review". Why? Because on my N-400 I mentioned that few months ago I was wrongly arrested and charged for a DUI in Illinois. The court found me NOT GUILTY. I provided the Original Final Court Disposition (with mention: NOT GUILTY) to the USCIS IO during the Interview. IO told me that my file needs to be approved by her supervisor and courtesly said that this shouldn't be take long before I receive my oath letter in the mail. Could anybody tell me if I should be worried about my N400 case being denied? If not how long should I expect to wait before I get approved and get a oath letter in the mail? Thank you all.

Hello, for almost 3 weeks, I have been endlessly checking my mail but no letter of oath yet. Also, I don't how accurate is the info on the USCIS case online, I am not seeing no update as I am checking at least twice a day. Can anyone with knowledge of a similar case tell me what to expect. Help me alleviate my anxiety. Thanks.

Hello, for almost 3 weeks, I have been endlessly checking my mail but no letter of oath yet. Also, I don't how accurate is the info on the USCIS case online, I am not seeing no update as I am checking at least twice a day. Can anyone with knowledge of a similar case tell me what to expect. Help me alleviate my anxiety. Thanks.

Three weeks is still within normal timeline. So be patient, and even if you are impatient, online status don't mean anything. You can call 1-800-375-5283 for level 2 officer or make an infopass

Last edited by a moderator:

It is usual for a fully approved case to take 1-2 weeks to get oath letter. Given that your case required supervisory review, I think you are just reaching the window where you should be getting a letter. You could have avoided checking your mail so far, and started now.

Supervisor review adds around two or three weeks. If oath letter can take about 4 to 6 weeks, add that and you should worry if you don't hear anything within a bit over two months. That's my take. You might get something earlier.

I really love this forum and its contributors' ways of helping each other. What a great way of showing solidarity among all of us - immigrants who with few differences have been through the same path. Once again, congratulations to Rajiv for bringing us together. As soon as I hear from USCIS, I will be posting the outcome and my overall timeline of events. Thanks.