6 yr old traveling to India with old/new passport and OCI card

I am 18 and am planning on traveling to India next week. I have OCI and I got my passport renewed a year ago. I still have my U-visa on the old passport. I am hoping I don't face any problem. All I need is my new passport, OCI card, and old passport with U-visa correct?

You should be fine. My younger brother (minor) got in to India with OCI card, old passport (with u visa), new passport last year. Other people on this forum/thread said there is no problem, so I think you will be fine.

Minor with New USA Passport and U-Visa on Old passport

You should be fine. My younger brother (minor) got in to India with OCI card, old passport (with u visa), new passport last year. Other people on this forum/thread said there is no problem, so I think you will be fine.

*** After research a Lot I found Legal answer for this question**

INDIAN EMBASSY WASHINGTON DC SAYS , FOR EMERGENCY YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO TRAVEL WITH OUT HAVING RE-ISSUANCE OF OCI card.

NO WORRIS AND also I have caled the AIRINDIA and confirmed this and you will be fine travelling along with NEW PP ND OLD PP + OCI CARD.

Here is the FAQ details..

https://www.indianembassy.org/oci.php

https://www.indianembassy.org/oci.php

FAQ #3
3. Under what conditions should one apply for New OCI Card and Sticker:

(i) In case of issuance of new passport.
(a) For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
(b) For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport.
(c) For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.
(ii) In case there is a change in personal particulars.
(iii) In case of loss/damage of passport and/or OCI booklet.
(iv) For correcting personal particulars entered wrongly while submitting online applications e.g name, father’s name, date of birth etc.,
(v) In case of change of address/occupation.

In case of emergency, the applicant can continue to carry the old passport wherein OCI 'U' visa sticker is pasted along with the new passport and the OCI booklet for visiting India.
*** It is important for the OCI card holder to carry the OCI booklet along with the passport having U visa sticker. Both these documents should always be in the possession of the OCI card holder while travelling to India.

Would be great if you have had experience in travelling with kids with new passport

Would be great if you have had experience in travelling with kids with new passport but Usticker and Life long OCI on old passport.

What are the chances of getting through in especially Hyderabad immigration?

Would be great if you have had experience in travelling with kids with new passport but Usticker and Life long OCI on old passport.

What are the chances of getting through in especially Hyderabad immigration?

dzone, how many times do you need people to tell you that you can travel to India with new US passport, old US passport with OCI sticker and the old OCI booklet? It doesn't make a difference which airport you enter India. OCI is for life, they are not going to deny anyone entry just because the OCI sticker is in the old passport. Just take all three docs with you.

I dropped my unaccompanied minor kid yesterday at airport with new passport, OCI and old passport with oci stamping, she is heading to chennai. has anyone recently gone thru this experience, will there any issues?

i just found the rule with kids needing new OCI for new passport.

everything went fine, no issues.
hi i too am having same issues. got new usa passports for my 5 yrs and 9 yrs kids but didnt get their new oci card as dont have that much time. so am wondering if i have to get visa for then like entry visa so that immigration cant create problems at delhi airport. or is it fine to travel with old passport and oci card.
will appreciate any help

Hi all. Just an update for those of you who might need it. I was in the same situation - both my kids aged 8 & 6 had new passports. Transferring OCI to the new passport would have taken 6-8 weeks & that would take us beyond their school holidays. We travelled to Bangalore with new passport + OCI card + old passport (which had the visa sticker). Immigration was cool. Theye didn't even ask anything about transferring the OCI, etc. It was just like any other visit in the past.

I had called the Indian embassy before travelling & they had asked me to apply for a visit or entry visa - sounds like a money making gimmick. I took the chance of travelling as I did based on feedback in this forum so thank you all.

My suggestion - if in a hurry, travel. If you have time, get the OCI transferred. I have applied for the transfer & will get it done soon.

Keeping you informed.

It is your call depending upon the probability to travel to India on short notice with kids.

Indian Visa can take up to 3 weeks in case if OCI can not be used.

This is a headache but forewarned is better than getting stuck on airport.

OCI Re-Issue New Passport - CKGS USA

OCI Re-Issue New Passport - CKGS USA
For applicants who are 20 years old or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued. Get more details at CKGS USA, on how to apply for re-issue of OCI card if a new passport has been issued.

View on www.in.ckgs.us

I've read all the previous posts on this topic; however, the last post was almost a year ago. So, I would like to know any recent experience traveling to India with old passport w OCI sticker, OCI card & new passport for a minor (12 years old) without transferring OCI U Visa to new passport.

We plan to travel without tranfering the OCI to newly renewed passports for kids. Could we be confident enough to not have any problems at the Mumbai Airport? Thank you all for any updates and responses.

I've read all the previous posts on this topic; however, the last post was almost a year ago. So, I would like to know any recent experience traveling to India with old passport w OCI sticker, OCI card & new passport for a minor (12 years old) without transferring OCI U Visa to new passport.

We plan to travel without tranfering the OCI to newly renewed passports for kids. Could we be confident enough to not have any problems at the Mumbai Airport? Thank you all for any updates and responses.

I have friends who are visiting India right now with their minor children. They have never transferred their children's OCIs from their children's very first US passports. One child is on her third passport. Anyway, they had no issues at immigration. Just take the current US passport, old US passport with OCI sticker and old OCI booklet. I think the point is worth hammering ... OCI is a lifelong status and as long as you have proof of it, they are not going to block you from entering India.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update and sharing your friends' cases, JPBoston. Very much appreciated. Based on this, it seems we should be OK travelling with old & new Canadian passports and the first issued OCI booklets for our kids under 16 years of age. We are not going to go through the hassles transferring the visa stickers to new passports.

No probs, canadian1. If you are given any kind of grief about not transferring the OCI to the new passports, just say you are planning to do that upon return to Canada. Anyway do post your India experience after your trip. Have fun!

Update : As we have had enough time before we travel in December, we decided to transfer the OCI to the new passport for my daughter. Pleased to note that we applied through Totonto office in the first week of August and the complete process was completed in approx 7 weeks and we received the new OCI last week. Though initially I was thinking not to go through the hassles, we ended up doing it anyway just for the peace of mind.

Hello this is an old thread ... We are in a similar situation ..and just read that our minor kids will need new oci since they recently got new passports . Anyone with more recent experience who didn't renew their Oci card?