6 yr old traveling to India with old/new passport and OCI card

gopackgo

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My 6 year old daughter got a new passport last year. We are planning to travel to India this summer. Can she travel with her new passport, old passport with the OCI visa sticker, and OCI card? From reading information online, it appears that upto 20 years of age, you're supposed to get a new OCI sticker with every new passport.

Any comments/information/experiences would be very useful.

Thanks.

Hi,

My 6 year old daughter got a new passport last year. We are planning to travel to India this summer. Can she travel with her new passport, old passport with the OCI visa sticker, and OCI card? From reading information online, it appears that upto 20 years of age, you're supposed to get a new OCI sticker with every new passport.

Thanks.

I too have the same question. We just noticed that my daughter's (5 year old) US passport is expiring. We can get the new US passport reissued by doing it in expedite manner but I am not sure if the OCI Reissue will come before we leave for India in June. Have anybody recently in past few months traveled to India with a minor having new US passport and only Old passport having the U-visa sticker along with the OCI card?

Or should we apply for an Indian visa while the OCI reissue is submitted and pending? Is that allowed?

Please help. Trying to figure out the logistics.

Or should we apply for an Indian visa while the OCI reissue is submitted and pending? Is that allowed?

Why on earth would you apply for an Indian visa when your daughter already has a lifelong OCI status? Just because her old US passport is expiring, does not invalidate her OCI status. You can travel to India with her new US passport, her old US passport with the OCI visa sticker and her old OCI booklet. Take all three. If questioned on entry, just say that there was no time to get the OCI transferred and you would do that upon return to the US.

Why on earth would you apply for an Indian visa when your daughter already has a lifelong OCI status? Just because her old US passport is expiring, does not invalidate her OCI status. You can travel to India with her new US passport, her old US passport with the OCI visa sticker and her old OCI booklet. Take all three. If questioned on entry, just say that there was no time to get the OCI transferred and you would do that upon return to the US.

Ok. Wasn't sure if the U-visa sticker on old US passport and OCI booklet will be valid. Hence was checking.
Has anybody recently done this way?

OCI Reissue

I'm in thee same boat. I thought the OCI is for life long, but having to renew it every 5 years is extremely painful. Also, they are requesting for the Original US passport (which has the OCI stamp) and OCI booklet to issue the new OCI stamp on the new US passport. What if I don't get the OCI issued on time before the travel. I will be stuck, as the OCI documents will be with Travisa. Also, when I applied for OCI for my kid (in 2006), they were granting OCI for kids even if the Parents were on H1B Visa and doesn't need to be a US citizen. So, one of the document they are asking for OCI reissue is the renunciation certificate of Parents Indian passports, which I don't have. I would appreciate if folks can let me know on if it is ok to travel with the Old US passport which has the OCI stamp + OCI booklet + New US passport (which will not have the OCI stamp). Thanks!

I'm in thee same boat. I thought the OCI is for life long, but having to renew it every 5 years is extremely painful. Also, they are requesting for the Original US passport (which has the OCI stamp) and OCI booklet to issue the new OCI stamp on the new US passport. What if I don't get the OCI issued on time before the travel. I will be stuck, as the OCI documents will be with Travisa. Also, when I applied for OCI for my kid (in 2006), they were granting OCI for kids even if the Parents were on H1B Visa and doesn't need to be a US citizen. So, one of the document they are asking for OCI reissue is the renunciation certificate of Parents Indian passports, which I don't have. I would appreciate if folks can let me know on if it is ok to travel with the Old US passport which has the OCI stamp + OCI booklet + New US passport (which will not have the OCI stamp). Thanks!

OCI reissue is for life long. But only if it is minor's passport then you need to renew it every time the minor's passport is renewed. Otherwise for Adult passport it need not be done. BTW We just sent my son's passport for OCI Reissue and we just now got an email (within 10 days) from Travisa that OCI reissue has been approved and that we can send the new US passport for stamping the new U visa. So it was pretty quick. So I am sure if you do it now it should come soon. Good Luck.

OCI reissue is for life long. But only if it is minor's passport then you need to renew it every time the minor's passport is renewed. Otherwise for Adult passport it need not be done. BTW We just sent my son's passport for OCI Reissue and we just now got an email (within 10 days) from Travisa that OCI reissue has been approved and that we can send the new US passport for stamping the new U visa. So it was pretty quick. So I am sure if you do it now it should come soon. Good Luck.

Can you provide a list of documents you sent for renewing your son's OCI after issuance of new US passport? Thanks!

Traveled with no issues a couple years ago.
Carried both old and new passports with the OCI booklet.
Did not face any challenges. Everything went fine.

Hi,

Thanks.

Did you travel with old and new passport.. Is there any issue??

Hi,

Thanks.

" My kids are planning to visit India in June and I have the same issue... Don't have the time to restamp the U visa in their new passport. Please update "

anirem:

The U-visa will be valid even if the US passport expires. You can take the old US passport with U visa + new passport + OCI card. YOu should not have any problem when you leave from here.

Hi. Both my kids are in the same boat. I am leaving for India on the 22nd of June.While the mistake is entirely mine for not noticing that their passports have expired, I have applied for the renewal and will be getting it back in time. But I don't have time for the OCI sticker transfer. I know folks have replied on this thread that its hsould be okay, but I want to reconfirm this. Travelling with old&new passports+oci card should eb ok? Can anyone who recently traveled (in the last 2-3 months) share their experience? Thanks.

I went to the Indian Consulate in San Francisco today to get this confirmed and explore any other options (like tourist visa etc.). The official at the counter called some higher official and then asked me to travel with old+new passport and OCI card, if I didn't have enough time to get it transferred. He instructed me to get it done after my return.

I went to the Indian Consulate in San Francisco today to get this confirmed and explore any other options (like tourist visa etc.). The official at the counter called some higher official and then asked me to travel with old+new passport and OCI card, if I didn't have enough time to get it transferred. He instructed me to get it done after my return.

We have similar issue. We went to India Consulate in NY. The official said exactly opposite. He said take visitor visa for the kid and travel. We applied for and got visitor visa to India. Will be travelling with visitor visa in kid's new passport and OCI in kid's old passport. This is crazy.

Well, this is how this country works. None of this is a surprise.

Anyways, one of my neighbors had their kid on the same boat. They left for India a couple of weeks back and texted me yesterday that they did not have any problems at the Chennai airport with their kid's U visa on the old passport.

Just keeping my fingers crossed.

We have similar issue. We went to India Consulate in NY. The official said exactly opposite. He said take visitor visa for the kid and travel. We applied for and got visitor visa to India. Will be travelling with visitor visa in kid's new passport and OCI in kid's old passport. This is crazy.

This is really crazy. What is the meaning of getting OCI and U VISA? I think that office fellows have given the wrong info. Once you have OCI they should not give you visitor visa just because you have U VISA in your old passport.

Just wanted to update my travel experience. Entered through Chennai. No issues with U visa on old passport for minors. Was not asked any questions pertaining to this. Will try to get it transferred to the new passport upon my return to the US.

Just wanted to update my travel experience. Entered through Chennai. No issues with U visa on old passport for minors. Was not asked any questions pertaining to this. Will try to get it transferred to the new passport upon my return to the US.

I am 18 and am planning on traveling to India next week. I have OCI and I got my passport renewed a year ago. I still have my U-visa on the old passport. I am hoping I don't face any problem. All I need is my new passport, OCI card, and old passport with U-visa correct?