5 yr clock; interview descheduled

R2I2005

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

We were making excellent progress on our N400, applied 11/20 interview scheduled in NH 1/30/09. However, we just learnt that it was descheduled
due to unforeseen circumstances.

Based on our Green card approval date, 5 years completes Feb-6th, 2009.
I applied well after the 90-day (before 5yr) period. My question is, is it
a requirement to complete 5 yr before interview date? Could this be a
possible reason for my interview date change?

Please advice,

Thanks,

R2I2005 - a couple of responders to a similar question indicated that you could have your interview prior to the 5 yr date - only, your oath needed to after that date. It would suck if all along we've been following USCIS laid down guidelines (i.e. apply 90 days prior to the 5 yr date), all goes well and then at the last minute they realize that we might be having the interview before the 5 yr date...in that case, they shouldn't accept our applications at all before the 5 yr date. :mad::mad:

My guess is they might have some unforeseen logistical issues on your original interview date and so the deschedule - you should get a new appointment shortly - there shouldn't be any issues now, since it will DEFINITELY be after the 5 yr date. Good luck and keep us updated with what happens.

Only for the oath. Your timeline shows you might be moving too fast for DO to get your info from the service center. Might seem funny, but those guys sure move very slowly. Or maybe namecheck is not complete. Either way, there is not much you can do than wait for now. You can schedule an infopass to see why it was cancelled if you are able.

Hi All,

We were making excellent progress on our N400, applied 11/20 interview scheduled in NH 1/30/09. However, we just learnt that it was descheduled

Please advice,

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

We have had a few cases here in Boston that have moved from start to oath in 4 months. Lets see ..I have an infopass scheduled for 1/30.

thx

I applied well after the 90-day (before 5yr) period. My question is, is it a requirement to complete 5 yr before interview date? Could this be a
Sometimes they reschedule the interview because the initial interview date is before the 5 year date. For other people, they go ahead with the interview anyway a few days before the 5 years. They are inconsistent about it.

N-400 Issues

Hi All,

Please advice,

Thanks,

Hi All

I am little confused and need everyone's help.
While I have completed 5-years LPR requirement in November 2008, while attempting to fill in N-400 form, I came accross certain points. Never want to take risk of denial.
1) There have been several absences - three absences with more than 6 months. But I do complete their requirement of minimum 30 months physical presence during last five years as permanent resident. I read that absences of more than one year will give a break but it no where said that absences of more than 6 months will also create problems. While working on the work-sheet in the Guide, I got the final answer not eligible.
2) First absence of 10 months. Although I had obtained re-entry permit for 2 years; later I discovered that all this absence will give a break. Talked to embassy in India and they told me that absence of more than one year will certainly give a break and best option will be to return to US within 11 months as some friends advised. I returned in November 2004 after 10 months absence from January to November 2004 (after having taken immigration with first entry in November 2003; returned back to India in January 2004 to close down several pending matters and certain family emergencies). How all this can be satisfactorily explained.
What could be the best convincing justification answers to counter absences of more than 6-months and also not to enter the risk area of denial.
2) I am currently a permanent resident in NY and wanted to move to VA and decided to wait till filing of N-400. What is the current timeline in NY vis-a-vis VA after filing N-400.
3) Would like to hear real practical experience of everyone faced with same and similar situations.

Thank you all and look forward getting to know each one's experience faced with similar situations and whether anybody faced denial and with what consequences

NRI107

Any absence from the US of more than 6 months but less than 1 year presumes a break in continuous residence requirement unless you can demonstrate sufficient US residential ties during the time you were away. This includes, but not limited to, proof of rental/mortgage in US, immediate family in US while you were away, US bank statements, filed taxes as resident during entire statutory period, proof of ownership of US company (if applicable).

I read that absences of more than one year will give a break but it no where said that absences of more than 6 months will also create problems. While working on the work-sheet in the Guide, I got the final answer not eligible.
The Guide to Naturalization says that 6 months will break residence unless you can prove otherwise. See page 22.

5 yrs before interview ??? Is this the LAW?

I have just returned from a INFOPASS interview and was told that they do not
interview before the 5 yrs. I'm due to complete 5yrs on Feb 6th and I was scheduled for an interview today.

Where is this rule stated? Can someone clarify ...
Thanks

interview before the 5 yrs. I'm due to complete 5yrs on Feb 6th and I was scheduled for an interview today.

Where is this rule stated? Can someone clarify ...
It is not the law. It is their own procedural rule, a rule they do not follow consistently.

And what did they said about the interview notice you received? That is was sent out by mistake?

Obnoxious NH Manchester DO

I was told that it was a mistake. She did not even try to apologize.
She boasted that this happened because they have now become very
efficient and was able to catch me before the 5yr requirement was up.

What a bunch of crock....they are charging twice the amount for processing,
these fat cats better be efficient!

I'm not sure how long it'll take to get this rescheduled. I'll wait for a little
bit and contact them again soon.

I was told that it was a mistake. She did not even try to apologize.
She boasted that this happened because they have now become very
efficient and was able to catch me before the 5yr requirement was up.

What a bunch of crock....they are charging twice the amount for processing,
these fat cats better be efficient!

I'm not sure how long it'll take to get this rescheduled. I'll wait for a little
bit and contact them again soon.

If I were you I'd report it to the USCIS Ombudsman as an issue with their process. They need to change their process to make sure they don't schedule interview before 5 th year anniversary and inconvenience applicants.

Interview scheduled:

I got a letter yesterday, we are scheduled for an interview on 2/17. Hopefully we are back on-track.

I definitely agree

That went fast..at least the delay wasn't several months.

I am still waiting for my IL(Per IMO NC completed 12/29/08). I keep hoping it will come everyday but disappointed everyday. It is really good to see some folks are getting their process done quickly.

Hope my delay is not too lengthy.

I am still waiting for my IL(Per IMO NC completed 12/29/08). I keep hoping it will come everyday but disappointed everyday. It is really good to see some folks are getting their process done quickly.

Hope my delay is not too lengthy.

I don't get it..you applied a little over 2 months ago and you're disappointed ? What exactly are your expectations?

I am still waiting for my IL(Per IMO NC completed 12/29/08). I keep hoping it will come everyday but disappointed everyday.

You only applied about two months ago! - you are simply setting yourself up for many disappointments if you anticipate it "every day" at this stage.

I'm currently at 17 months - and still waiting for my oath letter. I'm so glad I got to pay the increased fee to shorten the process LOL.

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed
Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date
Nov 9,2007 - check cashed
Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",
Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)
Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)
Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request
Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date - recommended for approva
Mar 2009 - anticipated oath ceremony

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing

I understand where you guys are coming from but my expectations were base on the 90 days mentioned in the NOA and the 5 months processing time of my DO.

Recently quite a bit of folks are getting their ILs relatively quick.