3-year TN status

LuciDreamer

Registered Users (C)
09/11/2008: Good News for Canadian and Mexican Professionals - Three-Year TN "Final" Regulation Approved by OMB Yesterday

* The long awaited three-year TN visa reform will come into reality soon as the OMB cleared yesterday the "final rule" of the 3-Year TN visas for Canadian and Mexican professionals as drafted by the USCIS. Since this is a "final" rule, the rule will take effect as a legally binding rule upon publication in the federal register unlike the proposed rule that requires additional steps to reach as a legally binding rule. Congratulations to Canadian and Mexican professionals. Please stay tuned this website for the release of this final regulation in the federal register.

To all TN'ers, I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you...

Lucky for me I dont have to go thru the TN hassles anymore...

I’ve been living in Windsor ON and crossing the ambassador bridge daily for work in the US, just outside Detroit MI, since 1999.
I’m on a TN and I go every year with my paper work and money and renew on my way into work, like I’m required to.
My fellow Canadian coworkers and I have been reading about the 3 year TN and are looking forward at not having to renew every year.
However, I do have a few questions about the 3 year TN.

1. Will it cost 3 times as much? (Our company does not reimburse us for the yearly TN fee.)

2. Will there be a change in the paper work required to obtain a TN. Any changes to the offer letter that will be required?

3. Does anyone know at this point if all the job classifications are eligible for the 3 year TN visa?

Regards,
BCH

1. No. Since the border TN is simply an I-94, the only thing that will affect the price of border TN is a change to the I-94 price. You may not know that the price of mail-in TNs has risen dramitically in the past 3 years without any increase in the period of validity, simply with the filing cost of I-129.

2. No. There is no inherent change to the TN itself; merely the length of validity.

3. Yes. See #2.

Hi,

Thanks for Sharing. I just searched this on google, the only 2 sites that have such piece of info are The Oh Law Firm and your posting on here. Is this published anywhere on the goverment's sites?

Thanks

09/11/2008: Good News for Canadian and Mexican Professionals - Three-Year TN "Final" Regulation Approved by OMB Yesterday

* The long awaited three-year TN visa reform will come into reality soon as the OMB cleared yesterday the "final rule" of the 3-Year TN visas for Canadian and Mexican professionals as drafted by the USCIS. Since this is a "final" rule, the rule will take effect as a legally binding rule upon publication in the federal register unlike the proposed rule that requires additional steps to reach as a legally binding rule. Congratulations to Canadian and Mexican professionals. Please stay tuned this website for the release of this final regulation in the federal register.

Dear TN Status holders,

That is indeed good news.

Any idea how many months will it take before USCIS will actually start issuing 3 years TNs at the border?

Thanks for the information.

A couple of other questions, my border I94/TN is stapled into my passport at the border when it is issued.

I cross the border daily back into Canada from work, but I never ‘surrender’ my I94. It travels back and forth with me all year long right up to the point when I apply for a new one … just hand the old one back and receive the new one stapled into my passport.

However, I read on this web site about others who work and live in the US but surrender their I94 whenever they cross the Canadian border. Why is that?

Secondly, I’m getting married in a couple of weeks and we are honeymooning in Mexico. I’ve never been to Mexico before. We are flying directly from Detroit to Cancun. Do I need to surrender my I94/TN? Should I have it on me when I cross into Detroit but leave it in the car and travel without it when we fly from Detroit to Mexico?

Thanks,
BCH

TN I-94s are considered multiple entry, whether stated or not. There is no need to turn it in when you leave US, especially when staying when staying with North America.

I would keep it in the passport during your entire trip.

When I flew into America from China in January this year, the CBP officer took away my TN I-94 card and replaced it with a new one. He told me when I travel to US by air instead of land border, I have to reapply for a new TN. However, I didn't really REAPPLY for it. The officer merely gave me a new I-94 card that says TN status with the same expiration date as the original one. I didn't have to present any TN application document and I did not have them with me any way nor I had to tell them about my job and stuff.

Thanks for the information.

A couple of other questions, my border I94/TN is stapled into my passport at the border when it is issued....

Please refrain from hijacking other threads with a different topic...:mad:

now that I have gotten that out of my chest, here's what I know about your questions...

There's only 2 scenarios which require surrendering your I-94

1.) You are permanently returning to Canada i.e. no longer need to be in TN status - this requires you to surrender the i-94 to the canadian officer

2.) You are re-entering US via Air. This is a procedural/technical issue, where the US officer takes your existing I-94 cardboard, and re-issues you a new cardboard with that day's date of entry, but stamps the same expiry date as the old cardboard he's taken away. - This happened to me @ re-entry via Pearson Airport

Scenario # 2 is still done even if you are in possession of the I-797A form issued via mail-in renewal. The officer told me that he does not take away the I-94 that's attached on I-797A since it was issued by USCIS (Vermont office), but he takes the cardboard since it was issued by "his department" i.e. CBP office

Thanks Rschroeter, but this URL talks about the earlier "proposal" and is dated back in may, while the initial posting here suggested an approval on 9/10. I was asking if the "approval" of 9/10 is officially published?

Thanks

Ok, gotcha, sorry bout that. I suppose that too is something I'd be interested in seeing. :)

2.) You are re-entering US via Air. This is a procedural/technical issue, where the US officer takes your existing I-94 cardboard, and re-issues you a new cardboard with that day's date of entry, but stamps the same expiry date as the old cardboard he's taken away. - This happened to me @ re-entry via Pearson Airport

C'mon, .. procedural/technical issue :rolleyes:... get serious! the I-94 is not taken away when returning through Pearson I did it many times. They do take it if it has expired and is being replaced with a new one, either thru I-797 or if applying then and there.

C'mon, .. procedural/technical issue :rolleyes:... get serious!

Hey!...that's what the Officer said when I asked why he was taking it away :( ...and I usually refrain from "asking too many questions" coz some of them are sometimes on a power/ego trip

the I-94 is not taken away when returning through Pearson I did it many times. They do take it if it has expired and is being replaced with a new one, either thru I-797 or if applying then and there.

As usual...you may be right on this one :eek: ...IIRC, the I-94 cardboard that was taken away had expired in Oct-2005, and I was flying into US sometime in March-2007 using a valid I-797A issued in Oct-2006...which makes your statement correct

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be misunderstanding. Are people not free to post comments about this thread? I'm new here, so fair warning in a Sticky titled "Thread Posting Rules" would be appreciated, since you are so serious.

If there's a problem with your or anyone else's posts, I'm sure the moderators will deal with it then. Welcome aboard!

I may be misunderstanding. Are people not free to post comments about this thread? I'm new here, so fair warning in a Sticky titled "Thread Posting Rules" would be appreciated, since you are so serious.

rschroeter, my comment about "hijacking a thread" was squarely aimed @ bad_cliche_here .... s/he posted about "surrender of TN's I-94" which has nothing to do with the OP's 3-yr TN validity period

I think nelsona just had enough with the CAPS...you know, it almost like you were yelling...

Dont feel too bad....<<everyone gather around and give rschroeter a group hug>> ...we cool with u...:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: