• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Hi Everyone,

Finding all the posts really helpful! But just wondering if anyone knows how travelling abroad (from the US, say back to Aus) works after you have been given the Green Card? I know you have to land in the US by 30 Sep 2014 to activate the card, but do you have time to come back to Aus to get things in order etc, and if so, do you need to do any extra paperwork?

Thanks in advance!

Case No: 2014OC000007**

No, selectees do not have to land in the US by Sept 30th, 2014. The 'must land' date depends on the expiration date of your immigrant visa which must be issued by Sept. 30th, 2014.

Yes, after activating your GC you can depart from the US almost immediately. But bear in mind you're limited by how long you can stay away without jeopardizing your LPR status. If you plan on staying outside of the US for a year or more, then it will be in your best interest to stay back and apply for a re-entry permit, wait to receive the biometric notice and get the biometric done after which you can depart from the US. The re-entry permit can be mailed to your local US embassy/consulate for pick up, you don't have to wait in the US to receive it.

Well gang, this is almost it. Tomorrow I'll be heading back to the airport with my sealed yellow envelope, my chest X-rays, a passport with a temporary visa sticker pasted in it, and three suitcases to (holy hell) immigrate to the United States.

I paid the USCIS fee yesterday; it was simple and painless. I used an Australian credit card even though I'd intended to use my US debit card, and it worked just fine.

I'll be entering the country at LAX at 6:15am Sunday local time and I've got a connection to Denver at 1:00pm. That oughta give me plenty of time to get through whatever Immigration has in store for me, get my bags to the transfer desk and find a beer or two in the lounge before my next flights.

I'll make sure to do another detailed write-up of the entry process when I can. But until then, thanks to all for the helpful information and advice along the way. I can't believe the process is all but over for me - it seems like just yesterday that I joined up and started researching this whole adventure!

Congratulations and good luck with the move.

No, selectees do not have to land in the US by Sept 30th, 2014. The 'must land' date depends on the expiration date of your immigrant visa which must be issued by Sept. 30th, 2014.

Yes, after activating your GC you can depart from the US almost immediately. But bear in mind you're limited by how long you can stay away without jeopardizing your LPR status. If you plan on staying outside of the US for a year or more, then it will be in your best interest to stay back and apply for a re-entry permit, wait to receive the biometric notice and get the biometric done after which you can depart from the US. The re-entry permit can be mailed to your local US embassy/consulate for pick up, you don't have to wait in the US to receive it.

Thanks guys for your info, that's really helpful. Thanks for de-mystifying the interview process too craw33, great write-up. Can't wait to hear about how it goes when you land. Best of luck!

I still don't get it sorry. Is it the Australian Federal Police or our state police that we get the police check from?

"wait to receive the biometric notice and get the biometric done after which you can depart from the US."

What is the biometric notice?

I still don't get it sorry. Is it the Australian Federal Police or our state police that we get the police check from?

State police for a national police check. Exactly how the DV entrat

"wait to receive the biometric notice and get the biometric done after which you can depart from the US."

What is the biometric notice?

Not something you'll need to worry about unless you intend to leave for more than a year. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

Do we need the police check that is just name check, or the whole shebang, the finger print search and so on?

It seems that everyone has a different answer for this. I went the whole shebang because I'd rather have MORE police information than not enough when it came to interview time.

Well gang, this is almost it. Tomorrow I'll be heading back to the airport with my sealed yellow envelope, my chest X-rays, a passport with a temporary visa sticker pasted in it, and three suitcases to (holy hell) immigrate to the United States.

I paid the USCIS fee yesterday; it was simple and painless. I used an Australian credit card even though I'd intended to use my US debit card, and it worked just fine.

I'll be entering the country at LAX at 6:15am Sunday local time and I've got a connection to Denver at 1:00pm. That oughta give me plenty of time to get through whatever Immigration has in store for me, get my bags to the transfer desk and find a beer or two in the lounge before my next flights.

I'll make sure to do another detailed write-up of the entry process when I can. But until then, thanks to all for the helpful information and advice along the way. I can't believe the process is all but over for me - it seems like just yesterday that I joined up and started researching this whole adventure!

Incredible how high vs low number and family responsibilities make a difference... We won DV2013 and you'll be landing before us!!!! All the best of luck with the adventure ahead!

Do we need the police check that is just name check, or the whole shebang, the finger print search and so on?

In the immigrant visa FAQs on the US Embassy Canberra site it looks like either is acceptable. I still can't post links, but google "iv faqs us embassy canberra" and do a page find for "What type of Australian police check is required?".

Good luck Crawf33! That's great to read!

Thank you so much crawf/Adrian we appreciate all of your updates and shared experiences. I look forward yo making the same journey as you and hope that everything goes well for you going thru lax. Have a safe journey and congratulations again on your success.

Incredible how high vs low number and family responsibilities make a difference... We won DV2013 and you'll be landing before us!!!! All the best of luck with the adventure ahead!

I don't think I ever really considered it until I got to the consulate but my case really was one of the simplest ones for them to process. Single, no dependents, money in the bank, grade 12 and university degrees, clean health, clean police record. Throw a low case number in there and suddenly it's a very quick process (relatively).

Because of all that I'd already anticipated the move so all my worldly possessions are literally in the three suitcases I'm taking to the airport today. I know that's not the case for so many of my fellow DV lottery winners though.

Hi Emma,

Yep, when I get back, let's see if we can work how to chat more privately.

I had a conference call this morning and brought up your dilemma; one of my colleagues is a Professor at the Medical School - and, yes, you have that right! Anyway, he was outspoken to the point of bluntness that you not give up the Australian opportunity. I will follow up next week with him in more detail. Given that he is on the Admissions Board, I take his counsel very seriously.

As I see it, if you stay in Australia, you will finish your three year bachelor's degree this year. Next year, you will - we hope - have the opportunity to commence a 4 year MBBS degree. You will then have to do a years internship and two years residency. Then you are on your way and you could head to the US to complete further research at, let's say, Harvard.
(OK, by now you may be in a long-term relationship and need to convince your partner to join you. You should expect that support. We went as a couple - with baby daughter. And the majority of the Australians at my University are both senior researchers in Medicine and married.)

The alternative is to continue into your honours year. Be aware, that the three US universities we are talking about all require First Class Honours from 'British Commonwealth' - type institutions. (Some others may take Second Class/Div one.) Next you need to come to the US to do one (and possibly two) years 'Pre-Med'. To enter Med school, you need lots of things including letters of recommendation for Pre-Med Advisory people; your selection of course must give you that too. Your also need your MCAT etc and you should check the typical cut-off scores that are all over the web to make sure you are in the ball-park. So then you pay your money and apply - knowing that less than half the applicants get in. Hmmmmmm
(A bird in the Hand!)

Let's say you get in. As a typical example, you might like to go to web and look at the Duke Medical School site financial aid office to see what happens next. In short, every US University employs the noble principle that money will not prevent an accepted applicant from studying. In practice, you will see that Duke advises that the 'whole family' needs to be involved in the decision - meaning that the whole family (both natural parents and any spouse) are going to have to (at least, part) fund you. Typically they will be required to send in seven years tax returns so that they level of support can be gauged. They may also have to be guarantors for loans. You asked me what happens if they are not in the US; I do know that they are still expected to contribute and may have to deposit money in escrow (That was noted on the Yale web site that I sent you too.) And you may also need federal loans - some of these are onerous. When you graduate, complete your internships and residency (also highly competitive) you'll have to start paying back the rather big loans ($200k is typical); it is not deferred like HECS. Double Hmmmmmmm.
(Double bird in the hand.)

I feel I'm jumping on you a bit hard; please understand that is not my intention. I am trying to point out what a wonderful opportunity you have here. And on that note, I'm afraid there is one other matter you have raised that I'd like to inject some realism into.

You say that you are 'enamoured of the college experience in the US'. Which I agree with whole heartedly; I love it and next week will be there cheering on the home team in person. But that is not what you will be looking at! I am sure that you know the difference between 'Columbia College' and 'Columbia University'. You will be in one of the professional schools which have little to do with the College. Indeed, the Medical schools are usually very remote from the rest of the University - unlike Australia. The reason for this is that in the US, the big university medical schools operate their own hospital which are placed with patient convenience in mind. Columbia's med school complex is many subway stations north of the University; Harvard's complex (brilliant though it is) is closer to MIT than the Harvard Yard; and Yale-New Haven is on the other side of the Interstate connector - the medical students at these three schools could not see the main campus with binoculars. Attending them would give you a great 'Medical experience', but it would not be a 'college experience'. Indeed, the University of NSW Medical school would give you a better one.

Again forgive me if I'm being rough. But you have a great life-changing opportunity in your hands which could slip away. In support, let me point out that in 2011, Australian had 683 selectees for DV Green Cards, but only 275 took out visas. In 2012, the figures were 900 and 292. In short the vast majority of successful Australian selectees pass up the offer of the Visa. They cannot all be misguided.

In the meantime, enjoy the oncoming great Australian summer; perhaps putting this dilemma on ice for a few weeks.

Best wishes

Very late replying to this (I know you're in the States ATM anyway) - but just wanted to say thanks again for your help and I'm going to PM you! Definitely given me food for thought and not harsh at all- it's been incredibly useful advice as it appears I haven't done nearly enough research on the reality of trying to get enough money together (let alone gaining admission in the first place).. Am definitely leaning towards staying here to do medicine now..
Anyway, as I said, will PM you!

Well, I'm in!

Brisbane International was absolute chaos when I arrived at 8:30am for my 11:15am flight. I get priority check-in and an express pass through security and immigration and it still took me the better part of half an hour to do the latter two steps. After that I took down a couple of stress-relief Bloody Marys in the Air New Zealand Koru Lounge after discovering my flight had been delayed an hour.

The flight was actually fun, but I'll spare you the details. In contrast to Brisbane, LAX was almost a ghost town at 7:20am on Sunday morning and the brand-spanking new immigration gates were all staffed but barely busy at all. It took me longer to walk through the roped-off lanes than I spent talking to the initial immigration officer.

He was a cheery guy whose nametag read Camareno and he gave me a warm congratulations on winning the lottery. He told me he didn't need my incoming traveller card (your flight crew will make you take one, but evidently you don't need it) or my X-rays before scanning my right-hand fingerprints and taking a photo. Then he picked up my yellow envelope from the embassy and my passport, handed them to me and told me we were going to "take a walk". Along the way he asked me where I'm heading, whether I have friends or family meeting me, who my football team is and how long it took me to get through the visa process.

He dropped me at the far right end of the immigration gates at an area that said "New Immigrants and Asylees" with another immigration officer he referred to as Yoda. Yoda took my right index fingerprint, stamped each side of a form and told me to take a seat while he put it all together.

About five minutes later he called me over, handed me my passport and a slip of paper explaining that the stamp next to my temporary visa sticker was a stand-in for my physical green card, usable for one year. It said my green card will be mailed to the address I nominated "in approximately six months". Huh. Am I right in expecting it quicker than that?

In any case, I'm through and that was as easy as it gets. It took me longer to clear immigration in Australia for God's sake. If you guys have any other questions let me know!

Congratulations, Crawf! Very smooth and quick POE for you. Ours took quite a bit longer, probably because we did it at a Washington state border crossing with Canada and they don't get too many of us compared to LAX.

The GC should arrive way sooner than 6 months. It'll likely take 2 to 3 weeks unless something's changed lately.

All the best.

Best of luck!!! Thanks for your info...yes there will be a lot of bags with 4 of us!!! Hoping to settle north near Phoenix - Scottsdale ourselves a few hours from CO apparently..

DV2014OC00006XX
Entry Checked: 05/01/2013
Forms sent to KCC: 06/01/2013
Confirmed by KCC via email: Not Yet
2nd NL: Not Yet
Documents: Not Yet
Police Report: Not Yet
Medicals: Not Yet
Interview:Not Yet
POE: LAX

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I have my interview coming up in January. (Sydney).

Couple of quick questions:
What is the best way of contacting the Consulate in Sydney? Email? The Canberra Embassy site mentions that Sydney doesn't take phone calls for Immigrant Visa enquiries.

Has anyone here submitted a NZ police clearance authorisation form to Sydney? Did you post it, or did they accept an email?

Cheers.

Congrats Crawf33! Thanks so much for the rundown and sharing the whole process with us. It will make me feel so much more relaxed now when I enter the US. :)