• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Has anyone else gone current and is interviewing in Jan? I wonder how many interviews they actually do a month, given that a lot of people don't even end up persuing the visa up to this stage.

It would be interesting to see how many they conduct during each month. Does anyone know how many interview points there are in the oc region. We know Sydney, Suva, Auckland? From what I understand so far is that they seem to do the dv visa interviews one week per month.

Police Check

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't find the thread - just wondering if we need to get the Aus Police fingerprinting done when we do our police checks, or if just the history check is enough?

Thanks!

This might be a curly one but I'll ask anyway.

I'm yet too receive my physical green card and social security number in the mail - fair enough, I've only been back in the US for like 10 days.

But I've already got a job in the works and it's looking like I'll be made an official offer today. I remember reading somewhere that even without an SSN, I can use the visa number in my passport as evidence of permanent residency and presumably so I can be taxed at a resident rate. Is this correct?

This might be a curly one but I'll ask anyway.

I'm yet too receive my physical green card and social security number in the mail - fair enough, I've only been back in the US for like 10 days.

But I've already got a job in the works and it's looking like I'll be made an official offer today. I remember reading somewhere that even without an SSN, I can use the visa number in my passport as evidence of permanent residency and presumably so I can be taxed at a resident rate. Is this correct?

The visa stamped in your passport is adequate for evidence to start work. However, you will need to provide the SSN to pay tax. So - contact your local SS office to get the number EVEN if you don't have the physical card. You can at least provide the SSN number and that would satisfy their needs plus a copy of the I551 for the I9 if they are doing the admin correctly.

Congratulations on the job offer!

The visa stamped in your passport is adequate for evidence to start work. However, you will need to provide the SSN to pay tax. So - contact your local SS office to get the number EVEN if you don't have the physical card. You can at least provide the SSN number and that would satisfy their needs plus a copy of the I551 for the I9 if they are doing the admin correctly.

Congratulations on the job offer!

Would going to a social security office net me a number on the spot, or would it still be "wait for it in the mail"?

Would going to a social security office net me a number on the spot, or would it still be "wait for it in the mail"?

I think others have reported getting the number on the spot, with the card to follow. I think that is what happened in my wifes case when she was there as a student.

You will get the number on the spot if a request was put in on your behalf. However, a remarkable number of new immigrants have reported that the request was never put in on for them (regardless of the fact that they selected for the SSN to be requested on their DS-230 form), in such a case, you will not be given a number when you visit. They may ask you to come back the following day to get the number, but the card is usually received within a couple of days of making the visit to the SSA building.

My husband and I were ones that didn't get an SSN processed despite requesting it on our DS-230 forms. When we went to the Social Security office, we went through the whole process of applying for SSNs and they told us the numbers would be generated overnight. In the meantime, they gave us a letter saying we were "in the system", approved for an SSN. We went back the next day and picked up letters with our SSNs. Our cards arrived about a week later.

At ease everyone - my SSN came in the mail today an hour after I received and formally accepted my job offer! Maine here I come.

At ease everyone - my SSN came in the mail today an hour after I received and formally accepted my job offer! Maine here I come.

You are a lucky man! May God bless me a USA green card and a new job in next few months.

My case number is 200x, the when I can get interview?

Hro, more than likely your interview will be late next year, am thinking June, July, August or perhaps even September. Hopefully we will get an interview, my number is similar to yours. We wont know however until more months worth of numbers come out. Safe to say though it wont be before March.

Hi mijoro,

Hopefully, the US consular give us a chance to live and work in America.

I hope so too hro. There are a few of us in here with similar numbers so you are not alone.