• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Hey @crawf33

We are!!! hahah. first thing in the morning I'm up!
Yes definitely going to need a BIG glass of wine after all this!
Still can't find where to get the police check.. does anyone know the site?

Ta :)

OMG how exciting for you both.... I cant wait to hear all about it when you guys finish.

And I am thinking that they must just dedicate a week or 2 per month to doing interviews for DV's

Hey @crawf33

We are!!! hahah. first thing in the morning I'm up!
Yes definitely going to need a BIG glass of wine after all this!
Still can't find where to get the police check.. does anyone know the site?

Ta :)

Haha small world. Seeya then I guess! I've got 9:30am; I'm presuming that's pretty early in the piece but I'm not sure what time the consulate opens. Either way I'll be finding the closest bar shortly after!

I went to my local police station (Indooroopilly in Brisbane, for reference) and told them I needed a full national police check. According to the Queensland Police website, the specific type of police check for immigration purposes was the one where they also take fingerprints etc - it cost me $180 I think. That seems to marry up with other experiences I've read. The woman at the police station was adamant that I double-check before I went and paid $180 for it, in case I only needed a "cheaper" one, but either way I figured I'd be better off having extra information (i.e. fingerprints) than not enough.

Hey @crawf33
awwwww just realised your from Brissy and i'm from Sydney.
Mine is at 9.30 too, so looks like we will be interviewed at the same time only in different states! haha Bummer

Thanks so much for that, I think I will just go to the police station and do it through them.

Good luck with your interview. Look forward to coming back here afterwards to share our experiences! :)

Getting worried

I'm getting a bit worried, my number was less than 20 but I didn't get my forms sent till 20th June. I have had no word from the KCC. Should I be worrying yet or is it still too early.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

AllyJane he will be interviewed in Sydney as well as there is only one place in Australia that you can be interviewed at

Hey @crawf33
awwwww just realised your from Brissy and i'm from Sydney.
Mine is at 9.30 too, so looks like we will be interviewed at the same time only in different states! haha Bummer

Haha as mijoro mentioned, all the interviews are done in Sydney. So guess I'll be seeing ya on November 12!

Hi guys, I need your help!

I won the 2014 DV lottery and returned my application forms in May. I contacted the KCC by email and have been told they've received my paperwork (this was back in July), but am yet to hear anything else.
My number is in the 600s - should I have heard about an interview by now? How are you contacted for an interview - post or email?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I need your help!

I won the 2014 DV lottery and returned my application forms in May. I contacted the KCC by email and have been told they've received my paperwork (this was back in July), but am yet to hear anything else.
My number is in the 600s - should I have heard about an interview by now? How are you contacted for an interview - post or email?

Thanks!

No you should not have heard about an interview now. The visa bulletin for October shows Oceana at a cutoff of 375 for November. That published number needs to exceed your number for you to expect an interview.

You will get an email when your number is current. Be patient.... it will probably be a month or two at least before you hear anything.

No you should not have heard about an interview now. The visa bulletin for October shows Oceana at a cutoff of 375 for November. That published number needs to exceed your number for you to expect an interview.

You will get an email when your number is current. Be patient.... it will probably be a month or two at least before you hear anything.

OK, cool. Thanks for your speedy reply, britsimon. :)

My number is very low 2000s.

Can someone tell me when they think I might be interviewed? Also, if one succeeds, how many months after the interview to you HAVE to enter the US? I need to be in Australia in October next year do you think if I was successful and everything went sweet with the green card I could still be in Australia in October next year without breaking some rule? I read somewhere although I am deeply unhappy I forgot where, that people who get approved fully apporved interview success and all that, have six months to get their %$# together in Australia before they have to ship out? That is six months AFTER the interview? is this correct?

I am pretty sure it is 6 months from interview that you must enter a US state (i.e. US mainland or Hawaii) to "activate" your greencard. I have read of Aussies who do that and then return home for a short period to completely get ready for the final move etc (in my case, if I am successful this next round of DV, I will have to enter and return to Australia for a few months to graduate).

Hopefully someone will confirm this who have done it :)

Regarding your number, according to last years bulletin (easy to look up), in June, ALL numbers were current. In May, it was cut off at 1150. I think this is the first year the numbers have been so high so I am unsure how the number will progress, but at least you have last years as a benchmark.

All the best, and congratulations on being selected - how awesome!

Q

Last edited by a moderator:

Can someone tell me when they think I might be interviewed? Also, if one succeeds, how many months after the interview to you HAVE to enter the US? I need to be in Australia in October next year do you think if I was successful and everything went sweet with the green card I could still be in Australia in October next year without breaking some rule? I read somewhere although I am deeply unhappy I forgot where, that people who get approved fully apporved interview success and all that, have six months to get their %$# together in Australia before they have to ship out? That is six months AFTER the interview? is this correct?

Yes, if you do CP your passport will be stamped with a I551 temporary visa. As you said you then have 6 months to enter the USA and activate your Green Card. It is ideal to then wait until your GC arrives and then you are free to leave the USA to conclude whatever business you have back home - assuming that will only take a few weeks or months. While you hold a GC you should not be out of the US for more than 12 months at a time without filing a form with USCIS to make sure they don't assume you have abandoned your GC. Remember that once you have the GC you have responsibilities of a LPR such as filing US tax returns and so on...

Following your interview, you will have 6 months in which to enter the US and activate your LPR status, assuming your medical is not set to expire before then. If for some reason, you do your medical way early, and the medical exam has less than 6 months validity, then your visa expiry date will be less than 6 months, meaning your visa will be set to expire the same time as your medical exam.

Once you come into the US and activate your new LPR status, a new stamp will be placed on your passport and this will be good for 1 year to act as your GC. You can leave the US immediately, without receiving the plastic GC itself if you need to (hopefully you have a trust worthy person at the US address you've listed for your GC to be sent to).

You can now stay back in Australia for upto 1 year without any fear of jeopardizing your new status (with or without the plastic GC in your possession). However if you need to stay away for more than 1 year, then you need to apply for a re-entry permit when you come in to activate your LPR status, the permit is usually good for upto 2 years. You will not be able to leave immediately as you will need to wait and do biometrics after sending in your application.