• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

These are Boss78's projections for how the process will go for the OC area.

Below, see some data from OCEANIA 2011-2013. also included is 2014 projected. the tables include: total number of applicants, total selected, and the total number of visas issued from 2011-13.

578562pendingpending
7-9%7-9%pendingpending
The second table includes the CNs interviewed each month with those three years. and my projection on 2014. your comments please.

MONTH2011201220132014
OCTOBER350300250350
NOVEMBER650500400710
DECEMBER700575500900
JANUARY7756506001200
FEBRUARY8107757251490
MARCH9009258501750
APRIL1000100010002000
MAY1175115011152310
JUNE1300CURRENT12752500
JULY1400CURRENT1450CURRENT
AUGUSTCURRENTCURRENT1600CURRENT
SEPTEMBERCURRENTCURRENTPENDINGCURRENT

I have changed the Pending to 1600 for August for the 2013 draw as that is the current cut off number for OC.

The above projections [esp. for 2014] is based on the following;

THe first reason is that my CN is 28xx, so i came up with the projection to comfort myself. seriously...!

Then again the projection is absolutely possible; because of two reaons. First, the US Congress has put MORE PRESSURE on both the DoS and USCIS to process ALL DV applications before the physical year ends [1/10/13-30/10/2014]. and this is particularly evident in the last 5 or so years. During that period all applicants have been given the opportunity to have an interview. That is why, nearly all regions had become current by June/July of each year. Second, MORE STAFF is not an issue. Because, DoS/USCIS has the capacity of process the entire 3000 OC selectees in only one month. Btw, in th last 8 years, while these departments were interviewing only 150-250 [Oceania selectees] each month - they have also been inteviewing upto 3000/month on other regions. See AFTRICA, ASIA and South America for instance. So our number is 'peanuts'.

Because they have increased our qouta this year, means that 1/3 more from OC will be given GC this year. Also, the department councerned will increase on those being interviewed each month.

and...thanks Mijoro for improving the table.

Ahh - there is an increase in the quota for OC? I didn't know that - where did you see that published?

Ahh - there is an increase in the quota for OC? I didn't know that - where did you see that published?

I could have made a mistake.

1. 7% of roughly 20,000 Oceania applicants [or a quarter of 2000 selectees] has been around 500-600 GC for the last 8 or so years. so with the increase of "a thousand selectees" this physical year, i assumed that if the percentage remains unchanged, then there might be an increase in the GC awarded to OC. However, i realise that i might have made a mistake. Unlike the last few years [where the total seletees were 100,000], this year, 25,000 more were selected for further processing. Perhaps this could explain why there is an increase of "1,000" selectees for Oceania this year.

2. Then again one wonders why the DoS & USCIS made an increase in their Selectees? Two rumours exist. First, that US intelligence is using DV lottery as a drive to "collect data". So this entire operation is increasingly becoming a bait to gauge details for litterally hundreds of millions of people who apply. Second, it is also possible that DoS/USCIS have not been able to issue the required total of 50,000 visas each year. Due to its lengthy processing situation, and other issues many selectees either do not get processed or drop out. That is why there has been "second", "third" and other follow-up selections after the mega draw on "May 1" each year. and also if one could go by the data on the "Visa Bulltentin", the interviewing process has become "CURRENT" in either JUNE or JULY [for the last 9 or so years]. This could suggest that the DoS/USCIS have not run out of VISAS but exhausted the candidates/selectees. This could be one reason why these departments have increased BOTH the number of selectees in 2014 by 25,000, and left open the option to periodically select more [if/when need arises] during the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have made a mistake.

1. 7% of roughly 20,000 Oceania applicants [or a quarter of 2000 selectees] has been around 500-600 GC for the last 8 or so years. so with the increase of "a thousand selectees" this physical year, i assumed that if the percentage remains unchanged, then there might be an increase in the GC awarded to OC. However, i realise that i might have made a mistake. Unlike the last few years [where the total seletees were 100,000], this year, 25,000 more were selected for further processing. Perhaps this could explain why there is an increase of "1,000" selectees for Oceania this year.

2. Then again one wonders why the DoS & USCIS made an increase in their Selectees? Two rumours exist. First, that US intelligence is using DV lottery as a drive to "collect data". So this entire operation is increasingly becoming a bait to gauge details for litterally hundreds of millions of people who apply. Second, it is also possible that DoS/USCIS have not been able to issue the required total of 50,000 visas each year. Due to its lengthy processing situation, and other issues many selectees either do not get processed or drop out. That is why there has been "second", "third" and other follow-up selections after the mega draw on "May 1" each year. and also if one could go by the data on the "Visa Bulltentin", the interviewing process has become "CURRENT" in either JUNE or JULY [for the last 9 or so years]. This could suggest that the DoS/USCIS have not run out of VISAS but exhausted the candidates/selectees. This could be one reason why these departments have increased BOTH the number of selectees in 2014 by 25,000, and left open the option to periodically select more [if/when need arises] during the year.

Ahhh ok - so it is the extra 20% of selectees that is drivingh this.

Yes there has been much seculation about why they did that. FYI they normally have selected around 105k so it is regarded as a 20% increase. The extra 1000 selectees you mention sounds on the high side but in Europe the max number last year was around 45k and this year around 55k - so the 20% makes sense.

As to the theories. The first one you mention is laughable and I have never heard that rumour before. The 15 million entries cover about .25% of the worls population - why the heck would that help the US in any way.

The second is closer - ad in my view, the most likely possibility. 105K selectees didn't max out the allocation, so the theory is increase it by 20% and remove the need for a second drawing that has happened some years.

Anyway - hopefully there will be plenty to go around...

Ahhh ok - so it is the extra 20% of selectees that is drivingh this.

Yes there has been much seculation about why they did that. FYI they normally have selected around 105k so it is regarded as a 20% increase. The extra 1000 selectees you mention sounds on the high side but in Europe the max number last year was around 45k and this year around 55k - so the 20% makes sense.

As to the theories. The first one you mention is laughable and I have never heard that rumour before. The 15 million entries cover about .25% of the worls population - why the heck would that help the US in any way.

The second is closer - ad in my view, the most likely possibility. 105K selectees didn't max out the allocation, so the theory is increase it by 20% and remove the need for a second drawing that has happened some years.

Anyway - hopefully there will be plenty to go around...

About the first theory, read this:

http://www.mygreencard.com/downloads.php?file=DVLotterySummary_2008.pdf

Hi Guys...

Just checking, the forms sent to KCC are only the 2 DS forms provided, the selection letter and 2 photos yes??

Thank you :)

Hi Guys...

Just checking, the forms sent to KCC are only the 2 DS forms provided, the selection letter and 2 photos yes??

Thank you :)

2 forms, 2 photos and the barcode page of the selection letter (I don't think they care for the first page, just the barcode page).

2 forms, 2 photos and the barcode page of the selection letter (I don't think they care for the first page, just the barcode page).

Awesome thanks! I actually missed sending the barcode form.. but called KCC and they said it would not effect my case.. well I really hope it doesn't!! I emailed them too just to be sure

The above projections [esp. for 2014] is based on the following;

THe first reason is that my CN is 28xx, so i came up with the projection to comfort myself. seriously...!

Then again the projection is absolutely possible; because of two reaons. First, the US Congress has put MORE PRESSURE on both the DoS and USCIS to process ALL DV applications before the physical year ends [1/10/13-30/10/2014]. and this is particularly evident in the last 5 or so years. During that period all applicants have been given the opportunity to have an interview. That is why, nearly all regions had become current by June/July of each year. Second, MORE STAFF is not an issue. Because, DoS/USCIS has the capacity of process the entire 3000 OC selectees in only one month. Btw, in th last 8 years, while these departments were interviewing only 150-250 [Oceania selectees] each month - they have also been inteviewing upto 3000/month on other regions. See AFTRICA, ASIA and South America for instance. So our number is 'peanuts'.

Because they have increased our qouta this year, means that 1/3 more from OC will be given GC this year. Also, the department councerned will increase on those being interviewed each month.

and...thanks Mijoro for improving the table.

I personally think there has to be some reason they chose 125,000 people this year. Logic tells me they want to give away all the green cards without having to go to a second draw. I mean, why would they choose more people, only to set them up for disappointment? So I think we will see the numbers climb higher quicker next year.

I don't have a crystal ball, but this seems to make the most sense to me.

Another 2014 winner here from New Zealand - 2014OC000019**
Could some one please copy the link to the 2013 DV lottery winners thread? Sounds like it's a helpful page to have a scroll through but my not-so-awesome computer skills are preventing me from finding it!

Thanks in advance

Update from KCC

My wife sent an email to the KCC in order to confirm that they had received our application... in addition to confirming our query, they went on to mention the following...

"KCC is currently scheduling visa numbers for your region for the month of August. Please refer to the visa bulletin at www.travel.state.gov to locate the current numbers being processed. This bulletin is updated after the 15th day of each month."

If that's the case, it sounds like the progression will be faster and possibly starting earlier than usual? Our CN is in the OC9XX range so an interview before the end of 2013 for us would be ideal from a timing perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife sent an email to the KCC in order to confirm that they had received our application... in addition to confirming our query, they went on to mention the following...

"KCC is currently scheduling visa numbers for your region for the month of August. Please refer to the visa bulletin at www.travel.state.gov to locate the current numbers being processed. This bulletin is updated after the 15th day of each month."

If that's the case, it sounds like the progression will be faster and possibly starting earlier than usual? Our CN is in the OC9XX range so an interview before the end of 2013 for us would be ideal from a timing perspective.

Perhaps she was speaking about DV2013 interviews for August?

There's absolutely no way processing for DV 2014 will begin before Oct 1st, 2013. The reference to cases being processed for the month of August has to do with DV 2013.

There's absolutely no way processing for DV 2014 will begin before Oct 1st, 2013. The reference to cases being processed for the month of August has to do with DV 2013.

Our CN is 2014OC000009XX which was quoted on our message to the KCC in order to confirm receipt of our forms. If their response is not referring to the 2014 OC winners, I'm definitely a little confused??

Our CN is 2014OC000009XX which was quoted on our message to the KCC in order to confirm receipt of our forms. If their response is not referring to the 2014 OC winners, I'm definitely a little confused??

As Sm1smom said - it will only be 2013. I imagine they left that phrase in a standard email by mistake - there is no way they are starting 2014 processing early.

I can understand your confusion. The truth is the KCC staff who respond to email messages or answer the phone are not direct employees of the Dept of State, they are contract staff and their understanding or knowledge is limited. They mostly supply standard/generic responses to most of the inquiries they receive, and whoever responded to your email did not do a good job of editing it to fit with your question hence the misinformation.

Hello guys,

I've also created a separate post for this query, but I was hoping you guys might be able to give a few words of advice about my eligibility for the 2014 DV. I'm from Australia and won the lottery this year. My number is 2014OC000007XX so I'm hopeful of an interview sometime next March or thereabouts.

My question relates to my eligibility based on country of birth. In short, I was born in England, which is ineligible for the DV lottery. My father had been doing some postgrad study there and my mother was along for the ride, when I was unexpectedly conceived. I was born shortly after my father finished his studies and within six months, we had returned to Australia. Since my parents were in the UK temporarily, I understand that I should still be eligible for the DV under my Australian nationality as "an alien born in a foreign state in which neither parent was born or had residence at the alien's time of birth". Is that correct? My parents were both born in Australia and were not actually residing in the UK (although the distinction between study and residence may be a fine one).

Now here's where it gets a bit complex. We returned to the UK when I was 6 and I then spent most of my life until my mid-twenties moving back and forth between the UK and Australia. Along the way, I picked up a UK high school education, UK undergrad and UK master's degrees, as well as UK citizenship. I left the UK in 2004 and have been back in Oz since 2006. I also have a couple of Australian postgrad qualifications (clearly I won't struggle with the educational requirement!), however all the interviewer will have to rely on regarding my early years is my word. I have no proof that my parents were only in the UK temporarily, nor that we moved back to Australia straight after I was born. I'm guessing my high school and further studies in the UK might make it look like I lived there permanently until I was an adult (which I didn't).

My question is this: will it be sufficient for me simply to explain the situation to the interviewer or will they need further proof that my parents were only in the UK temporarily? If so, is a statutory declaration by my father likely to suffice? Secondly, I read somewhere that to be counted as an Australian for chargeability purposes, it would be sufficient to establish that my parents were in the UK temporarily. Given that they were only there because of my father's studies and we moved back following my birth, I assume this would count as a temporary stay in the UK. Is that correct?

Thoughts gratefully appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

Hey Guys if any of you have sent in your forms using Australia Post International Express letters envelope and cant see if its been delivered just go to the usps.com site and enter the express postage details and it will give you all the info.

The australia post site came up as product untrackable.

Hey Guys if any of you have sent in your forms using Australia Post International Express letters envelope and cant see if its been delivered just go to the usps.com site and enter the express postage details and it will give you all the info.

The australia post site came up as product untrackable.

I just tried this after getting not a lot of joy on the australia post site. Worked a treat !! Down to the details of who signed for it. Thanks for posting this info.