• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Yes. That's why Im freaking out about my high case number. Not just worried about going current, worried that if I am current in August or September it will be a race against time to get processed before the end of the fiscal year and before the global limit gets hit. Changing to CP is not an really an option for me.

Im drinking more these days lol :p

Are you doing AOS ?????

Yes. That's why Im freaking out about my high case number. Not just worried about going current, worried that if I am current in August or September it will be a race against time to get processed before the end of the fiscal year and before the global limit gets hit. Changing to CP is not an really an option for me.

Im drinking more these days lol :p

Hearty you gonna break my heart :(
You will not make it through AOS ! I went through the AOS thread just to see how long it takes to be processed !
Its about two months :( and in your case you will run of time dude !
Switch to CP man what ever it costs you please.

Ugh. Its not a question of cost Vladdy, its more one of practicality. I have been looking at the last pages of the DV2010 and DV2011 AOS forums and people did get their visas who were current in August and September. But I am considering changing to CP

Dear people of the Australia forum I need your help. Two questions...

1. Do you know whether you need to order the police checks in person or could I have someone (under power of attorney) order them for me. (Im from Brisbane)

2. I lived in England for around 10 months and Scotland for 10 months- do you think I need to get police checks for them? Has anyone had to order them and how long did it take?

Ive no problem flying back for an interview and medical (I think you can do the medical on the same day?) but flying back to order a police check is the issue. Im on my OPT and re-entering (after showing immigrant intent) is the concern. My other fear is that if I come back for the interview and I dont get the visa for whatever reason I may not be able to get back into the US to wrap up my life. I would need to end my lease and sell everything and ship things back to Australia and I have my dog who I would need to arrange for export. Its a worry...:confused:

QUOTE=vladek15425;2687394]Hearty you gonna break my heart :(
You will not make it through AOS ! I went through the AOS thread just to see how long it takes to be processed !
Its about two months :( and in your case you will run of time dude !
Switch to CP man what ever it costs you please.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Linonhawk- so the AFP one covers the whole country right.?So I dont have to get a separate one for Queensland and one for Victoria (I lived in both)

My question re England and the UK is raised because I did see a guy who lived in Japan for 11 months and he was told he needed the police check from Japan in his interview and it held up processing for a few months. Also whilst England and Scotland are separate countries they are both part of the United Kingdom. The issue is whether the UK is a "locality" and if so I lived there for more than 12 months. If its by a country-by-country basis then Im fine.

1.You do it online through the AFP website and you shall get it in 14-18 days,

2.http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...ty-visa/instructions-for-selectees/civil.html

Thanks Linonhawk- so the AFP one covers the whole country right.?So I dont have to get a separate one for Queensland and one for Victoria (I lived in both)

My question re England and the UK is raised because I did see a guy who lived in Japan for 11 months and he was told he needed the police check from Japan in his interview and it held up processing for a few months. Also whilst England and Scotland are separate countries they are both part of the United Kingdom. The issue is whether the UK is a "locality" and if so I lived there for more than 12 months. If its by a country-by-country basis then Im fine.

You will need a UK police cert from acro. The reciprocity pages lists the UK so that includes time you spent in England and Scotland.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/UK.html

The Acro page is here:- http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

I think you are right to consider CP. I am convinced that cutoffs will be hit, so whilst previous years may have seen aos cases getting finished in late September I think the cutoffs will have been hit by then - probably in the first half of September. I wouldn't have opted for aos if I were starting in September - and probably not in August either. I'll be starting in June and I am accepting that I am increasing my risk (although I think it is a small risk if I can get it done by early August.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I kind of feel sick. Ive been cruising along assuming I'll do AOS and now Im going to have to haul a** and get up to speed with CP.

I saw that Crawf got a fingerprint check from his local police station- do I need that? Is the AFP police check that I can order online sufficient if Ive lived in both Qld and Vic? Thanks

Thanks Britsimon- So I'll go ahead and order the UK police check.

So the website says "Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the United States". Do you think that applies to me? Im not a "resident" in the legal sense but I reside here????

Wow. I kind of feel sick. Ive been cruising along assuming I'll do AOS and now Im going to have to haul a** and get up to speed with CP.

I saw that Crawf got a fingerprint check from his local police station- do I need that? Is the AFP police check that I can order online sufficient if Ive lived in both Qld and Vic? Thanks

Thanks Britsimon- So I'll go ahead and order the UK police check.

So the website says "Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the United States". Do you think that applies to me? Im not a "resident" in the legal sense but I reside here????

No one needs a USA police report - USCIS can access the background check information that the agencies make available to each other.

CP is much simpler than aos. If you meet the requirements, get all the forms and documents together, you turn up at your interview and you are done. There will be a delay after the interview to get your passport back, so don't book the return flight for too soon. Also, its worth checking with the doctor about doing the medical so soon to the interview. Find out how soon they can have the report ready so you can avoid being held up on AP waiting for the report.

Yep the AFP covers all the Police jurisdictions and you will be fine. There are two types of checks, the name check and the finger print one, Unless your name has been changed or altered, A name check will be sufficient.
http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a re-entry permit? Say from applying to biometrics? It's my understanding you can leave after your biometrics are done and they can send the re-entry permit to an embassy overseas

Previous post reveal she has a 300 number, but that she only submitted forms a couple of weeks ago. So - the KCC lady was calculating assuming the time it takes to process the forms - and that reneec would be fully ready to be scheduled at the next VB.

Yes I have a mid 300 number. My paperwork was processed just after the May interview dates were given. She explained that the June interview dates will be given between 15-30th of April :) Sorry to confuse you!

Yes I have a mid 300 number. My paperwork was processed just after the May interview dates were given. She explained that the June interview dates will be given between 15-30th of April :) Sorry to confuse you!

Tegan's for the additional interview. I had assumed that they continue scheduling interviews after the vb batch, but your experience tells us that KCC wait until the next vb - interesting.

Peeps some questions re the 230 form that Im only now filling out- eek!

1. did you put all your schooling including primary school?
2. what did you do if you needed more space- I can't fit all my schooling or my professional associations in the space provided.
3. is there an official instructions guide that anyone has come across.I can't find one online..

Been trying to search the forums but turns out the search function kind of sucks.

Peeps some questions re the 230 form that Im only now filling out- eek!

1. did you put all your schooling including primary school?
2. what did you do if you needed more space- I can't fit all my schooling or my professional associations in the space provided.
3. is there an official instructions guide that anyone has come across.I can't find one online..

Been trying to search the forums but turns out the search function kind of sucks.

You can add a separate papper where you can list all your shooling,and your work experience as well, some didn't do it !
But rather be safe than sorry :)

Ok thanks! Also for prior visits to the US- it says "location" what does that mean? Port of entry or where you spent most of your time? What if you travelled all over?

You can add a separate papper where you can list all your shooling,and your work experience as well, some didn't do it !
But rather be safe than sorry :)

Official instructions guide? It's a pretty straightforward form...

1. I did put my primary school details on the DS-230. I don't know if I had to, but too much information is better than not enough, in my opinion.

2. This is what it says on the form: If there is insufficient room on the form, answer on a separate sheet using the same numbers that appear on the form. Attach any additional sheets to this form.

Also, in reference to one of your earlier questions, unless you've changed your name, it's been confirmed that you don't need to do fingerprints.

(Edit: I forgot you were outside Australia, so I scratched my comment about AFP checks.)

As for doing your interview and medical on the same day...unless you can absolutely avoid it, I wouldn't. On top of the regular load of interview stress, you're no doubt then going to be worrying about making it out of the consulate in enough time to get to the medical, which can take a few hours between X-rays, pathology and the examination. And on top of that, you won't be approved until the consulate sees the medical results, which take a week or so to be finalized, plus however long it takes them to get to the consulate.

Argh. My head is spinning- sorry didn't see that instruction on the form.

Police checks
So don't use AFP police checks???? I live in New York currently but have lived in both Qld and Vic. I checked their police websites:

The Vic police website says:
International and national applications

Victoria Police does not conduct police record checks for overseas or interstate applicants, temporary/permanent residency or citizenship.

Overseas applicants or applicants wanting temporary/permanent residency or citizenship must apply to the Australian Federal Police (AFP). For these purposes, please visit the Australian Federal Police website. Interstate applicants must apply to their respective police jurisdiction.

The Qld police website says:

Persons who are Australian residents but living or travelling outside of Australia and seeking a national Police Certificate should apply to the Australian Federal Police. Information on applying can be obtained at www.afp.gov.au

So I guess Im doing an AFP check????!!

Medical

I think I'll fly back a week before the interview and do the medical asap, rather than same day.

Official instructions guide? It's a pretty straightforward form...

1. I did put my primary school details on the DS-230. I don't know if I had to, but too much information is better than not enough, in my opinion.

2. This is what it says on the form: If there is insufficient room on the form, answer on a separate sheet using the same numbers that appear on the form. Attach any additional sheets to this form.

Also, in reference to one of your earlier questions, DON'T get AFP checks. I'm quite certain the Sydney consulate website actually says not to. You need to get police checks from the state police department, not the feds. And unless you've changed your name, it's been confirmed that you don't need to do fingerprints.

As for doing your interview and medical on the same day...unless you can absolutely avoid it, I wouldn't. On top of the regular load of interview stress, you're no doubt then going to be worrying about making it out of the consulate in enough time to get to the medical, which can take a few hours between X-rays, pathology and the examination. And on top of that, you won't be approved until the consulate sees the medical results, which take a week or so to be finalized, plus however long it takes them to get to the consulate.

Ok thanks! Also for prior visits to the US- it says "location" what does that mean? Port of entry or where you spent most of your time? What if you travelled all over?

For that I got no idea ! I never been to the US of A yet :p
Let's wait for simon he will help you .