• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Thanks for your answer Crawf!

Another question…

My partner and I were looking at potentially entering Hawaii either on our way to mainland US (for technically our honeymoon!) or to then come home to Australia before moving permanently to the US. We were thinking of going to Hawaii for 2-3 weeks. Would our green card be processed while we were in Hawaii? Could we have it given to us there or would it need to be sent to an address on the mainland? My partner's aunty lives in California and we could have it sent there…

Thanks!

Also, if you look a few posts above yours, you'll see shoesanna used Hawaii as her point of entry and their green cards were at their registered address within what sounds like about three and a half weeks. So depending on how long you're going, you could gamble on them being there before you leave.

Your mileage may vary of course!

Hi Tommy,

I had my interview last week. I went with the name check only and there was no problem. It's been mentioned before on this board that you only need the fingerprint check if you've changed your name at some point in the past.

Good luck!

I was worried about that too, but I just went with the name check (after checking with KCC and Consultae with only vague responses) and it was all good (had a successful interview last week)
Good luck!

Interview over. Visa not approved.... YET!

We had everything we needed, plus a bunch of stuff we didn't. The doctor who did our medicals forgot to fill in a couple of tick boxes on the first page of my forms! The consulate will contact him and get the required form completed. It will take about an extra week of processing, but talk about anti-climatical! Been told to contact the consulate if we haven't received our passports back in 2 weeks.

So, detailed run down. Our appointment was for 9am, we got to the consulate at 8. Went up to the 10th floor, through security, ID checked, names ticked off a list We were staying in a hotel around the corner so we didn't take electronics, bags, etc. It was just the forms in a paper envelope, a book to read, wallet and sunnies. The sunnies had to stay with security. Waited for a couple of minutes at level 10 before we were ushered into the elevator to level 59. Had our ID checked again at the security door, then we went in, took a number and took our seat.

Waited maybe 20 minutes before we were first called up. The lady took all our forms, sent me to pay the fees at another window (TAKE CASH!! - They do accept credit card payments, but not EFTPOS, but they prefer cash), You get 2 receipts - one to go with your forms and one to keep. Handed the first lady the forms receipt (they are marked differently) and we sat back down while she collated all the information.

With regards to our additional trip to the US, I had written the dates/places on a separate piece of paper. She took that too and attached photocopies of it to our application. The paper also had our US address and an additional place we've lived since the May forms. Oh, the US address you give, didn't even think about it, but you have to provide the name of the person who lives there too.

Called up to the same lady about 30 minutes later and were told all was in order, except for the doctor not filling in a section on my medical, so the visa won't be approved today but only because of the extra processing to get that information. Apparently it happens every now and then so she wasn't at all concerned. I was pretty angry, but what can ya do. She took our fingerprints and we sat down again.

Third call up was the actual interview - different window, different employee. We swore an oath to tell the truth, and that all information on the forms we had submitted was true and correct. And then the questions - Why do you want to move to America, Do you know anyone over there (family/friends), How are you related to the woman standing next to you, How did you meet. He went through my hubby's forms, asked if we had the original of our marriage certificate as the first lady had forgotten to stamp the copy. Ask my hubby about a couple of medical conditions he has - how they are control and how easy is the medication to get.

Then my turn - what do you do, was there any problem with your medical. He then told me the doctor had not filled in a section, that it happens and they will follow up with the doctor. It will take an extra week or so for processing, but everything is ok other than that. So, not approved today, but not to worry.

We left about 90 minutes after we arrived.

When we got back to the hotel my husband's phone was ringing - it was the consulate and there was a problem with our fingerprints so could we come back. AGH! Just more to make the story more interesting when we tell our American grandkids! lol. So back we go, through security on the 10th floor. Realised that we'd left our passports at the hotel - we literally grabbed my wallet, his phone and ran! But the security on the 59th floor ushered us straight in - obviously they'd been told we were coming back. The lady on the phone told us to go straight back to our interview window when we got there. We did, waited maybe 10 minutes while our guy finished interviewing someone. He re-took hubby's left hand and my right. And we were out the door again.

Oh, I asked about visa activation time too - our guy told us for DV it's 6 months from the date of your medical.

Pointers for interview - DEFINATELY get there early! A lot of people arrived around 9 and the place heats up with the morning sun. I would hate to imagine what it would be like mid morning.
Take a book
Have your paperwork in order - original then copy, Principle applicants details on top, express post at the bottom
Keep your answers short and be happy. No good can come of being crabby with them
I read on this form about not being able to take plastic folders up with you, but there were a lot of people with those today. Plus one couple with 3 big folders information (but I think they might have been doing a family sponsored visa, not DV).
Yes everyone can hear you because of the screens, but unless you're at the centre windows the waiting people can't hear you.

We had been looking forward to getting that little slip of paper saying you've been approved and to not get that, but still know you're going to get a visa is totally not the same. We both feel very drained and have kinda crashed out for the day.

Hey AmyJ,

Chin up!Am sure you will get positive feedback from the consulate very soon if the issue was just something very minor judging by what you have said it is, something minor.

Atleast you have already done the interview, I think its just a matter of a short time and you get your visas.

Congratulations! I am in a very similar situation to yourself, I am heading to LA in a few weeks to activate my green card, coming back to Oz and then relocating to NYC permanently in August. May I ask a question though of what box you ticked on your outgoing passenger card when you left Australia seeing as you were returning after a few weeks? Was it “Australian resident departing temporarily” or the other option “ Australian resident departing permanently”. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi everyone, just thought I would provide a quick update on my situation - we entered the US a couple of weeks ago and our visa was activated in a pretty easy process. Arrived on Honolulu, went to a separate counter, not the US/PR entry (we had to ask someone where to go). The officer checked our docs, fingerprinted us and we signed for our green cards. As we were coming back to Australia after two weeks in Hawaii, and relocating permanently to NYC in July, he said to hold onto the X-rays and bring them when we re-enter in New York. And then he said "Congratulations, welcome to America!"

Fast forward 1.5 weeks later and our green cards and SSN have already arrived at my friend's address in Florida. Super fast!! Maybe they don't get as many immigrants into Honolulu so the processing is faster? But I'm very impressed!

Congratulations! I am in a very similar situation to yourself, I am heading to LA in a few weeks to activate my green card, coming back to Oz and then relocating to NYC permanently in August. May I ask a question though of what box you ticked on your outgoing passenger card when you left Australia seeing as you were returning after a few weeks? Was it “Australian resident departing temporarily” or the other option “ Australian resident departing permanently”. Any help would be appreciated!

Departing permanently :) let me tell you, it's pretty damn confronting to tick that box!

May 2014 "cut-off" email....

Hi there!!

Apologies in advance if this topic has already been brought up in this forum however this is my first post and first time using this site. I have a low case number in the 900's for the Oceania section of the Diversity Lottery Greencard after receiving my original 'further processing' email at an early stage. I have been sent a Visa Bulletin email showing that the cut off for May will be 1,100 and below. Since i am in the mid-high 900's i am assuming/hoping to be fortunate to receive an interview time.
I got the May cut off email just over two weeks ago yet am yet to receive a further email with a possible interview time in Sydney. Should i just be more patient or start to worry that i may not get an interview date email. :(

Possibly stupid question, but say you go over to the UK but are entered in the Oceania lottery (and Auckland's your local consulate), can you some how organize for another city such as London to become the consulate where you have your interview?

Hi there!!

Apologies in advance if this topic has already been brought up in this forum however this is my first post and first time using this site. I have a low case number in the 900's for the Oceania section of the Diversity Lottery Greencard after receiving my original 'further processing' email at an early stage. I have been sent a Visa Bulletin email showing that the cut off for May will be 1,100 and below. Since i am in the mid-high 900's i am assuming/hoping to be fortunate to receive an interview time.
I got the May cut off email just over two weeks ago yet am yet to receive a further email with a possible interview time in Sydney. Should i just be more patient or start to worry that i may not get an interview date email. :(

This might be a silly question, but you didn't mention it in your post: have you sent all the required paperwork in to KCC since you received your further processing notification email?

If not, it doesn't matter what your case number is - you're not going to get an interview date until your paperwork is processed.

Hi there!!

You should have been scheduled for an interview by now. First thing to do is to check the ESC website (where you saw the you have been selected letter). Your appointment details should be there. If not, call KCC and ask them why you have not been scheduled. When you call you will need your case number, name, dob.

This might be a silly question, but you didn't mention it in your post: have you sent all the required paperwork in to KCC since you received your further processing notification email?

If not, it doesn't matter what your case number is - you're not going to get an interview date until your paperwork is processed.

Lol yes perhaps that should have been my first question....

Hi All,

An update on my situation - and a couple of questions! Any advice is much appreciated!

My partner and I are set to get married on April 24. He has received his 2nd NL for the interview - May 13.
We will collect our marriage certificate on May 2 (cutting it very fine!). Should we post and email this certificate to KCC with the updated forms and passport photo? Or should we be sending these to the consulate? And should we let both/either know that we are due to be married before the fact?

I am also wondering, in relation to the high school diploma - is this just a copy (and originals) of our High School Certificates? Or is there some other certificate equivalent we should be requesting from the Dept of Education? And should we also include our University Degrees AND proof of work experience?

And finally - the interview. My partner is the primary candidate. Will the interview be with him alone? Or with both of us? I ask because I am the breadwinner, and he does not have a very strong income (he does odd jobs, and has regular income, but it is not a 'career' as such). He is an aspiring musician and part of our reason for moving is to afford him more opportunities to grow his skill and peer base in this regard, as well as hopefully broadening his opportunities to perform - so, this is his career, but something tells me that's not necessarily going to convince them to beg him to move to the US based on his career! I work in the film industry and for me to expand my career horizons, it is imperative that I move the US. I wonder if my case number had come up first if this would even be an issue... Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks everyone for all your continuing help! I hope to be able to give back and advise, once we've gone through the process (hopefully successfully)!

Hi All,

An update on my situation - and a couple of questions! Any advice is much appreciated!

My partner and I are set to get married on April 24. He has received his 2nd NL for the interview - May 13.
We will collect our marriage certificate on May 2 (cutting it very fine!). Should we post and email this certificate to KCC with the updated forms and passport photo? Or should we be sending these to the consulate? And should we let both/either know that we are due to be married before the fact?

I am also wondering, in relation to the high school diploma - is this just a copy (and originals) of our High School Certificates? Or is there some other certificate equivalent we should be requesting from the Dept of Education? And should we also include our University Degrees AND proof of work experience?

And finally - the interview. My partner is the primary candidate. Will the interview be with him alone? Or with both of us? I ask because I am the breadwinner, and he does not have a very strong income (he does odd jobs, and has regular income, but it is not a 'career' as such). He is an aspiring musician and part of our reason for moving is to afford him more opportunities to grow his skill and peer base in this regard, as well as hopefully broadening his opportunities to perform - so, this is his career, but something tells me that's not necessarily going to convince them to beg him to move to the US based on his career! I work in the film industry and for me to expand my career horizons, it is imperative that I move the US. I wonder if my case number had come up first if this would even be an issue... Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks everyone for all your continuing help! I hope to be able to give back and advise, once we've gone through the process (hopefully successfully)!

OK seems like there are 3 questions there.

1. The normal advice is to send the marriage cert, and new forms (corrected 122/230 forms for the winner, new 230 form for the new spouse) and photos to KCC as soon as possible after the marriage. In your case, I would do that by email to KCC (because it will be too late for case papers which will have already been sent to the embassy) AND take the forms to the interview. at the embassy. However, some embassies are careful about who shows up at the interview - so it would also be good to contact the embassy and make sure they know that you will be attending the interview also. The fact that you have tried to inform KCC will also be important. Personally I would also phone KCC as well to make sure they process your email as quickly as possible. Basically, cross every T and dot every I.

2. Only the principal needs to show education and that must be US high school equivalent. It doesn't harm to take Uni degrees also, although those are not normally taken into account to qualify for the visa, but may help satisfy the CO that you will be able to make it in the States.

3. THe interview will be with both of you, but the principal winner must qualify in his/her own right. For financial proof (which is not a qualification per se, but can be a reason for denial), your earnings will be taken in to account and your joint assets can be listed to show you can support yourselves.

OK seems like there are 3 questions there.

1. The normal advice is to send the marriage cert, and new forms (corrected 122/230 forms for the winner, new 230 form for the new spouse) and photos to KCC as soon as possible after the marriage. In your case, I would do that by email to KCC (because it will be too late for case papers which will have already been sent to the embassy) AND take the forms to the interview. at the embassy. However, some embassies are careful about who shows up at the interview - so it would also be good to contact the embassy and make sure they know that you will be attending the interview also. The fact that you have tried to inform KCC will also be important. Personally I would also phone KCC as well to make sure they process your email as quickly as possible. Basically, cross every T and dot every I.

My partner and I are in a similar situation. We are getting married on 11/4/14. When I rang KCC last week they said I will find out between 15-30th April about my interview date but it will be sometime in June they said. Married certificates take 4 weeks to arrive so we won't have ours until approx 11/05/14. KCC said that if you already have your interview date then there is no point sending your forms to them. They instructed me to ring the sydney consulate and notify them that I have gotten married and to check whether my partner can be added to the case. Then bring him along to the interview, along with his forms and he will need to have completed his medical too.

I am very interested in hearing how it all works out for you so please keep us all informed! Good luck!!

reneec, are you saying that the lady at KCC told you that you will find out in April that you will be current for June???? If so can you give us an indication of your CN?

My partner and I are in a similar situation. We are getting married on 11/4/14. When I rang KCC last week they said I will find out between 15-30th April about my interview date but it will be sometime in June they said. Married certificates take 4 weeks to arrive so we won't have ours until approx 11/05/14. KCC said that if you already have your interview date then there is no point sending your forms to them. They instructed me to ring the sydney consulate and notify them that I have gotten married and to check whether my partner can be added to the case. Then bring him along to the interview, along with his forms and he will need to have completed his medical too.

I am very interested in hearing how it all works out for you so please keep us all informed! Good luck!!

reneec, are you saying that the lady at KCC told you that you will find out in April that you will be current for June???? If so can you give us an indication of your CN?

Previous post reveal she has a 300 number, but that she only submitted forms a couple of weeks ago. So - the KCC lady was calculating assuming the time it takes to process the forms - and that reneec would be fully ready to be scheduled at the next VB.

Ohhhhhh I see. Got excited for a wee second there lol :D

Previous post reveal she has a 300 number, but that she only submitted forms a couple of weeks ago. So - the KCC lady was calculating assuming the time it takes to process the forms - and that reneec would be fully ready to be scheduled at the next VB.