• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Winners from Srilanka

Hi Farook,

It clarifies well enough. More questions most probably will arise in the coming weeks! I really expect your (help) answer.

Thanks a lot Farook!

Kuna

Hi Pathma,

In terms of Qualification, and as per the New rule, Sri Lankan DV winner must have GCE A/L , but i'm not quite sure on Own business or self employed , will wait for others opinion on the same

Hi I am so glad that I won the DV2014.ASxx2xxxx.but I only got O/L and I run my own business for past 18 years.i work as the GM .is this qualification enough?i am confused checking ONET web site.pls someone answer me I am bit worried.my business is good so far. Thank you.I have lots of assets worth around a million USD

Hi I am so glad that I won the DV2014.ASxx2xxxx.but I only got O/L and I run my own business ......

Is your CN AS-20k or 2k range?

You will be ok with proof of means to overcome public chg aspect, but the basic edu qualifications seems the problem.
After O/L do you have any 1-2 yr 'formal training' on any trade/profession with a cert or diploma? That is the key to satisfy oNet 4/5 categories.
When was your O/L? Were they good for you to do A/L if you wanted to? (w/Math & 1st Language)
If it was when the O/L stds were high, you may want to spend money for the intvw, make a case for it and take your chances.

Up until last year O/Ls were ok, imho it is now meaningless for them to blanket reject it! There should be a 'cut off year' that they need to come up for O/L when they think the stds started deteriorating. They may not do it just for their convenience, which I think is very unfair. I remember reading an Op ed in DN recently by someone who was similarly affected. I think ppl with good 'old' O/Ls need to argue for acceptance. Still, in general, one can come attend US univs. with good SL O/L s.!

Write/canvas the ambassador, canvas with some influential ppl there and outside, write to DoS visa 'advisory op. dept' etc. (don't ask me how? though, I do not know!, but knock and it will be........!!)

Best!

It's 20 K Asia. I did my ols in 22 years ago.studied until 12 the grade but did not sit the exam.Thank you guys and I expect more posts from helpful,people.no I don't have any training.just my talent in business and sales.

You will be ok with proof of means to overcome public chg aspect, but the basic edu qualifications seems the problem.
After O/L do you have any 1-2 yr 'formal training' on any trade/profession with a cert or diploma? That is the key to satisfy oNet 4/5 categories.
When was your O/L? Were they good for you to do A/L if you wanted to? (w/Math & 1st Language)
If it was when the O/L stds were high, you may want to spend money for the intvw, make a case for it and take your chances.

Up until last year O/Ls were ok, imho it is now meaningless for them to blanket reject it! There should be a 'cut off year' that they need to come up for O/L when they think the stds started deteriorating. They may not do it just for their convenience, which I think is very unfair. I remember reading an Op ed in DN recently by someone who was similarly affected. I think ppl with good 'old' O/Ls need to argue for acceptance. Still, in general, one can come attend US univs. with good SL O/L s.!

Write/canvas the ambassador, canvas with some influential ppl there and outside, write to DoS visa 'advisory op. dept' etc. (don't ask me how? though, I do not know!, but knock and it will be........!!)

Best!

It's 20 K Asia. I did my ols in 22 years ago.studied until 12 the grade but did not sit the exam.Thank you guys and I expect more posts from helpful,people.no I don't have any training.just my talent in business and sales.

Another route I'd like to suggest for ppl with O/L s is to get your edu credentials formally evaluated by an 'edu. credentials eval.' svc in US, and present that report at your intvw.

Simply ask them to evaluate your results and to conclude whether 'at that year the certificate was comparable to a US HS diploma' and/or ' was acceptable as minimum/basic reqmt. for entry to a US univ'?

This is the first thing I would do if I were in your shoes.

Best!

They may not do it just for their convenience, which I think is very unfair.

I know a person who got rejected last week since he doesn't have A/ L ( only O/L and qualified ) and he is self employed as a Driver where he couldn't prove his employment correctly.

Regards,
Farook

Best!

Does Principal applicant need to go first?

HI alll,
My wife was won the GC 2013 and got the VISA, what i want know is; it is possible to go myself first to USA without My wife (Principal applicant) after wife and son (Before 30-Sept-2013).

Thank you,
Sanjaya.

Have a Good Day...!!!

HI alll,
My wife was won the GC 2013 and got the VISA, what i want know is; it is possible to go myself first to USA without My wife (Principal applicant) after wife and son (Before 30-Sept-2013)

Generally PA MUST go first or accompany derivatives. I m not sure whether they could make any exceptions to the rule, my guess is not, but ask the embassy to make sure.(they usually say this at visa issue)

Also, since you got visas stamped on your PP now, the Sept. 30th deadline is irrelevant to you. What matters is the expiry date marked on your stamped visas (generally it is 6 mos from visa stamp day), you all need to enter US before that date.

Best!

HI alll,
My wife was won the GC 2013 and got the VISA, what i want know is; it is possible to go myself first to USA without My wife (Principal applicant) after wife and son (Before 30-Sept-2013).

Thank you,
Sanjaya.

Have a Good Day...!!!
No as what I read the principal applicant must go first.Please inform your interview date and case number for others to get ideas.also would like to know interview experience.e
Thnx

No as what I read the principal applicant must go first.Please inform your interview date and case number for others to get ideas.also would like to know interview experience.e
Thnx

Our interview was held on 11-May-2013,case number 2013AS00007***,basic equation was asked like,
1.Married Date
2.Current Occupation
3.Sponsor details
4.A/L exam subject and year

Thank you,
Sanjaya.

Thnx

Thank you fro your kind reply...

One more thing My Sponsor was from CA, but now we like to go NY; is it a problem if we go NY at first time to USA?

Thank you,
Sanjaya.

Hi Sanjaya,

I don't think its possible , and principle applicant must go first or everyone has to travel together.

Thanks
Farook

Visa Denied Seems Unfair

My sister was a DV 2013 winner. At the time of the application in 2011, she was perfectly eligible under the criteria provided in the US State Department website. She had over 15 years of teaching experience and she still teachers. Her Job Zone was 4 and SVP was above 7 according to the ONet. She had done the A/L with one pass. But the visa was denied yesterday (May/28/2013) at the Colombo embassy. The reason given by the officer was that she did not have the correct number of passes in A/L. Note that the State website never mentioned about the number of passes in 2011. Then my sister had told about her work eligibility. In answering that, the visa officer had told something about Onet site, asked my sister to refer to that site, and told her that with her job experience she can not do a job in USA. (or something to that effect. Visa interview had gone very fast, and my sister could not say everything she wanted to support her argument).

Did any of you had such experiences this year? We are very disappointed. We heard from the embassy workers that the criteria changed in Feb/2013 and the decisions are made based on the new rules. I feel that it is unfair to make visa decisions based on new rules that were implemented after the application deadline.

Is there anything my sister could do at this point. Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Cindy

Hi ,

I am really sorry to hear that, but that's how things works , even i know a person who's visa got rejected based on the same criteria , while he applying the eligibility was O/L and he is totally compliance with it, while receiving interview date even the criteria remind the same but suddenly on Feb they changed the Rule and they refused the visa to him. He couldn't prove his experience since he was a self employee working as a Driver...

The worse case here is, the Money , Time , Loss of earning , stress etc..... everything that guy went through, even he lives out of Colombo, he has to travel Colombo for each and every issues like medical, passport etc etc.....

in terms of recovering those losses is very hard for an individual ,i don't understand why embassy don't consider those....

@ your sister issue , does she a Trained Teacher or what short of Educational Qualification she has accordance to Teaching which compliance with international standard , what subject she teaches. and could you give the reference of the link which they gave to her to refer on the site....

Regards,
Farook

My sister was a DV 2013 winner. At the time of the application in 2011, she was perfectly eligible under the criteria provided in the US State Department website. She had over 15 years of teaching experience and she still teachers. Her Job Zone was 4 and SVP was above 7 according to the ONet. She had done the A/L with one pass. But the visa was denied yesterday (May/28/2013) at the Colombo embassy. The reason given by the officer was that she did not have the correct number of passes in A/L. Note that the State website never mentioned about the number of passes in 2011. Then my sister had told about her work eligibility. In answering that, the visa officer had told something about Onet site, asked my sister to refer to that site, and told her that with her job experience she can not do a job in USA. (or something to that effect. Visa interview had gone very fast, and my sister could not say everything she wanted to support her argument).

Did any of you had such experiences this year? We are very disappointed. We heard from the embassy workers that the criteria changed in Feb/2013 and the decisions are made based on the new rules. I feel that it is unfair to make visa decisions based on new rules that were implemented after the application deadline.

Is there anything my sister could do at this point. Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Cindy

My sister was a DV 2013 winner. At the time of the application in 2011, she was perfectly eligible under the criteria provided in the US State Department website. .......

Sorry to hear this. This and the case Farook mentioned are prime examples why it is hard sometimes to convert the DV lottery win to actual DV win! Too bad she thought A/L 1 pass would work, most DV winners need to sit back after the initial excitement and contemplate on the basic 'requirements' to make it a real win, than just walk into the embassy and handover to them on a platter your hard earned money as fees only to get 'reject'!

Qualifying on job basis is very hard. Just walk in and saying you have 'experience' do not count, you have to show 'formal training'. As you can see on ONet most jobs say you have to have a univ. degree. But other formal training can be successful. What was the job code on ONet she was counting? Has she got a formal voc. training or diploma after A/L?

Those who wants to defend there job experience with an ONet code need to go well prepared to with evidence to support requirenents in that job on Onet. Prepare a good 'portfolio' with doc. evidence showing your training and job expierience (letters from work, appt. letters, certs. etc.) Prepare them such that they support the points in 'job requirement' on the ONet.

There was one case in SL in 2011 which was first rejected and then later approved. He had voc. training.
http://forums.immigration.com/showt...om-SRILANKA-Report-here&p=2314890#post2314890.

So, Cindy take a second look and see whether they evaluated the case correct for your sis's job. If not write to them with some more evidence. It 'may' work like what happened to sanjaya in '11.

Best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Denied Visa Help

could you give the reference of the link which they gave to her to refer on the site....
I am not sure what this link is. My sister was given a paper indicating the reason for denial.

About the job category,

This is what I found on ONet for the job category my sister selected:

25-2021.00 - Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
Title Job Zone Four: Considerable Preparation Needed
Education: Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
Related Experience: A considerable amount of work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is needed for these occupations. For example, an accountant must complete four years of college and work for several years in accounting to be considered qualified.

Note that under education, it says that the some jobs do not need a bachelor's degree.

My sister is a trained English teacher (2 year training). She took this certificate with her, but they did not ask for it. She teachers in public schools. She worked as an acting principal for some time too. She is a very capable person. She taught all grades, not only in elementary levels.

I don't understand the embassy's thinking. Should a teacher always be a teacher? With her knowledge and experience, she should be able to do any job. May be she could come here and enroll in a university program and earn a certification. By the way, I am in the US now. To tell the truth, job situation is horrible here. People who can do odd jobs are better off. On the other hand, people who have degrees and formal certificates are the ones struggling.

I have another question. When she applied in 2011, the requirement was O/L. Now they ask for 3 subjects in A/L. Can I go through a lawyer because it is not fair to apply a law that came after the application was made in 2011?

Thanks for your responses!

Cindy

I don't understand the embassy's thinking. Should a teacher always be a teacher? With her knowledge and experience, she should be able to do any job. May be she could come here and enroll in a university program and earn a certification. By the way, I am in the US now. To tell the truth, job situation is horrible here. People who can do odd jobs are better off. On the other hand, people who have degrees and formal certificates are the ones struggling.

Cindy

I'm sorry to read of your sister's dashed hopes. It is indeed unfair to retroactively apply this new A/L requirement to the selectees. However, since you're of the opinion that the job situation in the US is 'horrible', may I ask why you're still going to all this trouble to get her case reconsidered? Isn't she better off with what she has over there job-wise then?

may I ask why you're still going to all this trouble to get her case reconsidered? Isn't she better off with what she has over there job-wise then?

Her husband is well-positioned to work here. Also, we are thinking of the higher education for her child who is eligible to emigrate. He is doing A/L this year.