• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Winners from Srilanka

I am a winner from SL

All 2013 DV Winners from Srilanka Report Here

CN : 2013AS00006XXX
1st NL : May 02, 2012 (Status checked & selected)
Forms Sent : June 21, 2012 (Via DHL)
Forms Received : June 25, 2012 (DHL Confirmed)
2nd NL : March 12, 2013
Medical : ??
Interview : ??
Visa Picked up : ??
POE : ??
GC : ???
SSN : ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ,

Hope you would have received the interview dates already..

CN : 2013AS00006XXX
1st NL : May 02, 2012 (Status checked & selected)
Forms Sent : June 21, 2012 (Via DHL)
Forms Received : June 25, 2012 (DHL Confirmed)
2nd NL : March 12, 2013
Medical : ??
Interview : ??
Visa Picked up : ??
POE : ??
GC : ???
SSN : ???

Questions on O/L

Hi Experts,
I just found my mother-in-law won DV2014. She has only O/L and worked in Government sector for 20+ years and very recently got retire.
What are the roadblocks? She did her O/L 40 years back. And she has visited US on visitor visa before.

Thank you.

Hi Experts,
I just found my mother-in-law won DV2014. She has only O/L and worked in Government sector for 20+ years and very recently got retire.
What are the roadblocks? She did her O/L 40 years back. And she has visited US on visitor visa before.

Thank you.

they don't accept O/L any longer. Now they only accept A/L 3 passes. Only certain occupations qualify for the DV program. To find the occupations that qualify for the DV green card lottery, follow these steps:

1. Go to the Department of Labor O*Net OnLine website.
2. Click on "Find Occupations."
3. Select one of the occupation groupings from the "Job Family" drop-down menu. (If you're unsure which occupation grouping your job falls into, you can select "All Categories" to see the complete list.) Click "Go."
4. Choose one of the occupations from the list and click on its link.
5. Click on the "Job Zone" link.
Does your occupation meet the requirements? It must be designated as Job Zone Four or Job Zone Five with a Specific Vocational Preparation (SVP) range of 7.0 or higher to be eligible for the DV green card lottery.

Source: U.S. Department of State

(http://immigration.about.com/od/faqgreencardlottery/f/Find_GCL_Occupations.htm)

Thanks samlanka.
So it seems it isn't not possible to get visa approved... I'm sooo upset.... After getting this far we just have to close the door. :(

Let me know if I can have any hope....

One more thing, Any chance if she goes AOS?

Its risky 'cos she will be entering with imm. intent. They are usually good at figuring 2+2 math!

Anyways, I don't think that ALL hopes are lost. Up until recently it was O/L (with math & language) the minm. reqmt.
I'm sure they made it A/L now due to the loss of standards in O/L lately and the big exam controversies past cpl yrs.

40 yrs ago the stds. being so high she MAY get a chance if she could explain and CO agrees. Worth taking the risk. Just pay for herself first and ask them to decide (they unusually do not make a hard decision w/o receiving visa fee payment).

Has she got good O/L s with math & language? any other subsequent qualifications?
Was her job after a formal training/qualification? , if so she may fit to one of O-net categories, chk it.

Best!

PS: If I am not mistaken, in any past year O/L 'pass' (w/ math & language) means qualified for A/L s if one wanted to do. Be sure that her results were enough to qualify for enetring A/L s at that time.

Thank you NuvF for the response.
She got 4 credits and 3 passes out of 8 subjects with pass/credit for Maths and Sinhala. We could have done her A/L but she opted not to. That time passing O/L was more than enough (that was the mentality).

She worked as management assistant in many departments in Sri Lanka as part of the government service. I dont know where it fits in O-net.

If she has visitor visa will there be any issue if she comes here and goes through AOS? Will there be any issue at port of entry? AOS make any difference with regard to A/L qualification issue?

.... If she has visitor visa will there be any issue if she comes here and goes through AOS? Will there be any issue at port of entry? AOS make any difference with regard to A/L qualification issue?

General wisdom is that if you send in DS 230 etc you show imm. intent. If she has not done it yet then yes she can enter in the future (you wont loose anything if you send dsp 122 late), BUT then there's the rule 'Stay 90 days before filing i 485' to overcome the 'intent' as well, which I think for a DV case is difficult to prove, unless you prove definitively that you checked online winner status late. (her CN high/low will play with the timing as well. v. risky if high CN).

Yes, USCIS will too have to clarify the 'education' and if it comes to that and they are unsure case MAY drag.
CP at CMB is better for that cos ppl there are knowledgeable on local issues and standards. (they may give you an answer before hand on the issue if you ask now, but I doubt. Even if they give a positive answer now the CO at intvw has the last say)

She will not be able to come 'visit' you here if she fail CP. So you can take a chance do the timing correct and and try AoS.
If you do that I suggest you get 'proper' legal advise as well on all pros/cons.
I honestly think that if the CO get good 'local advise' (from what they call country resource ppl) they should accept older yrs O/L s for DV. But again they may say that they need to be consistent, who knows!! (case may also drag on AP for that)

Hope you will be able to weigh in your options for good.

Best!

PS: Generally, if one fails AoS and if one wants to, you still CAN go back for CP. (not however with some big issues like 3/10 yr bar, there are such exceptions where it is just useless to do). Say AoS decide its A/L s which fail you, you can go back for CP and ask for their opinion as well. Costly but if timing is right you CAN do it before Sept. 30!

Interview Date

CN : 2013AS000096**
1st NL Checked : 1st May 2012
Sent Forms to KCC : 28th May 2012
KCC Confirmation : I phoned and confirmed (Nov 08/2012)
PCC : Going on
Medicals : Not yet
Interview : Current in July 2013
POE : ?

Hi friends,

As per June US Bulletin my number falls in the month of July 2013. How will I be notified for interview? (by e-mail?, phone?). Please help.

Is it okay to go for the medical or do I have to wait until I receive for the interview date notification from the US embassy?

Thanks a lot.

Kuna

PCC : Going on
Medicals : Not yet
Interview : Current in July 2013

Hi friends,

As per June US Bulletin my number falls in the month of July 2013. How will I be notified for interview? (by e-mail?, phone?). Please help.

Is it okay to go for the medical or do I have to wait until I receive for the interview date notification from the US embassy?

Thanks a lot.

Kuna

by e-mail (noreply@state.gov) see the sample letter...
APPLICANT NAME:
You have received this email notification to inform you that you have updates available at http: //www.dvlottery.state.gov/ESC. Please log in using your confirmation number from your original application to complete further processing.

PCC : Done
Medicals : Soon
Interview : 2nd week of July 2013

Hello all,

I am the main applicant since I won the lottery VISA. The question is "Do I have to submit my wife's educational certificates?"
My son is in grade 8. Do I have to take any educational documents for him?
Please clarify.

Thanks.

Kuna

Hi Kuna,

Not necessary, your one is important , they will take only your certification and Police and medical report would be require for your family

Hope i answer the question..
Let me know anything else you require on the same...

Regards,
Farook.

PCC : Done
Medicals : Soon
Interview : 2nd week of July 2013

Hello all,

I am the main applicant since I won the lottery VISA. The question is "Do I have to submit my wife's educational certificates?"
My son is in grade 8. Do I have to take any educational documents for him?
Please clarify.

Thanks.

Kuna