• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

Oh, she had to mail the form off herself on the day she got the fingerprints done, the police station just did it for me. No idea how long the results took because they went straight to the US consulate & we weren't sure if they'd arrived before our interview but on our interview day they were there in our files thankfully.

My dog did really well. We flew him into dallas about 3 weeks ago and yes it was pretty hot even then and they said that they don't really get too many come in through summer.

I used Skypet who were amazing, they totally put up with me being a completely neurotic owner! They also let me have family meet them with him at the airport the morning of the flight instead of making him board with them the night before which was something none of the others would allow.

I also flew him Qantas as my other option was united and when you google their track record that is not even an option.

Lufthansa deals with them on the other end in dallas and they were wonderful. They let me clear him through customs before he even landed which saved us at least 45mins so we were able to get him right away.

We saw his plane land from their office and the driver went right out to get him. He gets put into and a/c van and brought back. The staff at the desk were amazing and knew I wanted him quickly. When we got him we had to cut cable ties off his crate to be able to open it, which is great for extra safety.
He was super excited to be back with us and they have a grassy area so he could relieve himself straight away. He was wet and I'm not sure if that was from his water or a wee but we washed him down straight away.

He fell straight asleep in the car on my lap and was really tired for about a week. He didn't like it when my husband disappeared from his sight for a few days and jumped at loud noises for a few days too but otherwise he is totally back to normal now! His paws totally pick up all the New York street filth tho so having to wash him more!!!

Wow, sounds like your dog had it good! I'm kind of annoyed actually to hear they get the dogs right away and into an a/c van... I mean, it's great! But they've just made us pay an extra $650 on top of our $3065 for 2 dogs. We've also just been told that United wont fly them domestically, only internationally (even though we've already paid the new booking). So now their flights have changed AGAIN. Back to Qantas I'm fairly sure, but Brisbane to Sydney to San Francisco, then they'll stay with an "agent" there for awhile (night and day I think), then fly to Dallas from San Fran the following afternoon..... I'm worried how my dog will go with the stranger. He's not good with strangers, he's leash reactive, has no manners in other peoples homes, and he's allergic to food and basically any food other than his regular food gives him a major upset tummy.... Stressing out now!

4 days I'll be away from him.. He cries when I'm away for a night haha. He'll be over the moon to see me.... That will be the best part. But still, anxious! Glad your dogs enjoying the US! I'm surprised he was tired, maybe dogs get jetlag too? I actually wouldn't mind if my dog was tired after the travels, he's a very high energy dog haha.

I would seriously give Adrienne at Skypet a call. They were amazing at finding me the best possible and shortest about of time solution available. Worth at least a shot maybe. Sounds like far to long for your dog to be in transit, must be a better way. Is there an option to fly into dallas at night instead of the heat of the day?

Good luck!

Wow, sounds like your dog had it good! I'm kind of annoyed actually to hear they get the dogs right away and into an a/c van... I mean, it's great! But they've just made us pay an extra $650 on top of our $3065 for 2 dogs. We've also just been told that United wont fly them domestically, only internationally (even though we've already paid the new booking). So now their flights have changed AGAIN. Back to Qantas I'm fairly sure, but Brisbane to Sydney to San Francisco, then they'll stay with an "agent" there for awhile (night and day I think), then fly to Dallas from San Fran the following afternoon..... I'm worried how my dog will go with the stranger. He's not good with strangers, he's leash reactive, has no manners in other peoples homes, and he's allergic to food and basically any food other than his regular food gives him a major upset tummy.... Stressing out now!

4 days I'll be away from him.. He cries when I'm away for a night haha. He'll be over the moon to see me.... That will be the best part. But still, anxious! Glad your dogs enjoying the US! I'm surprised he was tired, maybe dogs get jetlag too? I actually wouldn't mind if my dog was tired after the travels, he's a very high energy dog haha.

I would seriously give Adrienne at Skypet a call. They were amazing at finding me the best possible and shortest about of time solution available. Worth at least a shot maybe. Sounds like far to long for your dog to be in transit, must be a better way. Is there an option to fly into dallas at night instead of the heat of the day?

Good luck!

We tried the night flight idea but United wouldn't fly them on the domestic leg. It's all booked and paid for now anyways, I'm taking him to my friends place in a few hours because we have to leave home at 7am tomorrow to get to the airport & it's too early to take him to her place then, so he goes tonight :( I won't see him for ages, n'aww. But - I leave tomorrow, so I'm quite excited. Hopefully in the 3 days before he arrives there I can find a car to buy & get him some toys/food & a new bed etc. Not that we have a place to live yet, haha. Just living in the car! :D

Well I'm here! Landed at LAX around 7.30am yesterday, went through US citizens line (cause I was with my step-dad and brother, both US citizens). We went through that bit, the guy told me to head to immigration and my step-dad to go get our bags cause it might be a wait.

I went over to immigration, one lady was having her papers processed, then after she was done, they took my papers told me to take a seat, probably waited about 5 minutes, I was the only person there then. He called me up, handed me back my passport and said have a good day. No welcome to America or anything, but that was it, no questions either.

Now I'm in Dallas, going to go look at a car for me today. Dogs arrive on Wednesday morning now. Their flights changed again... Sigh.

I can't open a bank account without a SSN number can I? I've got my money transferring through OzForex at the moment to my step-dads bank account here so hopefully it gets into his account soon cause I've got $65 cash, that's it haha. Can I call up somewhere and find out my SSN before the card is sent to me?

Well I'm here! Landed at LAX around 7.30am yesterday, went through US citizens line (cause I was with my step-dad and brother, both US citizens). We went through that bit, the guy told me to head to immigration and my step-dad to go get our bags cause it might be a wait.

I went over to immigration, one lady was having her papers processed, then after she was done, they took my papers told me to take a seat, probably waited about 5 minutes, I was the only person there then. He called me up, handed me back my passport and said have a good day. No welcome to America or anything, but that was it, no questions either.

Now I'm in Dallas, going to go look at a car for me today. Dogs arrive on Wednesday morning now. Their flights changed again... Sigh.

I can't open a bank account without a SSN number can I? I've got my money transferring through OzForex at the moment to my step-dads bank account here so hopefully it gets into his account soon cause I've got $65 cash, that's it haha. Can I call up somewhere and find out my SSN before the card is sent to me?

Congrats on the start of your American journey.

Some banks will open an account without an SSN. Wells Fargo for instance will.

The only requirement by the bank is a proof of the stated residential address, SNN number is needed only later when applying for secure credit card

Hey JessJames! Welcome to the US!! So glad you made it okay and let us know about it.

Funny how LAX doesn't roll out the welcome mat for us newbies :( ;). When the border agent finished processing us at the Blaine, Washington crossing, he actually shook our hands, warmly welcomed us to the US and wished us all the best.

We've had a Citibank account for a couple of years, that we opened while on B2s and they didn't need an SSN. I remember having to sign some form for the IRS though, can't remember what it was. But other than that, it was no problem. You could go to the local SSN office with your passport and ask them first, if an SSN is being processed for you (in case you've been missed out, like us), and if so, if they could give you the number. When we went there, and found out that there was no SSN in the works for us, they did give us our numbers the next day.

Keep us posted!

Hey JessJames! Welcome to the US!! So glad you made it okay and let us know about it.

Funny how LAX doesn't roll out the welcome mat for us newbies :( ;). When the border agent finished processing us at the Blaine, Washington crossing, he actually shook our hands, warmly welcomed us to the US and wished us all the best.

We've had a Citibank account for a couple of years, that we opened while on B2s and they didn't need an SSN. I remember having to sign some form for the IRS though, can't remember what it was. But other than that, it was no problem. You could go to the local SSN office with your passport and ask them first, if an SSN is being processed for you (in case you've been missed out, like us), and if so, if they could give you the number. When we went there, and found out that there was no SSN in the works for us, they did give us our numbers the next day.

Keep us posted!

Yeah that's whats made me worried about not getting a SSN - after yours not being 'in the works'. I was thinking about opening with Citibank actually, so perhaps that's an option. There isn't a branch close by though, I'd have to see if my step-dad would be driving out that way for anything else. My money has been transferred and exchanged into his account here, so after the new car gets paid for, I'll need somewhere to bank the remainder of my money out of his account for me to use when I leave.

Not sure where a SSN office is either, I'll have to look it up. My step-dad thinks it's way too soon to even attempt to find out the number.

Interesting first day here. IHOP for breakfast, for some reason some lady assumed I worked there? It was very awkward lol. I was walking out to make a call as she was walking in, and she just said "table for 2" and I was like .... OHHHHHHHH..... :\ haha. I had to explain I didn't work there... I was wearing a grey hoodie as well, not even close to IHOP uniforms.

I've also been told the way I eat is considered "rude" here. Knife & fork in each hand, cut food, eat it. Apparently the American way is to put the knife down, switch hands with the fork, and scoop it up & eat. My step-dad was telling me all morning at IHOP that my way was considered rude, it's the "European way" apparently.... Riiiiiiiight. Haha.

Yeah that's whats made me worried about not getting a SSN - after yours not being 'in the works'. I was thinking about opening with Citibank actually, so perhaps that's an option. There isn't a branch close by though, I'd have to see if my step-dad would be driving out that way for anything else. My money has been transferred and exchanged into his account here, so after the new car gets paid for, I'll need somewhere to bank the remainder of my money out of his account for me to use when I leave.

Not sure where a SSN office is either, I'll have to look it up. My step-dad thinks it's way too soon to even attempt to find out the number.

Interesting first day here. IHOP for breakfast, for some reason some lady assumed I worked there? It was very awkward lol. I was walking out to make a call as she was walking in, and she just said "table for 2" and I was like .... OHHHHHHHH..... :\ haha. I had to explain I didn't work there... I was wearing a grey hoodie as well, not even close to IHOP uniforms.

I've also been told the way I eat is considered "rude" here. Knife & fork in each hand, cut food, eat it. Apparently the American way is to put the knife down, switch hands with the fork, and scoop it up & eat. My step-dad was telling me all morning at IHOP that my way was considered rude, it's the "European way" apparently.... Riiiiiiiight. Haha.

Eating with a knife and fork is the correct way even in America. The only way I can imagine someone thinking that was rude is in a place like IHOP where some redneck thinks you are trying to embarrass him. If you go to a formal dinner with the President for example, he would be eating the European way. If you want to fit in with the rednecks, go ahead and shovel your food in large chucks - and learn to chew with your mouth open while you're at it. ;-)

The reason we went with Citibank is because we needed a bank that was both in Oz and the US so we could do our own transfers when we needed, plus their exchange rates were always very good. So if you don't need to do that, since you've already exchanged your money, just go with a bank that's local. Or a credit union. Check carefully because bank fees in the US seem to be quite bad. Shop around. And they still use cheques (checks) a lot here, which seems strange. No convenient Bpay, unfortunately.

Hmmm, that might be your step-dad's opinion but I disagree it's "rude" or wrong. I apparently eat the "European" way, even though I didn't know it was called that. Neither did I think people noticed or cared. Weird.

Speaking of breakfast here in the US, we love Cracker Barrel. Yummy and reasonable.

Eating with a knife and fork is the correct way even in America. The only way I can imagine someone thinking that was rude is in a place like IHOP where some redneck thinks you are trying to embarrass him. If you go to a formal dinner with the President for example, he would be eating the European way. If you want to fit in with the rednecks, go ahead and shovel your food in large chucks - and learn to chew with your mouth open while you're at it. ;-)

Haha, that's EXACTLY what the situation was :p. Too formal for IHOP. So formal people thought I worked there. Good, I'll keep eating my way. He was trying to make my little brother eat the "American way" and he was struggling to remember to drop his knife haha.

The reason we went with Citibank is because we needed a bank that was both in Oz and the US so we could do our own transfers when we needed, plus their exchange rates were always very good. So if you don't need to do that, since you've already exchanged your money, just go with a bank that's local. Or a credit union. Check carefully because bank fees in the US seem to be quite bad. Shop around. And they still use cheques (checks) a lot here, which seems strange. No convenient Bpay, unfortunately.

I've still got a bit of money in Aus I need to get over here at some point as well but I never got a chance to make a Citibank there. But yeah it was shopping around for prices and stuff that was tough - like Wells Fargo will be free as long as I study then there's a fee after my exchange year, Citibank gives you free account thing as long as your balance stays over $1500. Hadn't looked at too many more cause once I saw Citibank was free basically I just stopped looking haha.

Hmmm, that might be your step-dad's opinion but I disagree it's "rude" or wrong. I apparently eat the "European" way, even though I didn't know it was called that. Neither did I think people noticed or cared. Weird.

Speaking of breakfast here in the US, we love Cracker Barrel. Yummy and reasonable.

Yeah I don't think people notice, no ones ever said anything in all my years coming here haha. Everyone eats differently! Cracker Barrel for breakfast? We went there on our first night here haha. My family loves it. This time being here is a lot more difficult for me cause now I'm gluten free :( ... as well as vegetarian :p haha. Makes food options limited for going out. I want a damn Krispy Kreme & a big soft cinnamon pretzel, oh and some mozzarella sticks. Going to have to learn to make gluten free ones, sigh :(

Actually, I have observed a lot of people eat the way your Step-Dad described. It's common to see people in fancy restaurant cut their food, especially when they're eating steak, put down their knives and switch the forks to their right hands. I always thought it looked funny, but I've always been like, 'hey, whatever floats anybody's float'. I've never observed people give me looks communicating I'm being rude by not switching my fork to my right hand. Having said that though, I think he was taking things to the extreme by trying to apply that to eating pancakes.

+1

Actually, I have observed a lot of people eat the way your Step-Dad described. It's common to see people in fancy restaurant cut their food, especially when they're eating steak, put down their knives and switch the forks to their right hands. I always thought it looked funny, but I've always been like, 'hey, whatever floats anybody's float'. I've never observed people give me looks communicating I'm being rude by not switching my fork to my right hand. Having said that though, I think he was taking things to the extreme by trying to apply that to eating pancakes.

+1

Oh sure - most Americans (by far) eat like that. Either swapping fork with knife, OR cutting everything up in batches or at the beginning of the meal OR even just cutting with the edge of the fork. Some Americans even refuse to let go of the fork and end up with some odd looking manouvre with the knife in the left hand and the fork clenched in their right fist.

We have a term for people that eat that way in the UK - bad mannered children.

;)

Oh sure - most Americans (by far) eat like that. Either swapping fork with knife, OR cutting everything up in batches or at the beginning of the meal OR even just cutting with the edge of the fork. Some Americans even refuse to let go of the fork and end up with some odd looking manouvre with the knife in the left hand and the fork clenched in their right fist.

;)

Haha! I always keep the fork in my right hand... knife with my left, then I guess I just rotate/readjust my fork in my hand after cutting to eating position... So rude of me! Haha. Good ol' Americans. My little brother assumed that after he cut his food with the knife and put it down that he couldn't use it to help scoop onto his fork... So he used his fingers. Fail.

Going to try and open a bank account today I think.

Haha! I always keep the fork in my right hand... knife with my left, then I guess I just rotate/readjust my fork in my hand after cutting to eating position... So rude of me! Haha. Good ol' Americans. My little brother assumed that after he cut his food with the knife and put it down that he couldn't use it to help scoop onto his fork... So he used his fingers. Fail.

Going to try and open a bank account today I think.

Sheesh. Standards have slipped in the colonies obviously...

:p

;)

;)

Oh you stuffy Brits with your prim and proper manners .................. ;):p

Haha! My mum always told me I was a messy eater when I was little - she once tied my hands up behind my back and made me eat outside with the dog because I wouldn't stop slurping and making a mess. It was hilarious.... or maybe it was child abuse? It was spaghetti, so it wasn't easy to eat with no hands! Standards have definitely slipped here haha.

I just spoke to an auto insurance person, they rang about a quote I did last night - half way through the call I was trying to explain I'd just arrived here from Australia, he thought I said I'd had a car accident, finally he understood I was Australian & said "Ohhhh, I thought you just had a cold so I didn't want to say anything... But now I understand it's an accent..". I kind of don't want to talk anymore to Americans if it sounds like I've got a cold..

Haha! My mum always told me I was a messy eater when I was little - she once tied my hands up behind my back and made me eat outside with the dog because I wouldn't stop slurping and making a mess. It was hilarious.... or maybe it was child abuse? It was spaghetti, so it wasn't easy to eat with no hands! Standards have definitely slipped here haha.

I just spoke to an auto insurance person, they rang about a quote I did last night - half way through the call I was trying to explain I'd just arrived here from Australia, he thought I said I'd had a car accident, finally he understood I was Australian & said "Ohhhh, I thought you just had a cold so I didn't want to say anything... But now I understand it's an accent..". I kind of don't want to talk anymore to Americans if it sounds like I've got a cold..

Yeah, pretty sure you just described child abuse!

Yanks get very confused with non American accents. I'd often notice the deer in the headlights look on people when I started talking with them - they are so thrown by the accent that they then can't mentally accept that the person is (in our cases) talking in English. Most often misheard word - for me it is water. Bloody "water" - how hard is that?? I pronounce it "war-ter" but Yanks won't give me any unless I say "wat-ter" without pronouncing either T and with a Texan accent. I often order diet Coke just to avoid the scene....