• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

On another note, my official green card came in the mail today, only two and a half weeks after arriving in the States! I also received another letter, something about the USCIS fee, but that letter doesn't make too much sense, and I definitely paid the fee - has anyone else gotten this letter?

The card is very fancy though, and has about ten different things on it to stop people from forging it. It's getting tucked away in my safe drawer along with my social security card.

Pretty efficient, about getting your official GC already! Maybe we'll get ours soon too. Did our POE last week and we're on the road. In Arizona now. Heading east.

We paid our fee already but I think I read about someone else getting such a letter too. Perhaps they're still sorting things out with that USCIS fee.

Funny, but when we said we were moving to Canada a few years ago, there was more positive attitude and support. Canada - good. USA - not so good. Not sure why. After going back to Canada for a year, we realized it's over-rated and over-priced, with crap weather and ridiculous taxes (and a medical system that is viewed far too positively). It wasn't all bad, but it's certainly not the Nirvana many people seem to believe it is.

We know the US won't be all rainbows and butterflies. We certainly didn't go into this with a starry-eyed, Hollywood-ish view. But we've been here enough times before to know that we really, really like the country and its people, and that it has a lot to offer. It's very good value.

All the best to everyone.

Yeah, when I first moved to Canada everyone was happy and excited for me too, but now that it's the US, it's apparently a big "no-no". Just the bad reputation I guess..

I'm with all of you. I've had my fair share of negativity, but my response is that *I* love it, and it's the right choice for me. I don't care what others do or think - I just stay positive for myself, because as you said Jess, the only opinion that matters is your own.

You know the bonus though? Once you're there, you won't encounter so much negativity. Probably a lot of surprise about leaving "beautiful Australia," but Americans love America. They'll be glad you love it too.

Haha I'm sure Americans will be all "You've come to the good side!" haha. But yeah, once I'm there it'll be easier..

I've been going to the States for a few years now for the summer, and I've had my fair share of the negative comments. It really, really irritates me, and I usually just do the 'Don't knock it til you try it' comment, considering most of the people commenting haven't been. And if they have, then it depends where they go - did they stick to the main tourist traps, or actually see the country and get to know locals?

On another note, my official green card came in the mail today, only two and a half weeks after arriving in the States! I also received another letter, something about the USCIS fee, but that letter doesn't make too much sense, and I definitely paid the fee - has anyone else gotten this letter?

The card is very fancy though, and has about ten different things on it to stop people from forging it. It's getting tucked away in my safe drawer along with my social security card.

Yeah, I tell them to go see it too. But, some do, and still hate it... Then tell me I'm crazy.. Ah well. Glad I have this group of fellow crazy people doing the same thing! :p

Nice on the quick green card! Tucked away? I thought we had to carry it on us at all times? Haha.

Just thought I'd check in and say hi, see how everyone is going? Curious to know how you're all feeling at the different stages of moving, and if things are working out the way you hoped?

I've been researching and planning my own move for next year, although it will be a non-immigrant visa at this stage. I'm hoping to bring my timeline forward by a couple of months, depending on how much money I can save between now and then. Aiming for a March/early April move, rather than late May. It doesn't seem like much, but for my sanity and impatience, it will be worth it.

Hey Nicole! Nice to hear from you again - all the very best for your own move! We're enjoying Florida - love the heat! I sure missed that during the past year in Canada. Hubby decided he didn't miss Canada so much after enduring a typical cold, wet, grey and long winter (which is still going on there, according to friends). Not to mention the high cost of living and all the taxes.

Got our lovely Green Cards in the mail last week, almost 3 weeks after our POE. We waited a couple more days for our SSNs but they were a no-show. So we went to the local SSN office and they looked into it. They could not find any applications for SSNs for us, despite me ticking the appropriate boxes on the DS-230, so they got that going. We should get our cards in a couple of weeks, though they gave us letters with our numbers right away.

We also got a few I-797C, Notice of Actions, which was confusing. Got two one day, one was a "Receipt Notice, Fee Previously Collected", and the other was a "Receipt Notice, Fee in Suspense". Then a couple days later we got two more that are duplicate "Welcome Notices". Lots of paper!

We've been very busy unpacking and taking care of all the many things you have to do when you move. We'll need to register the car next, get car insurance and licenses soon too.

All in all, we're glad we took this big step. Hope it's working out for everyone else too.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might seem like an odd question but do any of you guys keep blogs or some other kind of online presence? I love to read about people's day to day lives after they've made the move, especially the early (exciting) days

Hey Nicole! Nice to hear from you again - all the very best for your own move! We're enjoying Florida - love the heat! I sure missed that during the past year in Canada. Hubby decided he didn't miss Canada so much after enduring a typical cold, wet, grey and long winter (which is still going on there, according to friends). Not to mention the high cost of living and all the taxes.

Got our lovely Green Cards in the mail last week, almost 3 weeks after our POE. We waited a couple more days for our SSNs but they were a no-show. So we went to the local SSN office and they looked into it. They could not find any applications for SSNs for us, despite me ticking the appropriate boxes on the DS-230, so they got that going. We should get our cards in a couple of weeks, though they gave us letters with our numbers right away.

We also got a few I-797C, Notice of Actions, which was confusing. Got two one day, one was a "Receipt Notice, Fee Previously Collected", and the other was a "Receipt Notice, Fee in Suspense". Then a couple days later we got two more that are duplicate "Welcome Notices". Lots of paper!

We've been very busy unpacking and taking care of all the many things you have to do when you move. We'll need to register the car next, get car insurance and licenses soon too.

All in all, we're glad we took this big step. Hope it's working out for everyone else too.

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourselves already!

This worries me a little with the time to get the GC sent to you & your no-show SSN. The SSN is needed to open a bank account, no? And for car insurance. And I'm sure to rent a house as well. I don't have the time to wait for it... But if they gave you the numbers instantly that's a plus side I guess... My issue though is either way, I'll be leaving my family around the 2-3 week mark after arriving and heading up to Nebraska on my own, with no address yet. So my GC and SSN would get sent to where my parents are... I don't know if it's something I'd trust re-sending in the mail? But I guess there's no choice! I'll need it. My parents are shipping stuff over as well & I've added some things into the mix. Unfortunately that will also arrive once I've already left to NE, so again I'll miss out on my stuff until I next get a chance to drive down to the family.. Probably not this year. Bit annoyed... But what can you do! 4.5 weeks until I head off! Cannot wait! Still struggling to sell my car here though haha.

This worries me a little with the time to get the GC sent to you & your no-show SSN. The SSN is needed to open a bank account, no?

A year and a half ago, when we were in San Diego for 5 months, we opened a bank account without an SSN. At Citibank.

The SSN being a no-show was probably pretty unusual. I've read other people's experiences on here and most got both GC and SSN, with no delay or problem - within 3 weeks. I only remember reading one other case where they didn't get either. I would wait 3 weeks after your POE before worrying. Then if either haven't shown up, give them a ring. Maybe ring them earlier - around the 2.5 week mark, just to make sure.

And for car insurance.

We got car insurance from Farmer's, in San Diego, when we bought our car there, without an SSN. Some will do it, you just have to find the ones that do. I think Progressive will also insure without an SSN but I find their rates high. And their ads, with that overly perky woman, annoying. :) But I'm sure you'll have your SSN, either the card, or the number, so don't worry about it.

And I'm sure to rent a house as well. I don't have the time to wait for it... But if they gave you the numbers instantly that's a plus side I guess... My issue though is either way, I'll be leaving my family around the 2-3 week mark after arriving and heading up to Nebraska on my own, with no address yet. So my GC and SSN would get sent to where my parents are... I don't know if it's something I'd trust re-sending in the mail?

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd have my GC sent through the mail. I'd use FedEx. And track it.

But I guess there's no choice! I'll need it. My parents are shipping stuff over as well & I've added some things into the mix. Unfortunately that will also arrive once I've already left to NE, so again I'll miss out on my stuff until I next get a chance to drive down to the family.. Probably not this year. Bit annoyed... But what can you do! 4.5 weeks until I head off! Cannot wait! Still struggling to sell my car here though haha.

About your stuff not being there in time - Craigslist will be your friend! It's certainly been ours. We've picked up some great stuff. Download an app for it, enter in what you're looking for, and it'll notify you when something comes up. Also, don't feel too posh to hit the thrift shops either. I picked up a great set of plates there the other day. $1 each but they're really nice plates, worth at least $8 each new. And there's always WallyMart, Marshall's, Home Goods, Big Lots. Garage sales too. I love bargains.

A year and a half ago, when we were in San Diego for 5 months, we opened a bank account without an SSN. At Citibank.

The SSN being a no-show was probably pretty unusual. I've read other people's experiences on here and most got both GC and SSN, with no delay or problem - within 3 weeks. I only remember reading one other case where they didn't get either. I would wait 3 weeks after your POE before worrying. Then if either haven't shown up, give them a ring. Maybe ring them earlier - around the 2.5 week mark, just to make sure.

We got car insurance from Farmer's, in San Diego, when we bought our car there, without an SSN. Some will do it, you just have to find the ones that do. I think Progressive will also insure without an SSN but I find their rates high. And their ads, with that overly perky woman, annoying. :) But I'm sure you'll have your SSN, either the card, or the number, so don't worry about it.

I'm finding ALL the car insurance quotes very, very high. Maybe it's because I'm under 25 and will have only "just gotten" my US license. Either way, I don't like the prices for insurance! I've read quite a few posts lately people have opened bank accounts without SSN just need passport and to be on US soil, so that's good. Planning to use ozforex I think and send a heap of money over once I have somewhere to send it.

About your stuff not being there in time - Craigslist will be your friend! It's certainly been ours. We've picked up some great stuff. Download an app for it, enter in what you're looking for, and it'll notify you when something comes up. Also, don't feel too posh to hit the thrift shops either. I picked up a great set of plates there the other day. $1 each but they're really nice plates, worth at least $8 each new. And there's always WallyMart, Marshall's, Home Goods, Big Lots. Garage sales too. I love bargains.

Oh, I don't have "needed stuff" that's being shipped, furniture wise and bits and pieces I'll definitely be finding on Craigslist & thrift shops/garage sales! The stuff coming over in shipping is other things like xbox, my drum cymbals, unicycles... and my rubber band ball. Haha. Stuff that's irreplaceable, or not worth selling to buy a new one etc. I won't "need" any of it urgently, just like to have it! I will miss my xbox though until I get it haha. I love bargains too. I'm very cheap, I refuse to buy something at a store if I know I can find it elsewhere/online cheaper. Plus I like finding extreme bargains at thrift stores and stuff... I got a 1TB hard drive at an op shop here for $5! It had no cords & I asked them at the counter if it had cords, if not I'll still be taking it either way, bargain & they said "oh, is this a good price for this?" I'm like of course!! They had no idea what it even was...... hahaha

Glad to hear everything is going well, Vichel!

Jess, have you tried getting a quote from AAA for car insurance? They were the cheapest by far, I'm talking at least $200-300 cheaper than all others.

I've had a SSN for years, since my first time living/working there, but I remember waiting weeks for one to arrive automatically, and ended up just having to go down to the office and apply in person. I was also given the number on the spot, but had to wait for the card in the mail. The good thing is no one ever asks for the actual card. As long as you know your number, then you'll be fine. So I'd just say make that priority 1 when you arrive. And hit the office first thing in the morning so you don't sit around waiting for hours.

Maybe you could get your parents to forward it to you by registered mail, so that it's tracked and you can sign for it. That would keep it safer than regular mail.

I'm a huge fan of op shops! Glad to find others that feel the same way. Part of my excitement of moving back to LA is the chance to furnish my apartment with unique pieces that don't break the budget.

Hey there, we are DV2014EU winners and will have to request AU Police checks as we lived in AU for many years until recently. Can anyone tell me from experience how long it will take from requesting these checks via their online site until receiving them in the mail overseas in the EU? I suppose we won't need any finger printing for such a simple check, right? I am slightly confused that some people seem to have had fingerprints taken for the purpose of the DV visa process.

Hey there, we are DV2014EU winners and will have to request AU Police checks as we lived in AU for many years until recently. Can anyone tell me from experience how long it will take from requesting these checks via their online site until receiving them in the mail overseas in the EU? I suppose we won't need any finger printing for such a simple check, right? I am slightly confused that some people seem to have had fingerprints taken for the purpose of the DV visa process.

Hi, congrats!

I'm an Aussie who was living in Canada at the time of needing to arrange my police check. We rang the AFP (Aus Federal Police) and asked them how to get an Australian police check done from overseas. They told us we need to get ink prints, download the forms online, and mail the whole lot to Australia. You can't do it online when you're not in Australia and you need a report that includes a fingerprint check.

We used Express Post so we could track it. Even though their website said they were experiencing a backlog and it could take over a month, ours were done in about 2 weeks. They emailed us to tell us that they had completed the check and were mailing us the reports shortly. About 3 weeks later, we had the reports in the mail, so they were actually quite efficient.

...how to get an Australian police check done from overseas. They told us we need to get ink prints, download the forms online, and mail the whole lot to Australia. You can't do it online when you're not in Australia and you need a report that includes a fingerprint check.

Oh, thanks Vichel for the info - much appreciated!! So they DO require the lot...(bugger)...that is important to know! It will mean the cost is going to be triple (not $42 but $99 plus the cost of getting fingerprints done locally in the EU (all that times 2x for me and my wife, so about $300 all up just for the AU police checks alone - how insane!

Last edited by a moderator:
DV 2014winner

Hi All,

Just read through the whole forum. And i crossing all my fingers i get an interview but my CN is quite high 30xx.
I want know what it was like to find an apartment and a job? If we do get the GC we are wanting to go to NY.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Glad to hear everything is going well, Vichel!

Jess, have you tried getting a quote from AAA for car insurance? They were the cheapest by far, I'm talking at least $200-300 cheaper than all others.

I've had a SSN for years, since my first time living/working there, but I remember waiting weeks for one to arrive automatically, and ended up just having to go down to the office and apply in person. I was also given the number on the spot, but had to wait for the card in the mail. The good thing is no one ever asks for the actual card. As long as you know your number, then you'll be fine. So I'd just say make that priority 1 when you arrive. And hit the office first thing in the morning so you don't sit around waiting for hours.

Maybe you could get your parents to forward it to you by registered mail, so that it's tracked and you can sign for it. That would keep it safer than regular mail.

I'm a huge fan of op shops! Glad to find others that feel the same way. Part of my excitement of moving back to LA is the chance to furnish my apartment with unique pieces that don't break the budget.

I can't get a quote with AAA yet, it won't allow me on the site as I'm out of country... Pretty annoying. I'm sure I could do that thing where your computer hides where it's from or whatever.. But that's a lot of effort. I'll find an AAA quote once I arrive though!

So you suggest going straight to the SSN office place once I arrive, rather than waiting and seeing if we get one in the mail? My parents aren't even sure they saw an option on the forms for one, so we may not have even ticked anything...

Haha, can't wait for all the garage sales & op shops! I've had to try really hard to not go look at them all here, my bags are already crammed enough as it is. I don't need anymore stuff until I land! Haha.

Oh, and LA. I keep mind-blanking that I'm planning to move out there too after my year exchange in Nebraska. I can't really spend too much on furnishings & little things in Nebraska cause I won't be able to get it all to LA... Basically whatever I can cram into my car can come with me! Haha.

Hi 2013 winners,

I am hoping someone who has been successful in the interview process could assist me with a question I have in relation to the police check.

just want to check when you applied for the certificate, if you selected #35 in section 8

https://afpnationalpolicechecks.converga.com.au/static/images/afp/npc_offline_form.pdf

The reason I ask is that #35 is only unspent convictions and I thought perhaps the consulate would require all convictions to be noted.

I spoke with the AFP and they said #35 is correct as #33 is ONLY for people immigrating to Australia.

just want to make sure I am getting the correct certificate.

Thank you!

Hi 2013 winners,

I am hoping someone who has been successful in the interview process could assist me with a question I have in relation to the police check.

just want to check when you applied for the certificate, if you selected #35 in section 8

https://afpnationalpolicechecks.converga.com.au/static/images/afp/npc_offline_form.pdf

The reason I ask is that #35 is only unspent convictions and I thought perhaps the consulate would require all convictions to be noted.

I spoke with the AFP and they said #35 is correct as #33 is ONLY for people immigrating to Australia.

just want to make sure I am getting the correct certificate.

Thank you!

I took a look at the copy of mine and I had checked #35.

Good luck!