2012 February N-400 Tracker

Updated, FP done 3/15

In and out of the DO in Detroit in about 15 minutes. Nice new building, only a handful of applicants there at 9:45am.

I did a walk-in this morning guys, sadly on my 34th day - am running so behind:eek:
There was no problem doing walk-in, the staff were bored and were happy to see a human and not having to stare the walls.

No sign of interview after almost 1 month of walk-in FP

Still waiting and waiting for my status to be changed to interview...

Waiting for supporting documents

My interview was this past April 30th. I was called in almos 2 hrs. past my appointment time and yes they were the two longest hours. Once I got called in everything was soooo fast that I just felt like catching up with the IO. There was no conversation, no a greeting, nothing. We wen't straight to the room where I was interviewed, went straight to the oath and right away to the test. I answered the first 6 questions correctly and moved on to reading and writing a sentence. After that he pulled out my application and we went over it. Again, everything was too fast. The whole interview took about 7 min. At the end he went back to my application since I've been separated and not legally divorced, he asked for supporting documents to confirm that I provide child support for my kids. He mentioned that a letter from my ex and notarized would do the job. He gave me a sheet with instructions and gave me a month to provide the documents. I mailed the letter last week and they received it yesterday (05/07/12). Know I need to wait... I wonder how long before they review the letter and my case and give me a status update.

01/30/12: N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ with Fedex (1 day)
02/01/12: N-400 delivered (3 Days)
02/07/12: Check cashed (9 Days)
02/09/12: NOA recvd (11 Days)
02/14/12: Status as of this date is in "Initial Review" (16 days)
02/14/12: FP notice mailed (16 days)
02/16/12: FP notice recvd (18 days)
02/22/12: FP done (24 days)
02/28/12: Online Status changed to "Testing and Interview" (30 days)
03/21/12: Online Status changed to "Schedule for interview" (52 days)
03/29/12: IL and YL recvd (60 days)
04/30/12: Interview (92 days)
04/30/12: Request for evidence letter Sent. Online Status is in "Review"
05/08/12: Online Status still in "Review" - (100 days)
xx/xx/12: Oath
xx/xx/12: PP application
xx/xx/12: PP received

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting and waiting for my status to be changed to interview...

As far as I understood, it is very unlikely that your interview would be scheduled before your 5-year anniversary. I was advised that even if this happened, your status would be automatically RFE until the GC anniversary. So it is pointless to wait and worry till approximately day when you got your GC.

So if I understand correctly, after doing fingerprinting, one first gets:

online status change to: Testing and Interview.
(But that alone doesn't mean that they have sent an Interview letter). Following that status change, you'll get another status change saying:
'Schedule for Interview', and then the letter will get mailed?

Duh, thats too much wait :)

Just received a txt message saying that my application has now been schedule for interview and should receive the letter in 14 days or less!! This is exciting, it took a bit longer than other people but I wasn't too worried since I did see thier FP office really really busy. Now just waiting for the letter with the date and study for the civics test :)

Good luck everyone.

xx/xx/12: IL recvd
xx/xx/12: Interview

Hey Browngirl, you didn't update your signature, hope all is well.

I had wrote my check but forgot to put it in the envelope when mailing my N400 application. I didn't realize that the check was still in my checkbook as I rarely write checks. When I called INS on 3/16/12 after not receiving my receipt notice the worker advised me that my application was rejected due to incorrect fee and that my package was returned to me on 2/23/12. I then checked my checkbook and realized the check was still there. I only received by packet in the mail on 3/21/12. Funny thing was the packet came with a green paper advising me to place on top of my application as this green page would flag my application to receive special attention when it is re-processed.

I re-mailed packet with check this weekend so I guess I will be joining the March thread.

Yellow letter

By the way, what is YL? Is this RFE letter? Is this the same as interview letter? Why do they ask for driver's license in many cases of YL? What else could be asked in YL?

By the way, what is YL? Is this RFE letter? Is this the same as interview letter? Why do they ask for driver's license in many cases of YL? What else could be asked in YL?

YL is "Yellow Letter", which is literally a yellow piece of paper sent to you by USCIS. It is not the interview letter nor is it RFE (Request for Evidence). The YL is sent sometime after fingerprinting and before the interview. It lists items that you are required to bring to the interview, but it is automatically generated based on the answers you gave in your application. Since I did not list any traffic tickets or citations, the YL did not say I needed to bring proof of those being paid. I do not know all the possible things that YL could ask for.

It's a good idea to bring additional documentation to support the answers you gave in your application. This has been discussed to death in the sticky thread at the top of this forum, and elsewhere.

Updates

So if I understand correctly, after doing fingerprinting, one first gets:

online status change to: Testing and Interview.
(But that alone doesn't mean that they have sent an Interview letter). Following that status change, you'll get another status change saying:
'Schedule for Interview', and then the letter will get mailed?

Duh, thats too much wait :)

Hi Litmu,

That is correct. I guess after they receive your fingerprints then you go to the queue so that they schedule you for an interview, at this step you'll get an update. Once you've waited in-line for an interview and they have finally set a date for your interview than your status get's updated to "Scheduled for interview" which means that now there is a date scheduled for your interview and I guess it would be nice that they'd tell you what that date is on your txt/e-mail notification. however you have to wait for the letter. This last update mentions that you should be receiving the letter in no more than 14 days (I suppose due to mail delivery time frames). I received my update I believe last Thursday so I'm expecting a letter between today and tomorrow in the mail.

I know it's a long wait but in a way in my case it looks like it will take less than 5 months for the whole process.... that's fine with me :)

Good luck!!!

I Still haven't received a YL yet.... Does anybody know if everyone gets a YL? I know you can receive a YL at any time during your process, but does everyone get one?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I went to the FP office today. I got there and the place was empty. The guys that work there were talking to each other as they had nothing to do.

I gave my GC and driver's license to the officer and she gave me a sheet to fill out with some personal info i.e., name, height, eye color, hair color, citizenship.

When I finished with the sheet, I gave it to another lady that gave it to the officer who actually takes the FPs. She was very courteous and nice, we were done in less than 5 minutes.

No questions asked, no problems whatsoever. I guess if the office were full and they were really busy, then they would ask you why you went that day when your appointment says another date.

Great experience, now, wait and then wait some more. Halfway done already!! :D

Hi Infastocawn,
You are moving quite fast....
DO you mind sharing your GC aniversary date please?

Thanks and good luck!

Hi Infastocawn,
You are moving quite fast....
DO you mind sharing your GC aniversary date please?

Thanks and good luck!

Hello Kshitij,

I received my GC Jan 28, 2008. It is because I married a USC so I could have applied for Citizenship 2 years and 9 months after that, so basically November 2010 but I didn't do it until now. I was not in a real hurry but now I wish I had done it before. Anyway, 13 more days to the interview. I have to start reading the questions. I haven't even opened the booklet they send you. :p

Good luck!

FP Done on 3/29/2012

In and out in about 30 mins but I saw atleast 5-6 citizenship applicants going through
fingerprinting, looks like Detroit DO has slowed in recent months.

Received YL and IL!

Online status changed to "Now scheduled for interview"
Yesterday I received the YL and IL. I've been studying so should be good for my interview which has been set for April 30th.

03/29/12: IL and YL recvd (60 days)
04/30/12: Interview (92 days)

My son has got YL, but I have not.

YL is "Yellow Letter", which is literally a yellow piece of paper sent to you by USCIS. It is not the interview letter nor is it RFE (Request for Evidence). The YL is sent sometime after fingerprinting and before the interview. It lists items that you are required to bring to the interview, but it is automatically generated based on the answers you gave in your application. Since I did not list any traffic tickets or citations, the YL did not say I needed to bring proof of those being paid. I do not know all the possible things that YL could ask for.

It's a good idea to bring additional documentation to support the answers you gave in your application. This has been discussed to death in the sticky thread at the top of this forum, and elsewhere.

Thanks for explanation. Indeed, today my son got his YL requesting to bring his Driver's License or State I.D. with him to the interview. I guess this is a good sign that at least his case is moving on. However, his status online in USCIS Case Tracking is still "Initial review", the same as mine. We submitted documents together, we have the same priority date. He got his GC as my dependent on May 02, 2007, the same day as I did. I guess they asked to bring his documents because they do not have a special file for him - when we got GCs, he was a minor, and did not have any Driver's License at that time.

However, I have not received any YL yet. Does this mean that my FP and namecheck have not been processed yet? I read on this forum that not everyone gets YLs. In what kind of cases they do not send YLs?