2011 March N-400 Tracker

I received my Oath letter for 6/30 ceremony at the LA Convention Center. I received a SMS on 6/9, and I received the letter in the mail today. The only inconvenience is that my wife's oath ceremony is at 8:30 am and mine is at 12:30 pm. A small inconvenience I can endure for 1 day !

Folks,

I passed the interview today but next week is my 5th year aniversary. The IO told me that I have to wait for another week to get approved letter because they made a mistake scheduling my interview too soon. Schedule for the Oath ceremony will be mailed soon too. Do you folks know how often they hold the oath ceremony? Once every week or every month?

Thanks

March 23 2011: Mail N-400 + GC copy + $680 check + 2 photos to Phoenix lockbox.
March 29 2011: NOA (via email and text)
April 13 2011 : FP notice mailed (Online status)
April 15th 2011 : FP letter received (May 9th 2011 is the FP appointment date)
April 19th 2011: Walk-in FP done in San Jose ASC
May 9th 2011 : Online status changed to "Testing and Interview"
June 13th 2011: Interview--> Passed

So many congrats, so I will just say one big congrats to everyone who passed. Lucky you guys, we are still waiting. Sigh.

here is my citizenship interview experience
it was scheduled today at 11;30 at 11:40 a nice officer called my name and The first thing he asked for was my green card, passport and social security card . and then he started the civic and English test ,after that he went through n400 form
he didnt ask me for tax form or anything
at the end told me that I had passed and if i want to go to oath ceremony next friday and said yes
the interview was very simple and short it took me like 15 min
so everybody just be calm and good luck,

Hey guys just got back from my interview... pretty straight forward... passed everything.. BUT IO told me that they are still waiting for one of the background tests that they haven't received yet so legally she can't make a decision yet but it should not take more than a couple of days and I should get the decision letter in mail by next week.... Could you please input your thoughts what that could mean. Background tests were done after finger printing... What kind of test this could be. She also said that it is one of the quick background tests and should not take more than couple days?? I am not worried because I know there should be nothing in the background that I don't know of and haven't told them.... So any guesses are welcome. Thanks.

ok... unfortunately i didn't have a good experience with my interview.
its a long story but ill try to make it short:

i got my GC in 06 (my husband is a us citizen).
during the years, i had to leave the us for 10.5 month (for medical reasons) and i make sure before i left to get the travel permit. and they gave me the permit that basically allow me to leave for 2 years.
even though i had it for 2 years, i came back after 10.5 month for 2-3 weeks and then left again for less then 6 month.
after those 2 trips i came back (i did had other short trips ).
i filed for the 5 years of having GC. and out of the 5 years, even with all the time out side i have over 3 years inside the us.
my attorney told me that they can't hold the time i was out side (the long trip) "against me" as they gave me the permission to leave with the permit. he also said, if it was more then a year then i stop the count but if its 6 month and up (as long as its less then a year) a person should have ask for the permit, which i did.

anyway, i filed for the naturalization on march and my interview was 2 days ago
in the interview the officer was not nice at all, and after 2 min he got to the page with all the exits and start ask right a way why did i leave so many times and why so long. i explained him and he start saying the i broke the time for the naturalization.
i was surprised and start tell him, but i got the permit and showed him. he didn't care.
then he asked what happened during that time, and i told him we kept our apartment and i showed him a lease i had.
he didn't even look at it. i aslo said i filed taxes for that year... i had the tax transcript with me and he didnt even ask to see it.
he continue to ask me lots of other questions, and a lot of them where about my husband (i don't know why, as i filed for the 5 years).
after couple of minutes, and a page he asked me to fill in and sign about that time during that year, he continue with the test which i passed.

at the end, he told me i will need to send some documents and gave me a form stating i passed the test, but i have a month to send documents to show i was resident in the us from 2006!!!
then, he added another marked so i will send also doc's about the marriage ?!?! then i asked why? as i filed for the 5 years... and he said that he is trying to help me coz maybe it will be easier for me to get it by the marriage.
my attorney said its not true and after u file for 1 thing, u cant go back and file for something else.

i asked him what exactly is he asking for and then i told him i have alot of it with me. he didn't even want to look and just say send it all organized.

by the way, i filed tax for all years!

since all of our stuff was thrown to the garbage while our landlord renovated the place so i dont have all the proofs from few years back, i had to call my bank and ask for all my statements back, as well from all credit cards... i have the lease, i have tax returns, i have the passport and letter from my previous employer. what else ?!

so he didn't gave me a denial but he said they cant get a decision and to send the documents.

do you know if that is just a trick or what is going on?!
do you guys know of any situation that after submitting the doc's that someone actually got approved?

should i worry? i am actually and very disappointed!

and another question, when submitting the application, i mention the trips and send copy of the permit they gave me as well. this important detail was in the application so if the law is the way the officer said, how come the USCIS process my application, deposit the check and let me continue with the process?! they should review it and make sure you qualify to continue no?!
if that the law, and I'm "not qualified" yet , they should have told me that in march when i submitted the application.

i would love to hear from any one who is familiar or know of any situation like mine (or similar). or if you have any suggestions for me here...

thank you all...

Hi Newway,

Sorry to hear that your experience is not pleasant. Can I ask you a question? Did you get your green card through your mariage or not. If your green card is through mariage, are you and your husband still married? I was married to a US citizen and my green card was from my company (H1B). I divorced a few years back. In the Interview they did not even ask me about my past mariage. I think the fact that you stayed out side the US even though less than a year but 6 months ore more is kinda fishy to them to think that your mariage is not genuine. Again, if you were getting your greeen card through different path than your mariage, I don't think you should worry about it. They will finally approve your case. it's my 2 cents.

Hi Taihong,

yes i got my gc through marriage and we actually still married. (the end of the month its 6 years)

being a way doesn't really mean our marriage in not genuine specially when it come to taking care of very close family member. i also don't think that if a couple don't live together for few month it mean they not really married. life though at us so many things and being married is about going though them and still fight to be together.
now its actually his family that need him to help and i accept that.... that's life.

that my "i believe" about marriage :)

i hope you right about the fact they will approve my case i really hope so. i feel it really not fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neway, I'm very sorry. Send all the documents you have, you will be fine. You just got a pissed of IO. Send it as soon as you can okay? Good Luck.

thanks vimarket!!

I'm working on getting documents back from 2006!!! such a headach...

i called my bank and credit cards and asked for all my statements from then. it will take 14 days to get it...

i will defiantly send it before the end date by certified overnight.

can you all please try to help me think about other documents that i can provide ?! i need as many as possible.

am i missing anything?!

- bank statements
-credit cards statements
-leases
- letter from my previous landlord
- letter from my previous boss
- letter from my current boss
-current bills (ALL kinds off) since we moved to FL only (everything from before such as cell phone bills are gone...)
- tax transcripts
- i just found a letter from Experian about a dispute i had about one of the cars i used to have... this page show the account as opened on 2006 and it show OK as the payments process all though 2010... (even though i actually sold the car in 2007 and took different car instead for few more month before i left) - should i add it?!

i cant get my cell phone bill (the company told me that after a year, once they gave the phone # to someone else, they cant send me anything...

so i only have my current lines...

what else ??

Hi neway:

Congratulations!!! Please remember that you were NOT REJECTED, this is just a request for proof of evidence. Although you had a little strange interview experience, believe me everything will be OK. Here is what is important:

** You had the interview. This is a milestine in this process and you were there on time and as per requested.

** As you mentioned, you did pass the English/ Civics tests. This is also very good indication since officer did let you taking these tests.

** Officer also asked you to provide extra documentation. This means that he is willing to consider your case further and he needs more evidence to finalize his decision.

PLEASE do not get upset and do not get dissappointed. All you need is to collect all the documents requested at your best and send everything on time. Make sure to copy everything you are sending including your cover letter (write a cover letter, thank to the officer for his time and consideration; state that you are willing to provide extra documentation if it is needed).

The very last thing is that I/Os have different ways of doing things. If he said that he is trying to help you, then he will. Everything will be OK, just relax and do whatever told to you.

Once again congratulations... Cheers!
dakota2011

documents:

** Send copy of your English/Civics exam passing confirmation paper
** Send copy of your interview letter (if you have)
** Copy of any health insurance
** Any proof for attendance to any kind of events (this may include training, schools, workshops) .. something that proofs you were there
** if you traveled within US any copies of hotel and airline tickets
** receipts for any kind of property tax you paid
** if you went to doctor/hospital/dentist etc. during that period, you can request confirmation letters for your appointments

*** You can also start a new topic in the forum and gurus can povide you better tactics. .. Since the current topic title is related to March 2011 filers, people can skip this one easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
IO told me that they are still waiting for one of the background tests that they haven't received yet so legally she can't make a decision yet but it should not take more than a couple of days and I should get the decision letter in mail by next week...

Best of luck ishaw, do they really mean “couple of days”?

I experienced a similar situation during my GC processing. At my GC interview, IO told me that your GC application is approved pending FBI background check clearance and you will receive your GC in five business days. Actually, it took one year for me to receive my GC from the interview date. During this one year period I called USCIS at least one hundred times and made some InfoPass appointments. Every time I was told that my application is approved but FBI background check clearance is pending, there is nothing we can do about it and as soon as your FBI background check is cleared you will receive your GC in five business days.

Just like you I was not worried as I was confident that I had or have no unusual background. But that one year wait was very frustrating and that also delayed my eligibility to apply for N400 by one year. My ID for N400 is 07/12 and I will not be surprised if they tell me the same story as yours.

I would like to share another experience… around same time as mine one of my ex-colleague “Mark” applied for GC thru work. At his interview, the IO told him that his FBI background check clearance is pending but he granted him one year temporary GC. In the meantime, his background check got cleared and Mark received his permanent GC valid for ten years. The good part is that he became LPR since his interview date and was eligible to apply for N400 one year ahead of me.

Different IOs different decisions… Different names different treatment.

Hi thanks for replying advantage.. My IO was not bad (she was not nice either). Few hours after my interview my online status changed back from "testing and interview" to "request for evidence". I had taken everything with me and asked the IO multiple times that I have more documents if she needs anything else. She kept on saying that no I have everything I need. I have no idea what evidence they could possibly want now. I will definitely keep updating my case. I was also wondering if I will have another interview... not sure. I don't really care if they take a year... Overall very disappointed in the USCIS processes. Why do they give GCs if they want to show so much attitude towards giving Citizenship which is a next logical step and they should know it when giving GCs.

Conglatulations!!!!

Minneapolis, Mn
Sent App 02/28/11
Recv'd date 02/28/11
Notice date 03/02/11
Check cashed 03/03/11
FP Letter Rec'vd 04/04/11 scheduled for 04/28/11
Yellow Slip - Pre Interview Notice Recvd - 04/27/11 - advised to take State ID with me to Interview
FP Taken 04/28/11
IL Received 05/10/2011
ID scheduled - 06/13/2011
Interviewed - recommended for approval, had the same experience as dakota2011 just make sure you know what you filled in your application N400 very important also if you ever got a ticket let them know how you ook care of it in detail
Oath Letter - email update was sent 06/15/11
woooohoooooooo

Wish me luck!!!!!!

Hi thanks for replying advantage.. My IO was not bad (she was not nice either). Few hours after my interview my online status changed back from "testing and interview" to "request for evidence". I had taken everything with me and asked the IO multiple times that I have more documents if she needs anything else. She kept on saying that no I have everything I need. I have no idea what evidence they could possibly want now. I will definitely keep updating my case. I was also wondering if I will have another interview... not sure. I don't really care if they take a year... Overall very disappointed in the USCIS processes. Why do they give GCs if they want to show so much attitude towards giving Citizenship which is a next logical step and they should know it when giving GCs.

ishaw,
My situation is same after giving the interview on 06/13. The status changed to "request for evidence", however, my understanding is that it is just an intermediate or dummy status. Since my 5 years of GC will complete on 06/19/2011, they cannot approve my citizenship before that date.
What is your 5 yrs completion date?

Thanks
-gc_line

Hi gc_line. My five years were completed on June 1st.. Probably next week I find out what they want from me.

Hi guys just got another update for my case.. it is somehow now in "response for evidence response review" status!!! I am so confused. Yesterday they wanted some evidence.. and today they are looking at evidence that I did not submit?? Anybody has any idea?

Hi neway:

Congratulations!!! Please remember that you were NOT REJECTED, this is just a request for proof of evidence. Although you had a little strange interview experience, believe me everything will be OK. Here is what is important:

** You had the interview. This is a milestine in this process and you were there on time and as per requested.

** As you mentioned, you did pass the English/ Civics tests. This is also very good indication since officer did let you taking these tests.

** Officer also asked you to provide extra documentation. This means that he is willing to consider your case further and he needs more evidence to finalize his decision.

PLEASE do not get upset and do not get dissappointed. All you need is to collect all the documents requested at your best and send everything on time. Make sure to copy everything you are sending including your cover letter (write a cover letter, thank to the officer for his time and consideration; state that you are willing to provide extra documentation if it is needed).

The very last thing is that I/Os have different ways of doing things. If he said that he is trying to help you, then he will. Everything will be OK, just relax and do whatever told to you.

Once again congratulations... Cheers!
dakota2011

documents:

** Send copy of your English/Civics exam passing confirmation paper
** Send copy of your interview letter (if you have)
** Copy of any health insurance
** Any proof for attendance to any kind of events (this may include training, schools, workshops) .. something that proofs you were there
** if you traveled within US any copies of hotel and airline tickets
** receipts for any kind of property tax you paid
** if you went to doctor/hospital/dentist etc. during that period, you can request confirmation letters for your appointments

*** You can also start a new topic in the forum and gurus can povide you better tactics. .. Since the current topic title is related to March 2011 filers, people can skip this one easily.

thank you Dakota
i appreciate your positive thinking.
i really hope that you are right and after sending all document, it will be enough and he will approve me...

i do think about it, and i say to my self why did he had me do the test or if he would want to denial me he could have done it on the spot, so perhaps there is a chance, but i also remember he told me just before i left that the "law" doesn't care about the reason i left and some other stuff i just got a feeling from him it is not going to happend...

so again, thanks for the positive replay, it did cheer me and help me think i might still have a chance here.

I just received my Interview Letter today so I guess my case is moving.

Los Angeles, CA

N-400 Sent: 03/10/2011
Application Received: 03/14/2011
Check Cashed: 03/17/2011
NoA Letter Received: 03/18/2011
FP Appointment Received: 03/28/2011
FP Appointment Date: 04/12/2011
FP Walk-In Attempted: 03/29/2011 (DENIED)
FP Done: 04/12/2011 (as Scheduled)
Interview Letter Received: 05/13/2011
Interview Date: 06/21/2011
Interview Done:
Oath Letter Received:
Oath Ceremony Date:

Thank you so much for sharing! Glad to see someone also filed in Los Angeles, CA. and the case processing is definitely moving forward. Best of luck to you!

N-400 Sent: 04/01/2011
Application Received: 04/04/2011
Check Cashed: 04/06/2011
NoA Letter Received: 04/08/2011
FP Appointment Received: 04/15/2011
FP Appointment Date: 05/02/2011
FP Done: 05/02/2011 (as Scheduled)
Pre-Interview Letter received (asked to bring DL to interview): 06/10/2011
Interview Letter Received:
Interview Date:
Interview Done:
Oath Letter Received: