• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

TamaraM - I've just chanced upon http://www.skyscanner.com. I plugged in the above dates (Syd->NY Aug 22, NY -> Syd Dec 25) and both United and Qantas came up with return fares at $1700

One-way flights don't seem as economical as you tend to pay the same price or more, but China Airlines has a one-way flight on that date for $1051 (V Aus is offering $1619 for one-way!)

Certainly did TamaraM, but have not heard yet. I emailed them on Mon and I thought I would have heard from them by now, but not yet.

Exciting Ack! :) So does booking the return flight mean you're going for a short while and then coming back? $1319 sounds great! Thanks for your help with various airlines - I always liked the direct flights over there but am thinking we may have to rethink...

How are you going over there Coen??

We stayed at the Travelodge Phillip Street which is literally just around the corner. It was about $130 for the night from memory and the location couldn't be any better.

... and if you book online on a Tuesday you can get some free movie tickets :)

Happy new month to all my brothers and sisters here in AUSTRALIA and my fellow NIGERIANS a successful visa granted in jesus name,AMEN!!!

Thou we are from different races but we are one body in CHRIST.

We shall all succeed cos this is our month of turn-arround breakthrough in jesus name,AMEN.

Peace to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out Glenferrie lodge. From memory I think it was $69 a night and very nice. Nothing flash, but clean with a good brekky included in the price. It is in Kirribilli - about a 15 minute trip by ferry to the CBD.

Update : i had a quick look at their website and a single standard room for 18/4/2011 is indeed $69 for the night - great value!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news aussiedudette - must be so nice to have a date! Seems like they might be a bit more on time with their scheduling current numbers now...

My Green Card arrived at my US PO box today - only 11 days after I entered the USA! Much sooner than the 3 - 6 months the CBP officer at LAX said it would take. Now to get it safely from there to me in Australia.

My Green Card arrived at my US PO box today - only 11 days after I entered the USA! Much sooner than the 3 - 6 months the CBP officer at LAX said it would take. Now to get it safely from there to me in Australia.

That's really good news.
I've been a bit worried about the time it's going to take to get the SSN so that we can start work when we get there because as I understand it, you can't work without one.

Who did you get your PO box with Superkruz?

So I may have messed up and accidentally ticked the "i do not require an SSN" - any ideas as to how I can verify this is the case (and then subsequently apply for one)? I've popped off an email to sydneyacs@state.gov...

TamaraM - my immediate family are here in sydney, so i expect i'll be back at least for a visit within the year...fingers crossed it's just a visit anyway!

aussiedudette - best of luck for the interview!

Ack, dont worry about whether you ticked the SSN box or not. Although I ticked it, I still had to go to the SS offices to apply for a number - seems that ticking that box does not mean a SSN will automatically be issued to you. Just go to their offices and apply for a number whenever you get there.... whether you ticked it or not.

PS: If you really want to know whether you ticked it or not, you can ask the CBP officer at your POE when he opens the yellow envelope that you received from the consulate with your visa. It contains copies of all your documents, so it should be in there.

Thanks Superkruz. That's a relief...I was getting slightly panicky after reading that it can take 2-3 months to get an SSN!

Hi all.

My Visa arrived just after the New Year following a delay due to my medical forms not being fully completed. Heading to the US this Friday for a 'vacation' before looking to move permanently around September this year.

Thank you all for your tips. Especially about the documents required and the order in which to file them - Saved considerable time and made for a pain free experience at the consulate. Interview was also a breeze with similar questions asked to those previously listed in this thread.

A tip I can provide is that they wont provide change if electing to pay in US dollars so the exact amount is required. ($820 will not be accepted)

Congrats to those who have had their Visa applications approved and best of luck to those still patiently waiting.

Thanks Superkruz. That's a relief...I was getting slightly panicky after reading that it can take 2-3 months to get an SSN!
An update on the time it takes to get a Social Security Card - I applied (in person) at a Social Security office in LA on 23 Feb and received the card in the mail on 7 March - 13 days from start to finish.

Last edited by a moderator: