• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2011 DV Lottery Winners from Australia Report Here!

Thanks LoveAmerica

he did complete 12 years but not the exams for TEE in Western Australia. He has a letter from his high school saying he was present from year 7 to 12. I am just a bit concern about not successfully completing the exams.

Coen

Congratualtions on your VISA approval!

I have my interview in January and I am starting to get nervous. I have all the documents in order however I am worried about the financials. I have not been asked to provide an affidavit of support.
I am going to take bank statements.... Do you think that is ok?

Can you please just clarify - you said nothing was asked re: job prospects/income etc. Did you just hand over your documents of shareholdings and fathers stat dec or were you specifically asked?

Congratualtions again - when are you heading off?

Coen

Sorry - one last question. Did you take Australian currency or should i go and get some US currency!

Thanks! :)

TDAP is the other Vaccination. (Not sure what it stands for)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DPT_vaccine

Hey Coen

Congratulations!

U said, I qualified by education, year 12 plus some college.

my friend (dv winner 2010) finished year 12 but did not pass all of his exams. He completed STAT exams in Western Australia to get admission into university and the course is yet to be completed. Do u think he should continue to the interview stage or forget it especially if he has to pay almost $900 and get rejected with the visa during the interview

Response will be appreciated from anyone on this thread

Sounds a little like my situation.

I completed my schooling in Queensland.

English 4 units LA (being limited achievement aka D)
Maths B 4 units SA (aka C)
Maths C 3 units (dropped last semester) VLA (aka F)
Chemistry 4 units SA
Physics 4 units SA
IP&T 4 units SA

QCS: B
OP: 14

Admitted to university for B. Electronic Commerce, completed 4 subjects in the first semester, 4.25 GPA (3 pass, 1 credit) then withdrawn fail or fail for 4 subjects in my second semester (my girlfriend at the time fell pregnant, I ended up dropping out to take up full time work, my head just wasn't in study mode anymore.)

Those withdrawn fails brought my GPA down to 2.125.

I thought about my academic history long and hard before my interview. I convinced myself if anything was said about my limited achievement in English that I would point out that not all immigrants to the US study English in high school (or are able to communicate in it fluently like I could demonstrate) so it shouldn't be a deciding factor. My QCS grade was good, I just didn't apply myself in class (skipped a lot, left assignments to the last minute etc.) I will admit I was a terrible student back then.

Your friend shouldn't give up, as long as he has attended 12 years of schooling he should be fine.

The CO asked what my highest education was, I replied "some college," her response was, "So you completed HSC?" I said I was from QLD and up there it's called QCS, she asked "But you've completed 12 years of schooling?" and I confirmed. That was it, marks weren't even discussed, only copies of my Senior Certificate, Tertiary Entrance Statement and University Transcript were taken.

Coen

Congratualtions on your VISA approval!

I have my interview in January and I am starting to get nervous. I have all the documents in order however I am worried about the financials. I have not been asked to provide an affidavit of support.
I am going to take bank statements.... Do you think that is ok?

Can you please just clarify - you said nothing was asked re: job prospects/income etc. Did you just hand over your documents of shareholdings and fathers stat dec or were you specifically asked?

Congratualtions again - when are you heading off?

Booking flights tonight, looking at the 2nd week of January. I resigned from 2 jobs today and have already started selling up.

I gave EVERY document to the lady you see first (this is not the person that conducts your interview) and she picks out what she thinks might be useful/required. She glanced at the financial documents (probably long enough to tell they were about money, I doubt she read the stat dec unless she is a speed reader) then put them with my file that gets passed to the CO who does the interview. Neither of them asked for clarification, from memory I don't think the CO who does the interview even checked them off (there is a checklist on the front of your file they tick off as things go to make sure they have everything they need.)

Nothing about job/income was asked whatsoever (keep in mind I am single, with no dependents and young - if you're married with 3 kids then it maybe a different story), I assume this is because I had a rather large asset base (compared to the poverty line). Once again I assume if you don't provided a large asset base they may ask some questions, your bank statements along with keeping a credit card open in Australia once you leave (so you can book flights back to Australia to avoid becoming a charge on the state if need be) might help, along with a certified copy of a ATO Notice of Assessment and stat dec from the immediate family member remaining in Australia.

I will admit this is the part I lost the most sleep over because you hear so many conflicting stories, and even if you just follow "Step 4" like your 2NL instructs you to then there is still NOTHING that says you need to provide financial evidence, or even provide an envelope for that matter.

Coen

Sorry - one last question. Did you take Australian currency or should i go and get some US currency!

Thanks! :)

Australian currency is fine just try to have correct change, from what I can tell this is where most people don't comply with whats asked of them. One guy forgot his wallet (like seriously?!), another girl brought an EFTPOS (savings/cheque) card not a credit/debit card, another had a personal cheque. All had to go away and come back.

he did complete 12 years but not the exams for TEE in Western Australia. He has a letter from his high school saying he was present from year 7 to 12. I am just a bit concern about not successfully completing the exams.
Corey, As your friends' situation is a bit of a grey area I suggest you (or him) rather email the consulate and pose the question to them. That way you will get a definitive answer for free and relatively quickly too. With respect to Coen and other people on this forum, it does not really matter what we say or think - all that matters is how the Consulate views it, so just ask them. Dont risk your time and money with a dodgy application but rather establish the facts from the relevant authority to make an informed decision.

Corey,
I had a quick look here where it states:
"The principal diversity visa applicant must have a high school education, or its equivalent, OR two years of qualifying work experience in the last five years.

Education: Submit to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at your interview, a certificate of completion equivalent to a U.S. diploma, school transcripts, or other evidence issued by the person or organization responsible for maintaining records, which specifies the completed course of study. The diversity visa selectee must have completed a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education in the U.S. or a comparable course of study in another country, sufficient in itself to qualify a student to apply for college admission. The following are not acceptable:

•Equivalency certificates (such as the G.E.D.) are not acceptable.
•Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further academic study will not be considered equivalent to U.S. high school education. "

Another page states:
"High School Education: A high school education means successful completion of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to completion of a 12-year course in the U.S."

The fact that it contains the word "successful" makes me think that your friend will not qualify, based on his education, as he did not succesfully complete his year 12.

As I suggested in my previous post I think it would be best not to rely on my (or anyone else's) opinion, rather ask the consulate for a 100% certain answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing about job/income was asked whatsoever (keep in mind I am single, with no dependents and young - if you're married with 3 kids then it maybe a different story), I assume this is because I had a rather large asset base (compared to the poverty line). Once again I assume if you don't provided a large asset base they may ask some questions, your bank statements along with keeping a credit card open in Australia once you leave (so you can book flights back to Australia to avoid becoming a charge on the state if need be) might help, along with a certified copy of a ATO Notice of Assessment and stat dec from the immediate family member remaining in Australia.

I will admit this is the part I lost the most sleep over because you hear so many conflicting stories, and even if you just follow "Step 4" like your 2NL instructs you to then there is still NOTHING that says you need to provide financial evidence, or even provide an envelope for that matter.

The fact is that the Letter does not require you to show any proof of funds. Whether you are old (like me) or young, have kids (like me) or are single does not matter at all. They did not even ask me to show them a single piece of paper about my financial position. They did not know whether I had no money or whether I had a large asset base (like Coen), whether I had a credit card or a return airline ticket...... nothing was asked at all. In fact, I proceeded to ask them about this specifically (as I had it all up my sleeve to let rip in case they wanted it) but the lady explained to me that "because this is a visa that allows you to work in the US (ie support yourself), we dont require proof of funds".

In short... read your interview letter closely. If it asks for it, ensure you can provide it, otherwise dont worry about it - just do exactly as the letter says and you will be fine. I attach an extract of the letter I received for my interview so you can all see what the Sydney consulates' documentary requirements are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Superkruz - do you mind if I ask about your children and the interview process (specifically in Sydney as I understand different Consulates have different requirements)?? Were they required to attend the interview? Is there any sort of age range? I read your attachment above (which was very helpful, thank you for posting!) and don't see mention of them. How were you informed whether they were or were not required? My husband is the Principal applicant and we have two children under 10....Our CN is 11** so we don't expect to be current til mid year, but are having trouble finding out the answer to this question...

Any help would be *much* appreciated :)

Corey, As your friends' situation is a bit of a grey area I suggest you (or him) rather email the consulate and pose the question to them. That way you will get a definitive answer for free and relatively quickly too. With respect to Coen and other people on this forum, it does not really matter what we say or think - all that matters is how the Consulate views it, so just ask them. Dont risk your time and money with a dodgy application but rather establish the facts from the relevant authority to make an informed decision.

Even then take whatever the Consulate says via email with a grain of salt, as little as two weeks ago they informed me via email that the fee was A$941.85 yet I turned up on the day and it was A$859.95. Humans make mistakes, that includes COs. I have told you my experience, if your friend doesn't want to risk his A$859.95 for the chance of a lifetime then maybe the DV process isn't for him, moving country is expensive.

Corey,
I had a quick look here where it states:
"The principal diversity visa applicant must have a high school education, or its equivalent, OR two years of qualifying work experience in the last five years.

Education: Submit to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at your interview, a certificate of completion equivalent to a U.S. diploma, school transcripts, or other evidence issued by the person or organization responsible for maintaining records, which specifies the completed course of study. The diversity visa selectee must have completed a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education in the U.S. or a comparable course of study in another country, sufficient in itself to qualify a student to apply for college admission. The following are not acceptable:

•Equivalency certificates (such as the G.E.D.) are not acceptable.
•Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further academic study will not be considered equivalent to U.S. high school education. "

Another page states:
"High School Education: A high school education means successful completion of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to completion of a 12-year course in the U.S."

The fact that it contains the word "successful" makes me think that your friend will not qualify, based on his education, as he did not succesfully complete his year 12.

As I suggested in my previous post I think it would be best not to rely on my (or anyone else's) opinion, rather ask the consulate for a 100% certain answer.

You really can't fail Year 12 in Queensland at least, even if you get crap marks but take QCS subjects you will receive an OP and Tertiary Entrance Statement which is exactly what they are looking for. "Sufficient in itself to qualify a student to apply for college admission" doesn't exactly say what degree they would be accepted into (if accepted at all, remember the wording said APPLY for college admission), there is a big difference between qualifying for a B. Law/MBBS (Medicine) and a B. Arts, as long as he received an OP by completing 12 years of schooling I believe he will be fine, but it's not up to me, the CO on the day will have the final say, which is my case at least, a below average OP wasn't an issue.

The fact is that the Letter does not require you to show any proof of funds. Whether you are old (like me) or young, have kids (like me) or are single does not matter at all. They did not even ask me to show them a single piece of paper about my financial position. They did not know whether I had no money or whether I had a large asset base (like Coen), whether I had a credit card or a return airline ticket...... nothing was asked at all. In fact, I proceeded to ask them about this specifically (as I had it all up my sleeve to let rip in case they wanted it) but the lady explained to me that "because this is a visa that allows you to work in the US (ie support yourself), we dont require proof of funds".

In short... read your interview letter closely. If it asks for it, ensure you can provide it, otherwise dont worry about it - just do exactly as the letter says and you will be fine. I attach an extract of the letter I received for my interview so you can all see what the Sydney consulates' documentary requirements are.

Not wanting to start a flame war Superkruz but this is DV-2011 and not DV-2010, things have changed. Take the 2ND for example, this is mine: View attachment 18186
You can see it contains NO detail whatsoever this year, only referencing "Step 4".

Even then Step 4 doesn't say anything about having to supply a 3kg Express Post envelope yet I brought a 500g one and I was sent away to bring back the correct size once my visa was approved. Just because it wasn't mentioned in a 2NL that isn't even being used anymore doesn't mean they don't require enough information to make an informed judgment on your case, I personally would prefer to have too much info then not enough cause I would hope when the US decides who to let into it's boarders they err on the side of caution.

Coen - I guess your pdf answers my question regarding children attending interviews - sadly they must, lol. It's gonna be one stressful day! Special too hopefully.....

Interesting the lack of detail your 2NL shows. I wonder if it's now become non-consulate-specific with it's direction to follow 'step 4'?

Don't worry Tamara, it took me an hour and a half from the time I lined up at security to the time it was approved and I could leave. Try at arrive at 7.20 so you are first in line at the reception area and make sure you are LAST into the lift, this will mean you will clear the second security point before anyone else and will be first to take a number (Medicare style) in the waiting room. Because of the nature of the process, those with low numbers get processed quicker then those with higher numers, because if they ask you to come back, they allow you to 'cut' in line before those still waiting to be called. I was #5, even after I came back at 10.30 with the larger envelope they had only managed to get to #10. I hope those hints help you stop stressing. :)

Thanks SuperKruz

All the info has been very useful. The process of gettting the duplicate copy of the year 12 cert is underway from the board of education

Hi All

Happy New Year!!

I have my interview in less than 2 weeks time. I was just wondering if anyone out there can tell me if I need an address of where I intend on going in the USA to be provided on day of interview? If yes, can I then change the address if need be at immigration in the USA when I first arrive? As I understand it, the first time I arrive in the states after being approved (fingers crossed) I will need to provide an address where my greencard will be then posted to. At that time, will I be permitted to provide a different address than the one that I will provide at my interview.
If anyone knows I would appreciate an answer!

Many Thanks! :)

I was able to change it on the day of the interview. I entered via LAX yesterday and wasn't given the chnace to update/confirm the postal address. At the POE they give you a piece of paper saying expect your green card in 6 months and not to contact them unless you haven't received it after 11 months.

Good luck for your interview 'excited'.

Are there many of us out there still waiting for interviews? (Sorry - haven't read back through thread recently!)
I'm not expecting mine/ours until later this year - CN11** ...although today's (Feb) bulletin looks promising, it will still be a while. Interesting that just about everyone in this thread all had low case numbers except me, lol.

Our interview is this coming Tuesday. So at the moment I'm double and triple checking that we've got all of the paperwork that we need.

Coen: I'm guessing the address you provide has to be in the USA? And if so, does anybody have any advice on obtaining an address in the USA before you get there?!