2005 Consolidated Tracker (140/EAD/AP/FP/485)

rrdrai said:
That was PD for labor applicaiton processing by BPC center, I was asking about the PD for 485 Approval / Processing /allocating visa number.

Isn't the cut-off date of i485 the PD of the labor. As I understand if you labor PD is 15-JUN-2002 ( the current cut-off date for i485-EB2 India ) or earlier , you can file for i485 / USCIS will process your 485 case if already filed.

Any one filing for 140 EB2 premium processing.
I have just started the process today.
I will keep you posted about my events.

EAD Question

Hello

I have 2 questions regarding EAD.

1. Can I do a second job and work part-time while I am on H1B but have my EAD approved.

2. Can I own my own business while I am on H1B and have my EAD approved.

Thanks a lot for your help.

dono77in said:
Hello

1. Can I do a second job and work part-time while I am on H1B but have my EAD approved.

1. No, you cannot do a second job. Your EAD is restricted to the employer that sponsors the GC. After your GC is approved, you will have to go to the SSN office to remove the restriction from your SSN. Currently your SSN is marked as restricted employer or something to that effect.
Doing a second job ususally needs some permission...

2. Talk to a lawyer. It is advisable that you open a company in the name of a friend or a family member. The terms of your H-1 sponsorship should say it all. Ask the lawyer who did your H-1 processing.

HK_HR said:
Isn't the cut-off date of i485 the PD of the labor. As I understand if you labor PD is 15-JUN-2002 ( the current cut-off date for i485-EB2 India ) or earlier , you can file for i485 / USCIS will process your 485 case if already filed.

Hello HK_HR and All,
My Priority Dt is April 2002.
My I-140 got approved in may 2006
I have recd EAD.
The last LUD on my i-485 is 06/06.

Since my priority date is April 2002, my case should have been worked on right? Can anyone help me understand where it might be stuck?

what is I 485 RD? it also depends on that. They are currently handling cases from around june 15, 2005 and prior.

sonjd_gc said:
Hello HK_HR and All,
My Priority Dt is April 2002.
My I-140 got approved in may 2006
I have recd EAD.
The last LUD on my i-485 is 06/06.

Since my priority date is April 2002, my case should have been worked on right? Can anyone help me understand where it might be stuck?

EAD restricted to employer??

really? i thought EAD wasn't restricted to employer. i don't have any hard facts, but i was under the impression that you can use EAD to do a 2nd job or partime somewhere else. But the only restriction is that at the same time you do need to continue working for the employer that sponsored you until you get your GC...

thoughts anyone?

SVD said:
1. No, you cannot do a second job. Your EAD is restricted to the employer that sponsors the GC. After your GC is approved, you will have to go to the SSN office to remove the restriction from your SSN. Currently your SSN is marked as restricted employer or something to that effect.
Doing a second job ususally needs some permission....

Last edited by a moderator:
dono77in said:
Hello

You can do 2 jobs on EAD, but when you use EAD for that 'second' job, you cannot be on H1 for your 'first' job. So you will have to switch to EAD on both the jobs. There are some risks involved in using EAD v/s remaining on H1B thruout the GC process. You can search on this forum about that.

You can own your business regardless if you are H1 or EAD, but the catch is, you cannot work for your business if you do not have work authorization to do so. This is a good FAQ about that:
http://usvisanews.com/faq/business.shtml#business
Once again, if you want to work for your own business, you will have to use EAD or get a 2nd - Part time H1 approved for your own business.

FYI: Once you get EAD and want to work in open market, you can go to SSN office to get the new SSN card that does not have - Allowed to work with INS Authorizarion ONLY - printed on it. Takes about a week to get the new card.

Got a Fingerprint notice for the second time

Folks,

I know there are many of you are hanging around here with me for quite a while. There is a small updated news for you.

My application still in VSC (as I have not received any notification from them). Today I have received a finger printing notice for the second time ( code 3) in Newark, NJ on Oct 5th.

When I called the VSC few months ago, they told security check is pending.

Since I have received the fingerprint notice, Does it tell us anything? Is my name check cleared and they are ready to approve after once oct starts?

My wife did not receive any notice.

Also my finger prints are only 1 year old ( aug 2005 i did), why are they asking now?

Thanks

Driver License for only one year

I renewed my driver license in Virginia today. I have an I-485 application pending for more than one year and have a valid EAD valid through October 2007.

The DMV renewed my driver license for only one more year, using my EAD's validity date. (They said my I-485 receipt date is more than one year ago and they do not accept that.)

Does anyone have the same experience? This is really inconvenient.

In NJ that is the case as well. The Drivers license is renewed till ead EXPIRATION DATE PLUS 3 MONTHS!!!

life sucks without GC!!!

WhereIsMyGCUSA said:
I renewed my driver license in Virginia today. I have an I-485 application pending for more than one year and have a valid EAD valid through October 2007.

The DMV renewed my driver license for only one more year, using my EAD's validity date. (They said my I-485 receipt date is more than one year ago and they do not accept that.)

Does anyone have the same experience? This is really inconvenient.

first in the line

rrdai,
You are the first in the line. Hoping to hear some good news on Dussehra and Gandhi Jayanti...
Let us know

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Friends

SVD said:
rrdai,
You are the first in the line. Hoping to hear some good news on Dussehra and Gandhi Jayanti...
Let us know

There will be no good news as far as Retrogession is conerned.

Retrogression Expected to Get Worse Before It Gets Better
As recently as December 2004, all employment-based (EB) categories for permanent residence were "current". That is, there were no backlogs.
That all started to change in January 2005 when the EB-3 category (professionals and skilled workers) backlogged three years. These backlogs are referred to as the "retrogression".

The retrogression has gradually gotten worse during the past 21 months. The October 2006 State Department Visa Bulletin reveals that the EB-3 category has now retrogressed almost 4 1/2 years. The backlogs are even greater for persons born in India and Mexico. Even the EB-2 category for advanced-degreed professionals has backlogged for persons born in India and China.

In the absence of congressional action, the retrogression will get worse, probably a lot worse, before it gets better. Why?
In May 2005, President Bush, recognizing the tremendous shortage of nurses and therapists, signed a bill which "recaptured" 50,000 immigrant visas for Schedule A professionals, primarily registered nurses, physical therapists and their family members. By the end of this month, all 50,000 visas will be used up. What will happen to RNs and PTs who are still in line for green cards and those who will apply for permanent residence in the future? They will be added to the EB-3 backlog which will result in increased waiting times, perhaps to five years or more.

The total number of persons who are permitted to obtain permanent residence each year in the employment-based categories is only 140,000. Adding another 30,000 - 50,000 to the current backlogs will certainly make the retrogression more severe.

Even more problematic are the 300,000+ applications for labor certification currently pending in the Labor Department's (DOL's) Backlog Elimination Centers. DOL has pledged to take action on each of these applications within the next 18 months. Even if only 200,000 of these applications are ultimately approved, if 50% of the applicants have a spouse and one child, the number of green cards needed to accommodate them would total 300,000. This is more than double the annual cap on EB green cards. Therefore, this has the potential to make the EB-2 and EB-3 numbers regress another two years.

Finally, present laws contain hard per-country caps. This means that countries like India and China which have populations of over one billion persons each have exactly the same quotas as Monaco and Mauritius, two tiny countries which supply the U.S. with virtually no immigrants. Given that most H-1B professionals are born in India and China, the per-country quotas will exaggerate the retrogression for persons born in these countries.

If high-skilled immigrants could only come to U.S. or remain in their own countries, our country could afford to continue this backward, "Let them eat Chicken McNuggets!" approach. But various European countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Persian Gulf countries are all competing for these talented individuals. Even Germany, the great bastion for engineers is seeing the number of German students studying engineering fall precipitously.

It is in our national interest to make our country the principal destination for computer professionals and scientists, for nurses, teachers and therapists, and for businessmen and physicians from all over the world.

The Senate immigration bill (S.2611) would have greatly expanded both the outdated employment and family-based immigration systems and eased the per-country limitations. Unfortunately, House Republicans, worried that they might lose their majority in the mid-term elections, refused to negotiate a compromise bill with the Senate.

Perhaps, in the "lame duck" session of Congress which will occur after the November elections, reason will prevail and Congress will pass amendments to fix our legal immigration system.

No Matter What ever you do this House Rep are not going to make anything come our way and trust me if we won't speak together they won't even bother to make any efforts.

So please do write to all the Senate and House Reps and please do Gandhigiri with them as according to Munna Bhai these House Reps are BIMAAR

Best Regards

Saburi

Fingerprint missing on EAD...problem?

hi all,
i finally got my EAD card on saturday. but i noticed it says no finger prints available, although i had them done on 7/12.
does anyone know if this is a problem? do i need to aks for a new card?
thanks in advance!!!

revealing

Saburi,
Never quite thought this through. Your message puts it in perspective.

The illegal hispanics are being made legal as they form a big vote bank. Current hispanic immigrants are supporting their cause. Morally, I support them too.

Legally speaking, the people applying through legal channels should be given priority. The main problem with Indians is that they are disorganized. We are the richest community in the US. Still, we do not have any clout since we are dispersed in our politics. Can we effect a change in legislation ?

As for the US, this is probably a great opportunity to attract peaceful, educated and talented south asians as immigrants before the trend reverses.

The real question is will I still be interested if I get my GC ?

What would be the easiest, non-taxing and sustainable way to participate and effect a change ?

I agree

SVD said:
Saburi,

The illegal hispanics are being made legal as they form a big vote bank. Current hispanic immigrants are supporting their cause. Morally, I support them too. I do not support them Because they are going ahead of the que and people like me and other Legal Immigrants who are waiting for this Green Card for last 4-5 Years are the people who deserves the first turn to get Legal permanently, not the Illigal Hispanics who acctually make the vote bank....

Legally speaking, the people applying through legal channels should be given priority. The main problem with Indians is that they are disorganized ( i think you have bad experience of being with indians or maybe have a wrong impression about indians every race and country people have organized and disorganized people so its not question of being indian or pakistani or any other country the key is to speak for the truth and fact is people are crossing and jumping the lines ahead then those who are in the que for a long time people like me, i don't know about you). We are the richest community in the US. Still, we do not have any clout since we are dispersed in our politics. Can we effect a change in legislation ?( may be no we can not get the chnage in the legislation but can atleast be honest to our self and our fellow legal immigrants and raise our voice against the injustice)

As for the US, this is probably a great opportunity to attract peaceful, educated and talented south asians as immigrants before the trend reverses.

What would be the easiest, non-taxing and sustainable way to participate and effect a change ?

There might be lot of ways which i am not aware of but first we should stop our own arguments and agree to one common thing that yes we have to raise our voice against the injustice and then come up with ways to put up our voice in the US politics, now one way i know is atleast once each day send one letter to the house rep and do not show our anger but show them our furstration and the fact that because of this injustice we are suffering.

I think we should join hands to gether and i call this as Ghandigiri.

Best Regards

Saburi

Originally Posted by SVD
Saburi,

The illegal hispanics are being made legal as they form a big vote bank. Current hispanic immigrants are supporting their cause. Morally, I support them too. I do not support them Because they are going ahead of the que and people like me and other Legal Immigrants who are waiting for this Green Card for last 4-5 Years are the people who deserves the first turn to get Legal permanently, not the Illigal Hispanics who acctually make the vote bank....
Legally speaking, the people applying through legal channels should be given priority. The main problem with Indians is that they are disorganized [COLOR=DarkRed[COLOR=DarkOrange]]( i think you have bad experience of being with indians or maybe have a wrong impression about indians every race and country people have organized and disorganized people so its not question of being indian or pakistani or any other country the key is to speak for the truth and fact is people are crossing and jumping the lines ahead then those who are in the que for a long time people like me, i don't know about you)[/COLOR].[/COLOR] We are the richest community in the US. Still, we do not have any clout since we are dispersed in our politics. Can we effect a change in legislation [COLOR=DarkRed[COLOR=DarkOrange]]?( may be no we can not get the chnage in the legislation but can atleast be honest to our self and our fellow legal immigrants and raise our voice against the injustice)[/COLOR][/COLOR]

There might be lot of ways which i am not aware of but first we should stop our own arguments and agree to one common thing that yes we have to raise our voice against the injustice and then come up with ways to put up our voice in the US politics, now one way i know is atleast once each day send one letter to the house rep and do not show our anger but show them our furstration and the fact that because of this injustice we are suffering.

I think we should join hands to gether and i call this as Ghandigiri.

Best Regards

Saburi

How to check FD, RD, LUD,?

Hi,

I got the case number which is a Nebraska number. How can I check the FD, RD, LUD dates?

Thanks

Switching jobs while on EAD

Hi,

I am currently on EAD. I know that I can switch jobs under AC21. Here are my questions :

1) Does the 'job title' need to be the same as that on the Labor ? ( my labor was filed in Sept-04 as 'Software Engineer' and my prospective new job is for 'Senior Business System Analyst'. The new job is exactly as per the job description on my Labor Cert , only the job title is different.

2) What do I need to do to smoothly transition from one company to another ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks.