Marriage Visa - American Woman, Egyptian Man

NeedHelp569

I’m a U.S. citizen. I am in love with an Egyptian man, who works in Saudi Arabia, teaching English (he has a BA in English). But he visits Egypt a couple of times per year, to see his 5 year old son, and the rest of his family (his wife passed away, and his sister is raising his son, while he is away working).

I want him to come live here in the USA with me (and eventually bring his son). But I’m scared, because I’ve been hearing that getting a U.S. Visa is like a lottery in Egypt. And I also hear that middle easterners often get denied? Is it different when you have an American wife (I want to marry him)? Is there anything I can do that will make it more likely for him to be able to live here with me? I know I have to travel there to meet him first, but should I marry him over there? I hear its hard for Americans to marry Egyptians in Egypt, because of some letter you have to get from the U.S. government, giving permission to marry an Egyptian? But many people couldn‘t get this letter, because the USA doesn‘t give or deny permission like that. How do I get around that? I hear some people go to Cyprus to get married. Is that doable?

Most importantly, when I file for him, what’s the best way to go about this, so we won’t get denied? I’m sure he’s the one for me, so I want to do this right. But I also need to know how realistic / likely it is for him to live with me. He works in Saudi because he can't earn a reasonable income working in Egypt, especially not enough to compensate for his education. And he doesn't want to raise a family in Saudi Arabia (neither do I).

Is it true that when you file from the USA, its more likely to get denied? Is it better to file from Egypt? What about that lottery thing? Does it apply to someone married to an American? How long do I have to stay there with him, to file?

Please help?

No such letter needed whatsoever. If you both are free and willing to marry each other, you sponsor him for a K-1 visa. His son will get K-2 visa.

I hear its hard for Americans to marry Egyptians in Egypt, because of some letter you have to get from the U.S. government, giving permission to marry an Egyptian? But many people couldn‘t get this letter, because the USA doesn‘t give or deny permission like that.

I do not think that you require a letter from the US Government to marry in Egypt. As you are already an American Citizen, sponsor him through the Fiance' Visa ( K1 Visa). That is the easiest way to bring him in.You must petition for fiance(e) visa for which you need to show the following
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You plan to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering US.
- You and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry
- Any previous marriages should have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
Green Card Lottery:
The DOS holds the lottery every year, and randomly selects approximately 110,000 applicants from all qualified entries. Many will not complete the visa process successfully. once 55,000 are issued or the fiscal year ends, the lottery is closed. Winning a Visa through this entitles you to live and work permanently in the United States. You will also be allowed to bring your spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 to the United States.
Eligibility:
You must make sure that your spouse must be a native of a country that is eligible to participate in the Lottery.
You may also be eligible to apply if your parent was born in a country that is eligible to participate.
You must have a high school diploma or the equivalent, defined in the United States as successful completion of a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education; OR you must have two years of work experience within the last five years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience to perform.
Good Luck!!

Another option is just get married and then file two I-130s for your husband and stepson. They would be "immediate relatives of a USC" and process faster and get greencard status upon entry. They would get conditional status and have to apply through an I-751 within the final 90 days before expiration of their 2 yr conditional greencards. (one I-751 petition only if the son accompanies the father or joins within a certain period of time (I think 90 days)). This step would still happen even if they initially entered on K1 and K2 visas via the one I-129F petition.

The K visas would be the result of the fiance petition. As K's they get a 90 entry and you are supposed to marry within those 90 days THEN file for adjustment of status for each of them inside the U.S. The adjustment would result in conditional status BUT the 2 yr period would start later when the I-485s are approved.

There are other considerations as to which path is best for you. An I-129F merely needs an I-134 Affidavit of Support with less financial resources being shown by you (the petitioner/sponsor). The I-130s require I-864 Affidavits of Support for each of them with greater financial documentation. Also, this Affidavit is a legally enforceable contract while the I-134 is not. The I-864s would still be required for the adjustments. I-864 support does not end with divorce (thoroughly read the form instructions at www.uscis.gov ).

Lastly, I hope it is really love and that you are not being used just for a greencard (or some other even worse motive). [Somebody had to say it.]

Good Luck,

Some countries require proof that one is single, and that any previous marriage has ended (the Netherlands requires this, and the US consulate in Amsterdam provides it - Certificate of Civil Status). Check with the US embassy in Cairo (http://egypt.usembassy.gov/index.html) or wherever else to see if they will provide something like this. Alternatively, you can go to the city or county where you live in the US and try to get a Certificate of Non-Impediment. New York City provides this to show you are free to marry (http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/non-impedment.shtml). You then might have to get it certified by another authority, and eventually apostilled by the Secretary of State of your state.

U.S. citizens who want to bring a foreign fiancé(e) to the United States so that they can be married and live in the U.S. The U.S. Citizen must petition on behalf of their future spouse with the U.S. Government agency handling immigration matters called the USCIS. Once the foreign fiancé(e) receives the Fiancé(e) Visa, they must marry their US citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry into the United States, or leave the US. Once the couple marries, the foreign citizen can adjust status to receive their Green card.

Or other option to marry in Egypt and later you can apply to obtain Green Card through Marriage.

No such letter needed whatsoever. If you both are free and willing to marry each other, you sponsor him for a K-1 visa. His son will get K-2 visa.
I just married in Cairo Egypt on the 23rd of February and it is not difficult. Yes! U need embassy approval. This is a day appointment made in advance....strongly suggest u make appointment before leaving the USA. Give yourself a two week window between embassy and marriage. After you get the approval you will have to go to the Ministry to also have them stamp the embassy letter for their approval. That’s another day. Next you will have to have a blood test, one day process. Then you can go to the court house in Cairo Sunday through Thursday to marry. After you marry u then have to take your marriage certificate down to have it translated to English at the Ministry of Justice translation that’s a three day process. Then you have to take the translated and original marriage certificate back down to the Ministry for a stamp of approval. If you fail to do this you will have to go to the US embassy for notarization which will mean another appointment which take three weeks. But it must be notarized by either the ministry or us embassy otherwise the USA won’t accept. Make sure you have plenty of time to achieve all this. Good luck!