• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 Oceania Winners

But how they call in for interview when they know very well we about to reach the cap .In fiji we are already suffering and people are forking our money from their pocket and receiving this news from them almost a month now.
The Embassy was actually trying to help folks when they bumped up those previously scheduled for September into August time slots - they were aware of the approaching cap limit hence the attempt at moving up the interview slots. They probably had no way of knowing the remaining visas would be exhausted before those cases got issued with their visa. It's not like they intentionally invited people for the interview when they already knew those people will not be issued with visas due to the cap limit being reached (or passed in this case).

But how they call in for interview when they know very well we about to reach the cap .In fiji we are already suffering and people are forking our money from their pocket and receiving this news from them almost a month now.

They scheduled interviews for September in July, meaning it was too soon for them to know visas were going to be exhausted - although from late July, I and others have been warning that the 55k cap was rapidly approaching and we were not sure when they would stop interviewing - but I had messaged the first week as September as being the likely crunch point.

It is indeed very disappointing how it ended for so many people in the OC region.

I am one of those unlucky once as well.

The interview initially scheduled for Sept was moved to mid aug and was verbally approved.
I was following the DOS data and sent an alert email on the 3rd of Sept to the embassy advising we were very close to visas running out. The embassy emails me back on 5th saying "my visa number was confirmed and they are processing on a first come basis".

I was still worried they did not "Issue" the visa till the morning of 7th (6th in US) and so sent another email early morning again stressing visas are almost exhausted and if they can proceed to issue it..I was following cases closely on Ceac site that day and noted cases then started changing from Ready to Issued. It was only on the 7th that the embassy actually started issuing visas to it's Aug interview cases. In a span of 2-3 hours, they Issued about 30 or so cases. It was too late by then and around midday in Fiji (5pm US 6th) Visas were exhausted.

The embassy could have certainly done better for us.

Now, 3 weeks later, after 4 followup emails, I received the same standardized email everyone else received saying the program has ended and no visas are left for allocation and to try again.

There are about 70 cases/200 applicants I believe that suffered the same.

It makes me so sad and heartbroken to hear others spending so much and doing everything right but still missing out.

I read earlier in this thread some posted about their correspondence with the Auckland embassy and I noticed they prioritised it's interviewed applicants and issued visas on the 1st September. If only the Suva embassy had done that for it's cases.

People don't win the lottery every year, as for only some, this happens once in a life time and when you think about it, if the embassy had spent just a few minutes on their case, thier life could be so much different right now

It is indeed very disappointing how it ended for so many people in the OC region.

The interview initially scheduled for Sept was moved to mid aug and was verbally approved.
I was following the DOS data and sent an alert email on the 3rd of Sept to the embassy advising we were very close to visas running out. The embassy emails me back on 5th saying "my visa number was confirmed and they are processing on a first come basis".

I was still worried they did not "Issue" the visa till the morning of 7th (6th in US) and so sent another email early morning again stressing visas are almost exhausted and if they can proceed to issue it..I was following cases closely on Ceac site that day and noted cases then started changing from Ready to Issued. It was only on the 7th that the embassy actually started issuing visas to it's Aug interview cases. In a span of 2-3 hours, they Issued about 30 or so cases. It was too late by then and around midday in Fiji (5pm US 6th) Visas were exhausted.

Now, 3 weeks later, after 4 followup emails, I received the same standardized email everyone else received saying the program has ended and no visas are left for allocation and to try again.

It makes me so sad and heartbroken to hear others spending so much and doing everything right but still missing out.

I read earlier in this thread some posted about their correspondence with the Auckland embassy and I noticed they prioritised it's interviewed applicants and issued visas on the 1st September. If only the Suva embassy had done that for it's cases.

People don't win the lottery every year, as for only some, this happens once in a life time and when you think about it, if the embassy had spent just a few minutes on their case, thier life could be so much different right now
Bula,can we all come together and send an email to the US embassy in Suva.

We wasted almost$ 7,000 and it's going to waste. Now the Suva embassy need to answer this why they move the interview early and they don't issue the visa on time..can they allocate those visa for us.

Bula,can we all come together and send an email to the US embassy in Suva.
I don't see that changing anything. It's not up to the embassy now.
We have missed out and have to live with this bitter fact unfortunately

Can we file a lawsuit in regards to this.

No.

Firstly, they told you that this could happen in the first letter you were sent. They make clear that selection did not guarantee a visa.
Second. The fees you paid (for medical and the interview view) are non refundable. You had the medical, and you had the interview. So those fees are spent. The payment of the fee does NOT obligate them to issue a visa.
Third. There are no visas left - so if you think they can be sued to give you a visa - that is incorrect. The year will be over on September 30th anyway - so you need to accept the realty.

Thanks for your write-up. Indeed very frustrating.

I also don't understand why it's not part of their process that come interview time, when the IO says "approved", why they don't enter the system immediately and reserve a visa number. Waiting to batch things for a few weeks really can't save THAT much time and is just another government inefficiency.

I'm sorry that you had to endure this process. We can only hope the government continues to learn and get better each DV year.

Can we file a lawsuit in regards to this.
I don't think so, there is a disclaimer that "winning is no guarantee of a visa". Honestly, I would trade places with you as for me I have discovered the US just isn't what I thought it is and feel sad for those who would benefit more from having the green card than now "grumpy" me.

I don't think so, there is a disclaimer that "winning is no guarantee of a visa". Honestly, I would trade places with you as for me I have discovered the US just isn't what I thought it is and feel sad for those who would benefit more from having the green card than now "grumpy" me.
What is it about your experience here that has made you "grumpy"? Is it location, job or just the entire DV process to get here?

I'm sure you don't really enjoy talking about what makes you grumpy, but it would be a great service to others to explain the challenges you have had in settling in.

I'm sure you don't really enjoy talking about what makes you grumpy, but it would be a great service to others to explain the challenges you have had in settling in.
Hi BritSimon, would really appreciate your help. I won the gc lottery last year, medical and interview in november 2022 and entered the US on first entry with the temp visa in May 2023. Left the US at beginning of June to return home and sort things out before my permanent move. I received my physical green card during that time.
I am now planning to travel to the US again for the permanent move. Does the 6 month rule apply from the date of first entry (I.e May 2023) or from when the temp visa was issued?
If it’s from May, does that mean I have to enter by November to avoid scrutiny/risk losing the GC? Thank you.

It's mixed feelings but mostly it's the lack of things to do where I am, car dependence, and everything being so far away. On a slightly more personal level, downgrading my career so I didn't lose the green card also feels like a not so great choice, for now.

Hi BritSimon, would really appreciate your help. I won the gc lottery last year, medical and interview in november 2022 and entered the US on first entry with the temp visa in May 2023. Left the US at beginning of June to return home and sort things out before my permanent move. I received my physical green card during that time.
I am now planning to travel to the US again for the permanent move. Does the 6 month rule apply from the date of first entry (I.e May 2023) or from when the temp visa was issued?
If it’s from May, does that mean I have to enter by November to avoid scrutiny/risk losing the GC? Thank you.
It's based on the residence since date on your green card

It's mixed feelings but mostly it's the lack of things to do where I am, car dependence, and everything being so far away. On a slightly more personal level, downgrading my career so I didn't lose the green card also feels like a not so great choice, for now.
Ok, those things seem fixable! You can find places to live that suit the lifestyle you want.

Job wise, yes I think we all experience that stage of going backwards our careers. However in my opinion it is easier to get ahead here later. So don't think of the first job as your level. Stay there a while and then find a better rile. It's easier to get a job when you already have one. And being ambitious about your career path is more respected here, so don't be afraid to ask for better roles.

Good luck!

Ok, those things seem fixable! You can find places to live that suit the lifestyle you want.

Job wise, yes I think we all experience that stage of going backwards our careers. However in my opinion it is easier to get ahead here later. So don't think of the first job as your level. Stay there a while and then find a better rile. It's easier to get a job when you already have one. And being ambitious about your career path is more respected here, so don't be afraid to ask for better roles.

Good luck!
Thanks Brit, I appreciate it!

I actually won the DV2004 lottery way back in the day, and like you I wasn't happy. Actually moved back home the following year.

Then life changed many years later, started applying again and won (again) in 2019 and this time I won't be leaving.

I guess sometimes it takes awhile.