• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Appreciate the valuable insight from all the members for my questions. I heard one needs to have bank account, driving license, utility bills or lease agreement as proof of residency. I am going to live with my brother, who is also my sponsor. So how can I provide those proof? Are the GC and passport sufficient to open a bank account? Any tips pl?

Appreciate the valuable insight from all the members for my questions. I heard one needs to have bank account, driving license, utility bills or lease agreement as proof of residency. I am going to live with my brother, who is also my sponsor. So how can I provide those proof? Are the GC and passport sufficient to open a bank account? Any tips pl?
What you require varies bank to bank. In most cases neither GC or passport is required (will need some form of ID though). Chase requires proof of address on some sort of bill like you stated, how you get that is up to you, personally I took over the internet bill when I first arrived so that it would be in my name. Apparently from what a lot of people have told me, Bank of America does not require proof of address. So maybe just look into what each bank requires and pick whatever suits you best.

Hello everyone. I'm hoping it's OK to post this question here about settling in the US as it may help some other people here who are making the move soon as we are all recent migrants. Happy to post elsewhere if it's too off topic.

In short, my children were unable to attend the Consulate Visa interview. However, I'm hoping they can immigrate with me to the US and then I can apply for the Green Card for them, using the I-130 Form. I just had two questions around this - based on what I'm reading - that it would be great to get an expert opinion on!

1.) Once I've applied using the I-130 form, can the children reside in the US with me indefinitely whilst they are waiting for it to be processed?

2.) Once in the US, can they attend Public School, even thought they wouldn't have their Green Cards yet? (provided they are in the local catchment and meet all the other requirements).

Thanks for any advice, it would be much appreciated!

Hello everyone. I'm hoping it's OK to post this question here about settling in the US as it may help some other people here who are making the move soon as we are all recent migrants. Happy to post elsewhere if it's too off topic.

In short, my children were unable to attend the Consulate Visa interview. However, I'm hoping they can immigrate with me to the US and then I can apply for the Green Card for them, using the I-130 Form. I just had two questions around this - based on what I'm reading - that it would be great to get an expert opinion on!

1.) Once I've applied using the I-130 form, can the children reside in the US with me indefinitely whilst they are waiting for it to be processed?

2.) Once in the US, can they attend Public School, even thought they wouldn't have their Green Cards yet? (provided they are in the local catchment and meet all the other requirements).

Thanks for any advice, it would be much appreciated!
Your children cannot immigrate with you if they do not currently have an immigrant visa.

A pending or an approved I-130 does not grant a legal status to the beneficiary. Your children therefore cannot legally remain in the US nor attend schools while their I-130 is pending.

Thanks for your prompt reply @Sm1smom - clearly I am reading this wrong.

What do you think would be the best approach in this situation then? Do I need to be in the US to apply for their I-130 and can I be out of the country while I'm waiting for it to be approved? I believe it takes several years, but again, may have read wrong.

Alternatively, is there another Visa that would allow children to remain in the country while waiting for an I-130 to be approved?

Thanks again for your advice.

Thanks for your prompt reply @Sm1smom - clearly I am reading this wrong.

What do you think would be the best approach in this situation then? Do I need to be in the US to apply for their I-130 and can I be out of the country while I'm waiting for it to be approved? I believe it takes several years, but again, may have read wrong.

Alternatively, is there another Visa that would allow children to remain in the country while waiting for an I-130 to be approved?

Thanks again for your advice.
Unfortunately, I cannot hazard a guess as to what may be the best approach in your situation considering you haven’t shared the reason(s) as to why your children did not benefit from your DV selection as your derivatives. Or how old they are. Or if you have full custody of them. So many pertinent details missing.

Yes you can submit the I-130 form while outside the US, and yes it will take a couple of years for your children to complete the process and get issued with their IVs. You can stay outside the US for the duration of the process if you like but you need to be aware of things like you being considered to have abandoned your LPR status (if you stay out for so long without an approved re-entry permit), denial of your I-130 due to inability to demonstrate you meet the required financial obligations of the I-864 or demonstrate applicable domicile requirements, etc.

If you can afford to send your kids to private schools, they may be able to get F1 visas which enables them to legally stay in the US and attend schooling. Other than that, I can think of no other visas that will allow them to legally remain in the US while their I-130 is pending.

Thanks for all your clarification @Sm1smom much appreciated.

Perhaps I should get moving with the I-130 application then, if it's possible to do from outside the Country. Also good to know that there is an option with F1 Visas, I will look into it as another option.

Maybe I will need to chat to an immigration lawyer if there are more specifics to my circumstances that need to be addressed.

Once again, thanks for your help it gives me direction.

How long did it take between applying for the re-entry permit and receiving the USCIS confirmation?
Sorry. As I said, I’m not a frequent flyer around here. The docs were received by USCIS on 14 Sept and NOA date was 16 Sept. We also signed up for sms notifications and we received the sms on 19 Sept, which would’ve been too late for us (had the NOA date been the same). Luckily it worked out. If you decide to go for it, I would give it a week, just to be on the safe side and not go through all the stress we went through.

Interesting comment by someone (a Russian on an EB visa application who transferred to Riga) on another forum:

A few days ago I sent a follow-up email to the embassy and got the response that it is fully booked by DV people and there is no guarantee to schedule an interview for me until the DV program ends (30th of September).

I’m guessing Riga is quite a small embassy and so gettung it “fully booked” may not be too difficult but it’s interesting that they are prioritizing DV. Assume most of their DV applicants transferring there are Russian and Ukrainian.
How can I check this for the Embassy in Bucharest (Romania)?
I know about monthly visa issuance from travel.state.gov but how do I know if they have aplicants from Ukraine or Russia and not enough slots for Romanians?

good evening to all of you, first of all, I wish you a happy new year. I come to you once again because I have always found a solution with you. In fact, I had had the American lottery but I lived in Ukraine with my wife and my children in the country cameroon. now i am in the usa mainly in virginia i would like to know how is the procedure to recover my children in the usa. when i played the lottery they were in my file. if anyone has an idea how it works to recover my children in the USA my son has Ukrainian nationality and my daughter Cameroonian nationality. I do not speak English but French I would like to know how to find jobs where I will not need the language for a start, I am directed to a association which directs immigrants as I leave ukraine that they will help me for adoption but I refused because I am afraid that it plays on my application for nationality in the future and I am not Ukrainian but Cameroonian s with a permanent Ukrainian residence

I have been in the USA for 6 months and my wife gave birth. I would like to take this opportunity again to say thank you to you because it is thanks to your advice that I had the visa

good evening to all of you, first of all, I wish you a happy new year. I come to you once again because I have always found a solution with you. In fact, I had had the American lottery but I lived in Ukraine with my wife and my children in the country cameroon. now i am in the usa mainly in virginia i would like to know how is the procedure to recover my children in the usa. when i played the lottery they were in my file. if anyone has an idea how it works to recover my children in the USA my son has Ukrainian nationality and my daughter Cameroonian nationality. I do not speak English but French I would like to know how to find jobs where I will not need the language for a start, I am directed to a association which directs immigrants as I leave ukraine that they will help me for adoption but I refused because I am afraid that it plays on my application for nationality in the future and I am not Ukrainian but Cameroonian s with a permanent Ukrainian residence
Considering this is an English speaking country, highly unlikely you’ll find a job that does not require speaking English - this is something you should have taken into consideration when you decided to proceed with your DV selection. Anyway, depending on your qualifications, experience, and the type of work you’re looking for, you may be lucky enough to find something requiring minimal English speaking.

As for your children, you’ll need have to go through the family sponsor process. Start by reading the below link: