• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 OC Selectees

Not sure why some do/don't have them taken when entering. My understanding is that you are meant to have them taken, since they need them to produce the green card, only thing I can think of is maybe different airports have different procedures they follow, and in their minds it shouldn't matter if it's done right away or at the appointment since its an immigrant visa meaning you're meant to be living in the country anyway. But just speculating.

As far as "what happens if I get the letter and can't attend", Susie answered this recently here -

tldr was basically: "We don't know what happens, so we recommend you attend it". Since I attending it might cost you a round trip, where as not attending cause cost you your green card or a lot of money in fees/hassle on later maybe? But until someone doesn't attend one and updates on the forum, I guess we won't know :/
Thanks @BrisOC22. Sounds like it’s a wait-and-see type of situation then. Dang, I really wish they’d taken my prints at the POE. I am a little concerned about making another very short trip to the states just for biometrics, in case they flag me as not using the green card for its true purpose (ie living in the states permanently), whereas in reality I just need more time to tidy up stuff in Aus...:rolleyes:

Though, looking through this thread here it does look like some people don’t get prints taken at the POE at all, and they still get their green cards (and they use the prints they took at the interview)? @Acey did I understand that right from your experience?

I did get my biometrics taken in 2020 for a U.S. nonimmigrant work visa, but I assume those expire?

Thanks @BrisOC22. Sounds like it’s a wait-and-see type of situation then. Dang, I really wish they’d taken my prints at the POE. I am a little concerned about making another very short trip to the states just for biometrics, in case they flag me as not using the green card for its true purpose (ie living in the states permanently), whereas in reality I just need more time to tidy up stuff in Aus...:rolleyes:

Though, looking through this thread here it does look like some people don’t get prints taken at the POE at all, and they still get their green cards (and they use the prints they took at the interview)? @Acey did I understand that right from your experience?

I did get my biometrics taken in 2020 for a U.S. nonimmigrant work visa, but I assume those expire?

Yea from what I can remember they didn’t take my prints at the POE and my green card came through normally. My wife had to have a biometrics appointment tho.

She also had biometrics taken for a non immigrant visa in 2019, so guessing they can’t use those.

Yea from what I can remember they didn’t take my prints at the POE and my green card came through normally. My wife had to have a biometrics appointment tho.

She also had biometrics taken for a non immigrant visa in 2019, so guessing they can’t use those.
Cool cool thanks for the info.

I guess now I just have to wait and hope for the best!

There have been random instances of people being asked for PCCs if they’ve been somewhere longer than 6 months in instances where they officially only need for a year or more. Given how close your interview is to the end of the FY, if I were you I’d rather be safe than sorry and get one. Standard interview mantra applies: better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Are hard copies of afp police checks needed or should the online copy suffice for the interview

For those who went to Suva this year, did the embassy print your visa photo in your passport too light or faint? If yes, did you enter the US okay without any issues?

Not sure if it’s only happened to me, but Suva printed my photo extremely light where features aren’t distinguishable. Others I’ve shown said it’s ghost like. I’m worried there might be issues at POE. I’m planning my Hawaii trip close to my 6 months expiry in March, so I can’t afford to be refused at entry.

Do you think I should contact Sydney to have them take a physical look at it? I could email Suva since they’re the embassy who approved and printed it, but problem is when I email or scan the visa it automatically appears darker than how light it looks in real life so it’s not really portraying the issue.

For those who went to Suva this year, did the embassy print your visa photo in your passport too light or faint? If yes, did you enter the US okay without any issues?

Not sure if it’s only happened to me, but Suva printed my photo extremely light where features aren’t distinguishable. Others I’ve shown said it’s ghost like. I’m worried there might be issues at POE. I’m planning my Hawaii trip close to my 6 months expiry in March, so I can’t afford to be refused at entry.

Do you think I should contact Sydney to have them take a physical look at it? I could email Suva since they’re the embassy who approved and printed it, but problem is when I email or scan the visa it automatically appears darker than how light it looks in real life so it’s not really portraying the issue.
Yep our family of 3 all had very faint photos on the visas, we had no dramas at the POE though. The photos are still very faint on the physical green card too. I’m guessing worst case is they might just send you for a biometrics appointment after you arrive and retake the photo

Thanks to everyone who has posted here over the last few months - first time poster but long time viewer of this forum!

Apologies I am sure this has been asked before but I cannot find it.

We have been to the US and activated our green cards, which have now been sent and successfully received out our friends address. We are back home tying up some matters and will return to the US next year (within 12 months of entering and becoming LPRs). Do we need to get out friend to mail us our green cards to us before we re-enter or can we re-enter within 12 months with the visas in our passports (and then pick up the physical cards from our friends when we get there)?

If others have had their cards posted from the US (to Aus) have you just used fedex? Any recommendations welcome!

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has posted here over the last few months - first time poster but long time viewer of this forum!

Apologies I am sure this has been asked before but I cannot find it.

We have been to the US and activated our green cards, which have now been sent and successfully received out our friends address. We are back home tying up some matters and will return to the US next year (within 12 months of entering and becoming LPRs). Do we need to get out friend to mail us our green cards to us before we re-enter or can we re-enter within 12 months with the visas in our passports (and then pick up the physical cards from our friends when we get there)?

If others have had their cards posted from the US (to Aus) have you just used fedex? Any recommendations welcome!

Thanks
Congrats! Your endorsed visas are valid for re-entry for 12 months. You can also post it, I would definitely use Fedex or DHL.

Thank you! I assume a visa is “endorsed” once you have entered on it the first time, there’s nothing more to it to make it “endorsed”? Thanks in advance
The visa is “endorsed” when you enter on it and it gets “stamped” at the POE.

Yep our family of 3 all had very faint photos on the visas, we had no dramas at the POE though. The photos are still very faint on the physical green card too. I’m guessing worst case is they might just send you for a biometrics appointment after you arrive and retake the photo
Thank you. Which POE did you enter? Did your wife need to retake her photo when she received the biometrics appointment letter? Or was it only for her fingerprints?

I wonder why they printed our photos so light. Seems not to be everyone from Suva... as no one else here has commented. I was very careful to make sure my original photo was correct by all their requirements. That’s a shame it’s very faint on the physical green card too. Does the card look okay enough to use as photo ID within the US? Hope so.

Thank you. Which POE did you enter? Did your wife need to retake her photo when she received the biometrics appointment letter? Or was it only for her fingerprints?

I wonder why they printed our photos so light. Seems not to be everyone from Suva... as no one else here has commented. I was very careful to make sure my original photo was correct by all their requirements. That’s a shame it’s very faint on the physical green card too. Does the card look okay enough to use as photo ID within the US? Hope so.
We entered at LAX. Yep my wife had to get her photo and fingerprints taken again.

I haven’t had any problems using it as ID so far, though I normally just use my driver licence for photo ID unless they ask for the green card

For those who entered through Hawaii, did they take any biometrics upon entry?

Would another short biometrics appointment trip to the US then compromise the 12 month grace period we get for the first year after activating? That’s my biggest concern.

For those who entered through Hawaii, did they take any biometrics upon entry?

Would another short biometrics appointment trip to the US then compromise the 12 month grace period we get for the first year after activating? That’s my biggest concern.
There’s no such thing as a 12 month “grace period”. There are allowed absences once you become an LPR. Please see https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af.../international-travel-as-a-permanent-resident , especially the section “Does travel outside the United States affect my permanent resident status?”

There’s no such thing as a 12 month “grace period”. There are allowed absences once you become an LPR. Please see https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af.../international-travel-as-a-permanent-resident , especially the section “Does travel outside the United States affect my permanent resident status?”
Yes, I have read that. Been told countless times that the first 12 months they are most lenient if you’re outside the US for the maximum time. For subsequent years, it’s best to do under 6 months absence. If you have multiple trips back and forth to your home county, it can look like you’re using the green card as a travel visa rather than permanent residency. My concern is whether a 2nd trip into the US post activation to do biometrics would be regarded as the “settling” trip. And then when I enter a 3rd time later in the 12 month period, the border control officer may question me.