• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hi @Sm1smom,

I got my green card back in July 2021 through DV2021. As my previous status was F1 and I completed the green card process while being in the United States, do I need to go to the US Embassy when I visit home before traveling back to the US or Im good to come back to the US whenever I want with my green card?
Nope, you no longer need to visit the embassy or apply for a visa before returning to the US. All you need are your GC and international passport.

Hello everyone two questions please,

I am expecting to receive my interview letter soon which will probably be scheduled for January or February

1) Should I file my 2021 taxes before the interview?

2) Irs Tax Transcript is generated after you file correct?

Best,

Leo

Hello everyone two questions please,

I am expecting to receive my interview letter soon which will probably be scheduled for January or February

1) Should I file my 2021 taxes before the interview?

2) Irs Tax Transcript is generated after you file correct?

Best,

Leo
1. When you file your taxes is a personal call. So you can file as soon as the IRS declares the tax season open if you like.
2. IRS Tax Transcript is generated after the IRS accepts your tax filing.

Hi everyone! Happy new year!

I just wanted to share my experience with I-90 ( getting a replacement card) in case this is helpful for anyone here on in the future.

As I previously mentioned, due to my error on the application of I-485( see here, https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2021-aos-only.342993/page-586#post-2570228) , I had to replace my green card immediately.

I fought and managed to get an appointment with USCIS after 2 months.

(See here. https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2021-aos-only.342993/page-604#post-2575043)

However here are my new learnings, well at least for my case.

1)I went to the appointment to get an I-551 stamp for my upcoming international travel. However, after showing my green card that has my swapped name, the officer told me that I do not need I-551 stamp if you have an actual green card with the swapped name. Because the error was caused by me initially, I did not have to send in my GC for I-90. At the end, the officer told me I am good to come back as long as I have my GC, I-90 notice, my passport and my past work visa, which is E-2 in my case. The officer also told me that the error is so minor and they can see my real name in their system because of my past visa history + passport.

2)The officer also did mention that even if the error was caused by me initially, if I had mentioned that error and asked to fix it during the interview, I can still call it as USCIS’s error. Therefore, I should have not paid the fees + should have sent my GC for a replacement. However, I explained my understanding of the situation, and the officer was ok with it. (I guess you could go either way if you are in my shoes?)

3)Lastly, I did go on an international travel in December, and I came back to the states with my GC, passport & I-90. I was able to enter without any issue at all.

I hope this might be helpful in the future if anyone is in my shoes!

Regarding my I-90 application process, I have one question for mom @Sm1smom

On my USCIS portal, it says that the estimate time for decision for my case is 1 week. ( say 1/10 roughly) In the first week of February, my lease is ending and I’m planning on going remote for a while, staying at Airbnb, so I would not have a physical address for my house.

If my new GC would not arrive in time before the lease ends, what should I do with the address registered for USCIS so I can safely receive it? Anyone have done this before? Use my friend’s address who can certainly stay home and receive it? Or Use a USCIS PO Box? Would love to know any best practices here. It seems such a bad timing for me… Thank you!

Hi everyone! Happy new year!

I just wanted to share my experience with I-90 ( getting a replacement card) in case this is helpful for anyone here on in the future.

As I previously mentioned, due to my error on the application of I-485( see here, https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2021-aos-only.342993/page-586#post-2570228) , I had to replace my green card immediately.

I fought and managed to get an appointment with USCIS after 2 months.

(See here. https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2021-aos-only.342993/page-604#post-2575043)

However here are my new learnings, well at least for my case.

1)I went to the appointment to get an I-551 stamp for my upcoming international travel. However, after showing my green card that has my swapped name, the officer told me that I do not need I-551 stamp if you have an actual green card with the swapped name. Because the error was caused by me initially, I did not have to send in my GC for I-90. At the end, the officer told me I am good to come back as long as I have my GC, I-90 notice, my passport and my past work visa, which is E-2 in my case. The officer also told me that the error is so minor and they can see my real name in their system because of my past visa history + passport.

2)The officer also did mention that even if the error was caused by me initially, if I had mentioned that error and asked to fix it during the interview, I can still call it as USCIS’s error. Therefore, I should have not paid the fees + should have sent my GC for a replacement. However, I explained my understanding of the situation, and the officer was ok with it. (I guess you could go either way if you are in my shoes?)

3)Lastly, I did go on an international travel in December, and I came back to the states with my GC, passport & I-90. I was able to enter without any issue at all.

I hope this might be helpful in the future if anyone is in my shoes!
This is quite helpful to us(my family). We also had an error (caused by us) on our daughter's date of birth. We tried to explain during the interview but somehow the IO mentioned that she had fixed the error from her end. However, when the 3 cards came, hers still had the error. We embarked on the I-90 process in September 2021.

On my USCIS portal, it says that the estimate time for decision for my case is 1 week. ( say 1/10 roughly) In the first week of February, my lease is ending and I’m planning on going remote for a while, staying at Airbnb, so I would not have a physical address for my house.

If my new GC would not arrive in time before the lease ends, what should I do with the address registered for USCIS so I can safely receive it? Anyone have done this before? Use my friend’s address who can certainly stay home and receive it? Or Use a USCIS PO Box? Would love to know any best practices here. It seems such a bad timing for me… Thank you!
I am not @Sm1smom, but if I were you, I would stay put in the current address UNTIL I receive my physical GC in the mail even if I extend the lease for a couple of months.

By the way, our daughter's online account also says that the estimate time for decision of her case is 1 week as of today (1/05)

PS: 1. You don't know who will move into the current address
2. It's NOT WORTH changing the address at USCIS when the card is a week away.

This is quite helpful to us(my family). We also had an error (caused by us) on our daughter's date of birth. We tried to explain during the interview but somehow the IO mentioned that she had fixed the error from her end. However, when the 3 cards came, hers still had the error. We embarked on the I-90 process in September 2021.
glad this is somehow helpful for you!

I am not @Sm1smom, but if I were you, I would stay put in the current address UNTIL I receive my physical GC in the mail even if I extend the lease for a couple of months.

By the way, our daughter's online account also says that the estimate time for decision of her case is 1 week as of today (1/05)

Mine also says the estimated time for a decision is a week. If that is true, I should be able to receive it before I move out, but not sure if the timeline is actually true.....

Hi Mom @Sm1smom, I am very curious to hear what your thoughts are on this. Thank you so much in advance!

Hi Mom @Sm1smom, I am very curious to hear what your thoughts are on this. Thank you so much in advance!
In general, you’re expected to keep USCSI updated of your address whenever you move as a LPR.
Regarding the GC, USPS does not deliver the GC to a P.O.Box AFAIK. If you consider your friend’s address as your address for mail purpose, then you can provide that to USCIS and hope their reconcile your records with the new address before the GC gets mailed out.

In general, you’re expected to keep USCSI updated of your address whenever you move as a LPR.
Regarding the GC, USPS does not deliver the GC to a P.O.Box AFAIK. If you consider your friend’s address as your address for mail purpose, then you can provide that to USCIS and hope their reconcile your records with the new address before the GC gets mailed out.

Thank you Mom for your thoughts! great to know that I can't use a P.O. Box. Appreciate it as always!

Btw, my online status was saying it is estimated to be 1 week until my case decision is made as of last week but now, it is gone and just saying next milestone is receive your case decision. We shall see!

Sorry, this might be a dumb question, but when changing the address, it is ok to change it to another state and it should affect/confuse my application in any way? Is that right? I decided to stay at my friend's house for a few months in another state and thinking to use his address.

I know when I was doing I-485, the case was assigned to the local USCIS for an interview, but not sure if that is also true to I-90, and I would rather avoid any confusion if that is the case and find a friend who lives in the same state.

Thank you!

Sorry, this might be a dumb question, but when changing the address, it is ok to change it to another state and it should affect/confuse my application in any way? Is that right? I decided to stay at my friend's house for a few months in another state and thinking to use his address.

I know when I was doing I-485, the case was assigned to the local USCIS for an interview, but not sure if that is also true to I-90, and I would rather avoid any confusion if that is the case and find a friend who lives in the same state.

Thank you!
No impact.

Btw, my online status was saying it is estimated to be 1 week until my case decision is made as of last week but now, it is gone and just saying next milestone is receive your case decision. We shall see!
Same case with ours! Can only patiently wait

Hi Mom , quick question , when changing address on the green card , do we need to mail AR11 or just submitting online is sufficient enough?