• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

I went over it and read the comments about the early filing in the spreadsheet and even I read the memorandum about it, but I did not fully understand it, to be honest!
So what precisely about Early Filing is it you do not understand after going through all the resources? You need to be more specific with what you are struggling to understand in order to be better guided.

1. OPT based EAD card application and AOS application have no known effect on each other. You can send your AOS package as soon as you are eligible for based on the advance notification section of VB, as long as you have a valid status in US (considering early filling risks based on the spreadsheet etc. etc.). I would personally go ahead with my OPT extension, so that I don't file my AOS while on pending OPT and so that I don't endanger my valid status here regardless of GC.

2. I believe this answer best serves your question.
Thanks for your input @Blade_ !

I believe I will choose the first option and do early filling once the December VB comes out. Hopefully, this will not be the case but worst case scenario I have to re-submit my package when my DV number listed as current and I have my updated F1 based EAD card, correct?. My package is ready with the I-693 form signed last week, cashiers check, and all the documents listed on the AOS Process Spreadsheet.

I am writing a little note on the copy of my EAD card that says "After my F1 based EAD expiration date, I qualify for the additional 24 months OPT Stem Extension" (See USCIS information next page). Which is also my backup status to which I will be applying parallelly with my AOS. Will bring both old and new EAD cards to the interview

Anxiety is taking over me :); best of luck to all appliers!

Thanks for your input @Blade_ !

I believe I will choose the first option and do early filling once the December VB comes out. Hopefully, this will not be the case but worst case scenario I have to re-submit my package when my DV number listed as current and I have my updated F1 based EAD card, correct?. My package is ready with the I-693 form signed last week, cashiers check, and all the documents listed on the AOS Process Spreadsheet.

I am writing a little note on the copy of my EAD card that says "After my F1 based EAD expiration date, I qualify for the additional 24 months OPT Stem Extension" (See USCIS information next page). Which is also my backup status to which I will be applying parallelly with my AOS. Will bring both old and new EAD cards to the interview

Anxiety is taking over me :); best of luck to all appliers!
All that long story is not required. Don’t draw unnecessary attention to yourself, this could be misunderstood and subsequently lead to unnecessary delays. Forgot about adding any “note”. Add a new copy of the EAD card in place of what you currently have. Don’t provide unsolicited information - 2nd rule to observe when it comes to immigration (first rule is to never lie).

All that long story is not required. Don’t draw unnecessary attention to yourself, this could be misunderstood and subsequently lead to unnecessary delays. Forgot about adding any “note”. Add a new copy of the EAD card in place of what you currently have. Don’t provide unsolicited information - 2nd rule to observe when it comes to immigration (first rule is to never lie).
Thank you @Sm1smom, I'll follow your advise and not provide any unsolicited information.

I will file early my application with a copy of my current EAD Card expiring in February and bring the updated to the interview.

Once again thanks for all your guidance through the process; will keep everyone updated :)

Are you talking about the Memo line, or the section for who the check is payable to? You should be fine if it is just the Memo line that got messed up.
The check doesn't have "Memo" line. I was told to write it near "FOR:" section.
The check is bellow, I just masked everything distinguishable and highlighted the messed letters).

Once again I'm really sorry for such stupid question. It's my second time paying by a check and the first time adding something by hand.
screenshot_0011_1.jpg

The check is bellow, I just masked everything distinguishable and highlighted the messed letters).

Once again I'm really sorry for such stupid question. It's my second time paying by a check and the first time adding something by hand.
View attachment 3126
My check looks almost identical with my name listed on the Remitter line (Person at the bank told me she could not add my 2nd last name which is the name under which my application is, she said the bank has to use the exact name that they have on file, so will probably leave it like that or I could write it with a pen).
I believe yours should be good

Last edited:

View attachment 3126
I see, you’re talking about a Cashier’s Check, and not a Personal Check. That shouldn’t be a problem.

So what precisely about Early Filing is it you do not understand after going through all the resources? You need to be more specific with what you are struggling to understand in order to be better guided.
My question is super simple. If my case number be expected to be current in May 2022. How early can I go for the filing based on the Memorandum referred by on the spreadsheet?

My question is super simple. If my case number be expected to be current in May 2022. How early can I go for the filing based on the Memorandum referred by on the spreadsheet?
The answer is also simple and explained in both the spreadsheet and the memorandum. As soon as your number is published in the advance notification section of the visa bulletin, you can file. For example in the visa bulletin published mid October, called the November visa bulletin, they published the advance notification DV numbers for December https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...tin/2022/visa-bulletin-for-november-2021.html. As soon as that bulletin was published in October, those listed under the December cutoffs were able to file.

And the answer to that question is also "super simple". Like Susie already responded above, the Memorandum you referenced clearly explains that. Anyone who bothers to take their time to go through the 7 pages of that Memo, will find the "super simple" answer there. The Memo even has a an easy to follow clear example with a CN!

For those who for one reason or do other cannot go through the 7 page Memo, a couple of sections on the AOS Process spreadsheet has done a fantastic job (yes, IMO) of breaking it down. Here's an example, from the AOS FAQ tab:

What is Early Filing?: "Early filing" is the filing of applications for AOS, approximately 50 to 60 days in advance of actual DV visa availability. The Advanced Notification section of the VB enables persons to file their Form I-485 applications prior to the time a DV visa becomes “immediately available.” - If your CN is listed under the Advanced Notification of the VB (SECTION C), you may wish to take advantage of this and send in your AOS package early (following the VB release). ** You can read more about "Early Filing" from the linked 2013 Policy Memorandum -Early Filing Memo SIDE NOTE: Early filing may have potential consequences - see below" (and there are at least 4 subsequent questions/answers dealing about Early Filing following what I quoted above).

If you cannot make your own decision as to precisely when to file, given the wealth of information you've already been provided with, maybe you need to hire an immigration lawyer and have them make all the decisions on your behalf. Or just wait until the actual month in which your CN becomes current before filing.

Hi,

For your Early Filing, do you mind to share what is your CN number? Just wanted to know why you took the risk to do the early filing
If you look at posters histories over the last few years, the risk of early filing is low. Yes, some people have issues, most (probably the vast vast majority) don’t.
It's in my signature. EU6xxx, had my own reasons to do so.
FYI signatures don’t show up on mobile phones for those accessing the site there

Hi everyone,
I have a quick question. Is Alien registration number (A-number) the same as the USCIS# in the EAD card? Thanks again!

Hi all,

i 'm applying for AOS under dv lottery winner, i can see the fee it's $1.1140,00 . Are the $85 of biometric included it? if not should i add it and make just one check? or two separated checks.

thanks much for your help

Hi Everyone! @Sm1smom @SusieQQQ

It seems like my husband (main applicant, in the US) and I (derivative, in Japan) will be going the AOS then FTJ route after all.

The scarcity of recorded FTJ cases is a bit worrying so we are trying to collect as much info as we can to help us out through the process. Our CN is AS8XXX and so we are thinking we may be current around March/April, hard to tell for sure. We haven't filed DS-260 yet since my husband will be moving to another state in December and we don't want to send then unlock and cause any delays (as suggested by mom) since time is of the essence here. I read through all the previous FTJ posts and timeline many times but I feel like I still have many gaps in my understanding of the process. I asked EMMA but it gave me general info and not much details.

We were wondering if there are any resources that you suggest we use to help us out. My current questions are
1- How different would the DS-260 filling be for us both being AOS vs doing AOS then FTJ?
2- It seems like I need to send DS-260 as well. Do we send 2 separate emails? Should I do it at the same time my husband does it? (probably January)
3- Is it possible to include some sort of cover letter when filing to inform KCC of the fact that we are going to do FTJ and we need to do it within the FY? It seems like they ask for derivative AOS fee always and that might cause delays. Is there anyway to smooth that wrinkle out?

We actually spoke to a lawyer that told us she doesn't take FTJ cases because they are very complicated and the outcome is very hard to predict, which I knew was true, but it made my heart sink nevertheless.

Thank you all as always. Any resources/experience/answers would be appreciate. We will follow up with everyone throughout our journey. May the odds be ever in our (and yinz') favor!

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate it if anyone could answer a short question. If I summited I-485 along with I-765 and I-131, would each application be processed separately in parallel at the same time or would I-485 completion have any dependencies on the others? Basically, I'd like to know if submitting multiple forms would delay the I-485 process in general? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
And the answer to that question is also "super simple". Like Susie already responded above, the Memorandum you referenced clearly explains that. Anyone who bothers to take their time to go through the 7 pages of that Memo, will find the "super simple" answer there. The Memo even has a an easy to follow clear example with a CN!

For those who for one reason or do other cannot go through the 7 page Memo, a couple of sections on the AOS Process spreadsheet has done a fantastic job (yes, IMO) of breaking it down. Here's an example, from the AOS FAQ tab:

What is Early Filing?: "Early filing" is the filing of applications for AOS, approximately 50 to 60 days in advance of actual DV visa availability. The Advanced Notification section of the VB enables persons to file their Form I-485 applications prior to the time a DV visa becomes “immediately available.” - If your CN is listed under the Advanced Notification of the VB (SECTION C), you may wish to take advantage of this and send in your AOS package early (following the VB release). ** You can read more about "Early Filing" from the linked 2013 Policy Memorandum -Early Filing Memo SIDE NOTE: Early filing may have potential consequences - see below" (and there are at least 4 subsequent questions/answers dealing about Early Filing following what I quoted above).

If you cannot make your own decision as to precisely when to file, given the wealth of information you've already been provided with, maybe you need to hire an immigration lawyer and have them make all the decisions on your behalf. Or just wait until the actual month in which your CN becomes current before filing.
Thank you . this is clear.