• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Great thank you.

There is no such thing as “just transiting” the US, in the sense that there are no sterile transit areas where you bypass CBP- you always go through immigration. This effectively means that yes, you can validate it and get on your next flight.

Could someone spell it out for me please? I am confused yes I have watched britsimons last live I’m just brain dead at the moment... My visa will expire mid March and I’m currently recovering from injuries so cannot fly out ASAP. Can I still go after my expiry date because of the orders from judge metah? Any response is greatly appreciated chur

Hi, are DV 2020 visa holder covered by NIE, if they depart from a NON Schengen country but transit in a Schengen country? Cuz actually im getting different answers for the same Q . Thank you

Hi, are DV 2020 visa holder covered by NIE, if they depart from a NON Schengen country but transit in a Schengen country? Cuz actually im getting different answers for the same Q . Thank you
The NIE covers both instances. That’s kind of the point of it... however- I’d suggest you take a copy of the DoS page detailing the NIE - don’t be surprised if airline staff don’t know about it and want to prevent you boarding. You may need to go to a supervisor at the airline.

Could someone spell it out for me please? I am confused yes I have watched britsimons last live I’m just brain dead at the moment... My visa will expire mid March and I’m currently recovering from injuries so cannot fly out ASAP. Can I still go after my expiry date because of the orders from judge metah? Any response is greatly appreciated chur

The answer is “yes but”. Try if at all possible to travel before expiry even if just to activate. The DoS page says :

individuals who received diversity visas in 2020 as a result of orders in the court case Gomez v. Trump may travel to the United States on an expired visa as the court ordered the government to treat these visas as though they were issued on the date P.P. 10014 was rescinded. The court did not specify for how long the visas would be considered valid. Additionally, it may be possible that the court order could be changed or modified in some important respect. Therefore, applicants wishing to benefit from the order are encouraged to travel as soon as practicable as the order could change.

The NIE covers both instances. That’s kind of the point of it... however- I’d suggest you take a copy of the DoS page detailing the NIE - don’t be surprised if airline staff don’t know about it and want to prevent you boarding. You may need to go to a supervisor at the airline.

Thank you Susie. I booked the flight with a layover to Frankfurt, but i have been advised from the airline "United Airlines" to get approval from the embassy to board. :confused:

Thank you Susie. I booked the flight with a layover to Frankfurt, but i have been advised from the airline "United Airlines" to get approval from the embassy to board. :confused:
It’s certainly worth asking them as the NIE is so limited, I’d say print out the DoS page just in case, and be prepared to argue up the line of superiority at the airline if necessary.

The answer is “yes but”. Try if at all possible to travel before expiry even if just to activate. The DoS page says :

individuals who received diversity visas in 2020 as a result of orders in the court case Gomez v. Trump may travel to the United States on an expired visa as the court ordered the government to treat these visas as though they were issued on the date P.P. 10014 was rescinded. The court did not specify for how long the visas would be considered valid. Additionally, it may be possible that the court order could be changed or modified in some important respect. Therefore, applicants wishing to benefit from the order are encouraged to travel as soon as practicable as the order could change.
Thanks SusieQQQ I wish it were that easy! I’m from Australia so going and activating the GC is not that easy there are 40,000 Aussies currently trying to return home and flights are very limited thanks for the info appreciate your response cheers

Thanks SusieQQQ I wish it were that easy! I’m from Australia so going and activating the GC is not that easy there are 40,000 Aussies currently trying to return home and flights are very limited thanks for the info appreciate your response cheers
Theres an OC thread here where people have been talking about how to get on flights etc, not sure if you’ve seen it

I am DV2021 AS23XXX, and I have couple of questions.

1. I had consulted Brit Simon regarding filing the DS-260 and he agreed that I should wait and see how things move forward because filing the DS-260 would mean “Immigration Intent” which might effect future visa application. Considering the latest advancement, should I file the DS-260 or wait a little longer.
2. When I applied for the DV I included myself and my wife and I won the lottery being the prime applicant. Now me and my wife are separated but it is not official, and making it official might take more than six months. Should I file her DS-260 or not? If I choose not to file her DS-260, would it effect my application?

I am DV2021 AS23XXX, and I have couple of questions.

1. I had consulted Brit Simon regarding filing the DS-260 and he agreed that I should wait and see how things move forward because filing the DS-260 would mean “Immigration Intent” which might effect future visa application. Considering the latest advancement, should I file the DS-260 or wait a little longer.
2. When I applied for the DV I included myself and my wife and I won the lottery being the prime applicant. Now me and my wife are separated but it is not official, and making it official might take more than six months. Should I file her DS-260 or not? If I choose not to file her DS-260, would it effect my application?

2. As long as you are principal, not filing for your wife will not affect your application. (In fact if you are separating, even if not official yet, she shouldn’t be getting a derivative visa as your spouse.)

2. As long as you are principal, not filing for your wife will not affect your application. (In fact if you are separating, even if not official yet, she shouldn’t be getting a derivative visa as your spouse.)
Thank you Susie. In my application (DS-260), should I mention married or divorced? I wont be able to get the divorce certificate any time soon.

Thank you Susie. In my application (DS-260), should I mention married or divorced? I wont be able to get the divorce certificate any time soon.
You should list whatever is the legal status at the time you submit it. You are not obliged to bring any derivative with you.