Processing time for green card based on asylum

One more question. Did you already have your asylum interview? I got ead a year ago for 2 years. Can't believe they make it back to 1 year.

You will be shocked that my asylum has been approved already a year ago, but still, I got one year. I am currently waiting for my green card. I have a friend who is waiting for asylum and they also gave me one year.

What is rtd?

RTD: Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571)

USCIS issues refugee travel documents to people with refugee or asylum status and to lawful permanent residents who obtained their Green Cards based on their refugee or asylee status to travel abroad in lieu of COP passport

Looks like this

refugee-travel-document.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 11.44.47 PM.png
Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571)

I have applied RTD 3 times. The first one took more than 9 months, and it was already 11 months valid when received.

Last edited:
You will be shocked that my asylum had been approved already a year ago, but still, I got one year. I am currently waiting for my green card. I have a friend who is waiting for asylum, and they also gave me one year.

RTD is offered for a year. It was decided by immigration law it been like that and subject of all the academic and policy issues how it disenfranchises immigrants and their mobility.

http://jlsp.law.columbia.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2019/01/Vol52-Sosa.pdf

Last edited:
USCIS Updates Discretionary Criteria for Case-by-Case Interview Determinations of Adjustment of Status Applications Based on Refugee or Asylee Status 

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services today announced updated guidance (PDF, 319.68 KB) expanding the discretionary criteria USCIS officers use to determine whether to interview applicants filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, based on refugee or asylee status.
The updated criteria are well within the parameters of USCIS’ regulatory authority to determine, on a case-by-case basis, whether an interview is necessary to determine the admissibility of an alien applying for lawful permanent resident status under INA § 209. The updates do not change the eligibility requirements to adjust status. 
The list of interview criteria can be found in the Policy Manual, Volume 7, Part L, Chapter 5, Part B. The updated list provides greater parity with the criteria USCIS applies in determining whether to interview other adjustments of status applicants. Each determination by USCIS to waive or require an interview will continue to be made at the discretion of the USCIS officer on a case-by-case basis. While the updated criteria may result in more applicants requested to appear for an interview, the changes are necessary to help ensure program integrity and support USCIS’ efforts to detect and prevent fraud and risks of harm to the United States.

From USCIS: https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/u...ase-interview-determinations-of-adjustment-of

USCIS Updates Discretionary Criteria for Case-by-Case Interview Determinations of Adjustment of Status Applications Based on Refugee or Asylee Status 

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services today announced updated guidance (PDF, 319.68 KB) expanding the discretionary criteria USCIS officers use to determine whether to interview applicants filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, based on refugee or asylee status.
The updated criteria are well within the parameters of USCIS’ regulatory authority to determine, on a case-by-case basis, whether an interview is necessary to determine the admissibility of an alien applying for lawful permanent resident status under INA § 209. The updates do not change the eligibility requirements to adjust status. 
The list of interview criteria can be found in the Policy Manual, Volume 7, Part L, Chapter 5, Part B. The updated list provides greater parity with the criteria USCIS applies in determining whether to interview other adjustments of status applicants. Each determination by USCIS to waive or require an interview will continue to be made at the discretion of the USCIS officer on a case-by-case basis. While the updated criteria may result in more applicants requested to appear for an interview, the changes are necessary to help ensure program integrity and support USCIS’ efforts to detect and prevent fraud and risks of harm to the United States.

From USCIS: https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/u...ase-interview-determinations-of-adjustment-of

applies to adjustment applications filed on or after December 15, 2020.

Hello. Please tell me the address where you need to send documents on I-485 at the stop of obtaining asylum more than 1 year ago. Shipping from California.

Hello. Please tell me the address where you need to send documents on I-485 at the stop of obtaining asylum more than 1 year ago. Shipping from California.
Привет, тебе надо сюда братан.

USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

USCIS
PO Box 21281
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: NFB AOS
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034

удачи!

My friend applied for GC on July 7th, 2020 and today his status changed to New card is being produced.

Also, I know people who are still waiting from April and May of 2020 without updates.

Do you have any idea which Center is processing his case? This is pretty fast.

Because a lot of asylee applicant's had their fingerprints applied to their cases on July 17th I predict that whoever is in charge of this applications is going to process them in bulk. So I think a number of applicants of 2020 will have something (approval or RFE) in coming week or two.

Because a lot of asylee applicant's had their fingerprints applied to their cases on July 17th I predict that whoever is in charge of this applications is going to process them in bulk. So I think a number of applicants of 2020 will have something (approval or RFE) in coming week or two.

His case is pretty fast compared to other cases that I have seen. Did USCIS use his previous fingerprints or he had to submit a new fingerprint? I submitted my application in September and they reused my previous fingerprint. Still waiting for any update.