Processing time for green card based on asylum

We didn't reapply under C09 because the attorney said it would be an additional $410, and like you said, it's really not necessary to have the EAD, so I declined. But I would like to have it just in case since the Green Card is taking so long.

Makes total sense. I would not have paid $410 for it either. I would suggest that you go ahead and reapply for it again under A05 since you paid for your GC. Use your GC receipt as proof of payment. I don't think you need a lawyer for that. It's pretty straight forward. I did everything myself--I think it may help since GC is now taking forever. You lose nothing to reapply--except a few hours to put the application together.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm getting my wires crossed. For the sake of clarity... We had originally applied under C09. And the EAD was denied because it was supposed to be under A05. At that point, my attorney surmised that since I was now applying for a 2nd EAD as an asylee, and not for a 1st EAD under AOS, that the fee applied.

@Asylee1983 was this your 1st or 2nd EAD?

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm getting my wires crossed. For the sake of clarity... We had originally applied under C09. And the EAD was denied because it was supposed to be under A05. At that point, my attorney surmised that since I was now applying for a 2nd EAD as an asylee, and not for a 1st EAD under AOS, that the fee applied.

@Asylee1983 was this your 1st or 2nd EAD?

Thanks for the clarity @zman44. It makes more sense why your EAD was denied. We are in a very similar situation. This was my second EAD. I got the first one after my asylum was approved. USCIS changes their policies all the time---your lawyer was correct when he said A05 has to pay. However, the policy was changed not long ago to state that we can apply under A05 and not pay any fee. In October there was another change that was to go into effect, but a Judge blocked the changes in fees. To the best of my knowledge, at this point, we can still apply under A05 without paying the fees.

Thanks for the clarity @zman44. It makes more sense why your EAD was denied. We are in a very similar situation. This was my second EAD. I got the first one after my asylum was approved. USCIS changes their policies all the time---your lawyer was correct when he said A05 has to pay. However, the policy was changed not long ago to state that we can apply under A05 and not pay any fee. In October there was another change that was to go into effect, but a Judge blocked the changes in fees. To the best of my knowledge, at this point, we can still apply under A05 without paying the fees.

This is what I thought too. But when I asked my attorney, he shot me down. While he is very knowledgeable and detailed (I know my asylum wouldn't be possible without him), he is a bit older and I think he's overworked. So it's possible the whole new policy went over his head. I kinda wanna apply on my own to see what happens but I don't want to antagonize him or complicate things if I mess up, LOL.

This is what I thought too. But when I asked my attorney, he shot me down. While he is very knowledgeable and detailed (I know my asylum wouldn't be possible without him), he is a bit older and I think he's overworked. So it's possible the whole new policy went over his head. I kinda wanna apply on my own to see what happens but I don't want to antagonize him or complicate things if I mess up, LOL.

haha true. Better not apply without his knowledge. Hopefully, you will get the GC soon enough. Fingers crossed.

03/30/20 - I-485 package mailed.
04/03/20 - USCIS charged Credit Card for $1,225.
04/10/20 - Received 797s for I-485, I-765, & I-131.
04/10/20 - I-765 updated online to reflect fingerprints were applied to the case.
04/17/20 - I-485 updated online to reflect fingerprints were applied to the case.
04/23/20 - Received letter indicating FP were applied to both I-485 & I-765 and therefore a biometrics appointment wasn't necessary.
05/22/20 - I-693 Medical Exam was delivered to USCIS Nebraska without RFE.
06/02/20 - Received text/email notification I-765 has been denied.
06/04/20 - Received letter from USCIS denying I-765.
10/03/20 - I-131 updated online to reflect fingerprints were applied to the case. Only received email, no text.
10/29/20 - Received 797 fingerprint appointment for I-131.
11/10/20 - Completed FP appointment for I-131.
12/08/20 - Status changed to "RTD was produced." Only received email, no text.
12/14/20 - RTD received. It's the new "enhanced" version. It's still only good for one year. =(

04/10/20 - I-765 updated online to reflect fingerprints were applied to the case.
04/17/20 - I-485 updated online to reflect fingerprints were applied to the case.
04/23/20 - Received letter indicating FP were applied to both I-485 & I-765 and therefore a biometrics appointment wasn't necessary.
10/03/20 - I-131 updated online to reflect fingerprints were applied to the case. Only received email, no text.
12/14/20 - RTD received. It's the new "enhanced" version. It's still only good for one year. =(

Very sad that we have to pay for RTD every year. I wish they can one day change this to 5 years. You will be shocked that I also received my EAD today and surprisingly, it's also valid for one year instead of two years as usual. Unbelievable :(

Very sad that we have to pay for RTD every year. I wish they can one day change this to 5 years. You will be shocked that I also received my EAD today and surprisingly, it's also valid for one year instead of two years as usual. Unbelievable :(
Oh my gosh. This is just disgusting. Yeah, I'm going to start using my passport as soon as I get the GC. The US RTD is useless. Most countries require a 6 month validity when you enter. This means the RTD is really only good for 6 months. This one took 9 months to come in. It takes longer to apply for an get it than it is good for. Absolute garbage like the rest of this administration.

Oh my gosh. This is just disgusting. Yeah, I'm going to start using my passport as soon as I get the GC. The US RTD is useless. Most countries require a 6 month validity when you enter. This means the RTD is really only good for 6 months. This one took 9 months to come in. It takes longer to apply for an get it than it is good for. Absolute garbage like the rest of this administration.

I agree with you. Total garbage.

CONGRATULATIONS !!

One year EAD? This is shocking when they are talking so long to process the GC.