N600 after US passport, for my minor kids

manud

I and my wife are US naturalized citizens. We applied for US passports for our kids ( 12 , 14 years) and they were issued . The passport agency kept the kids' Green Cards.
We did not receive any letter from US passport office , stating they are retaining the GC.
US passport office representatives, cannot extend/send letter to say what happened to Green Cards or if they forwarded GCs to USCIS or any other agency.

Now when applying for kids N600, US naturalization certificate , we do not have any GC to surrender to USCIS . Anybody came across this problem and how should I proceed on this ?
I only have a photocopy of the kids GC.

USCIS knows DoS keeps the green cards on passport issuance and anyway, if you have the passports for the kids that is pretty much all you need for the N600. File online and the photocopies will be sufficient anyway when they ask you to upload documents. And the letter that DoS sent to my kid to say they kept the green card was generic, it’s not addressed to an individual anyway. It’s really not going to be a problem.
Note the kids 14 and over will be asked to say an oath when they pick up the N600 certificates.

USCIS knows DoS keeps the green cards on passport issuance and anyway, if you have the passports for the kids that is pretty much all you need for the N600. File online and the photocopies will be sufficient anyway when they ask you to upload documents. And the letter that DoS sent to my kid to say they kept the green card was generic, it’s not addressed to an individual anyway. It’s really not going to be a problem.
Note the kids 14 and over will be asked to say an oath when they pick up the N600 certificates.

Thank you very much.
I have two questions

1. Would you remember by any chance, summary of DoS statement in the letter, to say what they were doing with GC , if they were forwarding it to USCIS ?
2. In Form N600 , Part 2 , 14C , in our case , should the kids ( we) be applying as "US Citizen" ? I ask this , since "US citizen" is not an option in this form , so we choose "other" and write "US citizen".

Thank you very much.
I have two questions

1. Would you remember by any chance, summary of DoS statement in the letter, to say what they were doing with GC , if they were forwarding it to USCIS ?
2. In Form N600 , Part 2 , 14C , in our case , should the kids ( we) be applying as "US Citizen" ? I ask this , since "US citizen" is not an option in this form , so we choose "other" and write "US citizen".

1. As I remember all they said was that they were retaining it as it was no longer needed and the passport would be proof of citizenship for any purpose. I don’t recall any other details.
2. By definition anyone applying for N600 is a US citizen, it is just a proof of status. So yeah tbh not sure actually what the question is asking. I don’t recall what we answered for that one.... sorry.

For clarification , I meant that would my kids would be "US citizens" or "Legal Permanent resident", since they have US Passport and not GC, for filling part 2 , question 14C.
Its okay. Thanks for your help.

Even if they didn’t have their passport and still physically had possession of their green cards, they are still citizens as of the date INA320 applied..that was my point, the question doesn’t actually make sense for an N600 form. But yes, write in that they are USCs.

Even if they didn’t have their passport and still physically had possession of their green cards, they are still citizens as of the date INA320 applied..that was my point, the question doesn’t actually make sense for an N600 form. But yes, write in that they are USCs.
Do you have idea if they will need a fingerprint for 13 years old. This is noted in the receipt note ( they said they will send to collect my daughter’s biometrics for n-600).

Do you have idea if they will need a fingerprint for 13 years old. This is noted in the receipt note ( they said they will send to collect my daughter’s biometrics for n-600).
She does need to attend bio. They will take a photo for the certificate.

Oh, I thought she will not need because they asked for papery photo size online application.
She does need to attend bio. They will take a photo for the certificate.
Today my daughter got her citizenship certificate after we filed N-600.
they used the photo we submitted online with the application, no biometrics or fingerprints needed. They asked for the green card, I don’t remember should be just to see or should return it back to us! and we forgot to ask the officer if we should get it back or they they normally collect it the filed office when my daughter get his certificate?

Today my daughter got her citizenship certificate after we filed N-600.
they used the photo we submitted online with the application, no biometrics or fingerprints needed. They asked for the green card, I don’t remember should be just to see or should return it back to us! and we forgot to ask the officer if we should get it back or they they normally collect it the filed office when my daughter get his certificate?
Congratulations on getting your daughter's citizenship certificate. You don't get back the GC, your daughter is no longer a LPR.

Congratulations on getting your daughter's citizenship certificate. You don't get back the GC, your daughter is no longer a LPR.
Hi Sm1smom,
Is the N-600 certificate is diffrent than the parents ceritificate?
they didn't mention the former nationality like us, it says place of birth only which is diffrent than the natinality. our daughter borned in a place which didn't give the citizenship. thanks for sharing experiance.

Hello - I am in the same boat. Can the guys here, who have gone through this journey share the experience.

I applied for US passport for my minor daughter last week, and today got the oath appointment for n600. Now, I do not have the green card with me, as it is surrendered with the passport application. The oath document says that we must submit the green card, in oath ceremony. I am stuck, please guide, what happened in your case?

Just inform USCIS that Department of State has the child's green card. Plus US Passport and Certificate of Citizenship has an except same power. The only difference is that Certificate of Citizenship has no expiration date and also contains the "date" the child became a citizen (Not important).

I have NEVER seen a case where a derived citizen children with US Passport being denied for Certificate of Citizenship. If he/she is somehow denied by the field office, it will be overturned as the Department of Homeland Security has NO AUTHORITY over the decision made by the Department of State.

Hello, I Want to apply for minor child (under 14) N600 online, “I have already a U.S. passport for him”. Do I open a new USCIS account for child or do I apply through my own USCIS account?
Terms of service of USCIS account sign up says minors under 14 should not open account.
Tried to fill the form N600 on my account and gave an error when I got to the birth date part of the applicant. Saying that the birthdate associated with this account is different ( since its my birthdate). Please advise how to file N600 online for minor under 14, as I’m afraid if I file online the application will be rejected since my son is 13 years old. Thanks.

Please open a separate account for your child and apply for your child's N-600 from your child's account.

Good luck to you!

@ippjjang1 Thank you so much for your reply, just to check with you if you din’t mind please the following questions:
1- Have you seen any similar case like me for parents applied for their kids online who are less than 14 years old ? Apologize for the question again; since I’m worry with those T&C which say don’t open online account if you are less than 14 years old.

2- Is the processing time for filing online is faster than filing by Paper? Or both the same proceeding time ?

3- If I file online the system ask to fill Part “6” Physical Presence in the US from birth until filing of the N600 for me as a father.. which is not applicable for me as my son got his green card then got the US passport after I became US Citizen through Naturalization. So The online system ask to fill it ??!! But if you file by paper just you keep it blank … so what shall I do if I go with the online option.

4- last question , is it faster to get the US citizenship certificate for my son as he has already a U.S. passport ? Or it will be the same processing time like the people who still don’t get a U.S. passport and file N600.

Thanks again and appreciate your feedback.

Any feedback here from the team will be appreciated as I’m planning to file the N600 for my son this week. I’m not sure to go with Online or Paper. Please see below questions . Thanks in advance:

1- Have you seen any similar case like me for parents applied for their kids online who are less than 14 years old ? Apologize for the question again; since I’m worry with those T&C which say don’t open online account if you are less than 14 years old.

2- Is the processing time for filing online is faster than filing by Paper? Or both the same proceeding time ?

3- If I file online the system ask to fill Part “6” Physical Presence in the US from birth until filing of the N600 for me as a father.. which is not applicable for me as my son got his green card then got the US passport after I became US Citizen through Naturalization. So The online system ask to fill it ??!! But if you file by paper just you keep it blank … so what shall I do if I go with the online option.

4- last question , is it faster to get the US citizenship certificate for my son as he has already a U.S. passport ? Or it will be the same processing time like the people who still don’t get a U.S. passport and file N600.

Thanks again and appreciate your feedback.