• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

Johannesburg US Embassy replied to me today... still KCC is delaying
Should I email KCC and attach the embassy response??? Advice please!!!
I don’t think about emailing them as it’s take at least 3 working days to reply. If they did.
I advise you to call and nicely ask to forward your case to embassy as showed on your email

No. All cases must be approved by close of business on 30 September (the actual visa can be printed or green card issued after that, but that is the deadline for finalizing the case.
So, honestly, quick question :
What are the chances to get an extension? Does anyone if that has happened before in DV?
Thanks to all!

Dear Sir,

Due to staffing constraints in response to the worldwide challenge presented by the novel coronavirus pandemic, we will be unable to request more cases from the KCC. At the moment, we are prioritizing cases that are at the Embassy or those that were among the plaintiffs in the lawsuit

Best wishes,

Immigrant Visa Section (SIN)
U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem

:mad::mad::mad:

Update on Gomez v Trump posted today at travel.state.gov. Not able to insert a link due to spam protection in the forum, but find the article in the newsroom under Visa news.
"On September 4, 2020, the U.S. District Court in the District of Columbia ruled in Gomez v. Trump that the Department must make good-faith efforts to expeditiously process and adjudicate DV-2020 diversity visa applications by September 30, 2020 notwithstanding Presidential Proclamation 10014. Therefore, DV-2020 applicants may be processed in embassies and consulates where local health conditions and post resources allow..."
There's also a prioritized list of which cases to process.

(edit: I can see that there are links to this article previously in this thread, so maybe not all news - but since it appears to be last updated today, 14 September there may be some new info in there? If not, then sorry for providing redundant info)

Last edited:
It's been updated a couple of times already. The new additions wrt to version from 09/09/2020 are those two:
In addition, Presidential Proclamations 9645 and 9983 restrict the issuance of diversity visas to nationals of the following countries unless they qualify for a waiver or an exception: Burma, Eritrea, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Nigeria, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, and Yemen. DV-2020 applicants may be subject to restrictions under additional Presidential Proclamations as well.
(added in 4th paragraph)
Please note that embassies and consulates may need to reschedule visa applicants in other visa categories to prioritize DV applicants, in adherence with the court order, through September 30.
(added at the end)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/diversity-visa-DV-2020-update.html

I think it was in Kenya 1998
After nairobi us embassy bombing
I read about it before

So this is accurate. Because it is law that visas have to be issued by fiscal year end, it could only happen if congress passed a law to explicitly allow it, which they did https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/105/hr4821/text/eh It explicitly only addressed visas where processing had been affected by the bombing. (Note that the processing was extended into FY1999 and the actual visas issued were charged to FY99 as well.)
I would expect such an outcome, of congress passing a law to extend the deadline, to be unlikely this year.

Yes, see post above yours. Congress passed a law to allow it to happen.
What I understand from what you wrote is that the chances of being interviewed after September 30 are nil, even if the judge determines that the petition to be heard in court is relevant and justified because it must be passed at the Congress.

What I understand from what you wrote is that the chances of being interviewed after September 30 are nil, even if the judge determines that the petition to be heard in court is relevant and justified because it must be passed at the Congress.
That’s my (non-lawyerly) understanding. Curtis had talked about some other case where visas were to be set aside to be issued later but that was a few years back and to my understanding those visas have still not been issued, because the law does not allow it. Note that the law passed by Congress i linked above also did not in fact allow DV98 visas to be issued after the end of FY98 - but it allowed those affected by the bombings to be issued DV99 visas in FY99.
It was of course also an entirely different set of circumstances.

That’s my (non-lawyerly) understanding. Curtis had talked about some other case where visas were to be set aside to be issued later but that was a few years back and to my understanding those visas have still not been issued, because the law does not allow it. Note that the law passed by Congress i linked above also did not in fact allow DV98 visas to be issued after the end of FY98 - but it allowed those affected by the bombings to be issued DV99 visas in FY99.
It was of course also an entirely different set of circumstances.
:(:(

So this is accurate. Because it is law that visas have to be issued by fiscal year end, it could only happen if congress passed a law to explicitly allow it, which they did https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/105/hr4821/text/eh It explicitly only addressed visas where processing had been affected by the bombing. (Note that the processing was extended into FY1999 and the actual visas issued were charged to FY99 as well.)
I would expect such an outcome, of congress passing a law to extend the deadline, to be unlikely this year.

Yeah, that’s what I also discovered. House of Rep passed the bill on Oct. 15th, 1988. Congress subsequently passed it on Oct. 21, 1988. The embassy definitely did not extend the process on their own, they do not have the power to do so.

On a positive note, the line Xarthisius found about embassies rescheduling other appointments to finish as much DV as they can in time was heartening to see.