• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

When I was going through the process I never called or emailed them. Always went down to the office in person and the staff almost always helped me on the spot. They were absolute saints. Democrats, luckily.

I know paying unannounced visits to places these days is a bit taboo with all the Rona, but maybe you could try it?

Also, as a side note (not sure if it is typically advised) I did notice that senators for my area also had a "help with a government agency" form on they websites.
Back in the day when I needed it we did everything online, the congressperson did have a specific immigration related officer to help. They were very responsive.

There’s no “well known” way of contacting your congress person outside of what you’ve already done. Each one typically indicates how to contact them on their individual websites. So you’ll just have to keep trying them on the phone. Bear in mind though, if the rep you’re seeking assistance from is a Republican, who most likely tows the same line in terms of immigration like the Trump administration, helping you follow up with USCIS will not be a priority for them.

They both are Republicans...

You don’t think your background is TAL related or you actually went through the link I provided in my previous post to confirm your background is not TAL related? There’s a big difference between “I don’t think” and “it is not”

Yes I did go through the link. It's my not my field of study - I am a physician. Second, it's not listed as a state-sponsored terrorist country (at least on the website it's not listed), despite the fact that Indonesia has a big muslim population. I don't think I am on the FBI watch list - how would I know...? I was never contacted by them.

I am just curious if there are others who are roughly in the same step of the process as I am who have received their GC. In the AOS Timelines excel sheet, many have not updated their "GC received date" past March 2020 - unclear if they didn't get it yet like me, OR if they simply didn't update it. I also read some news last week that so far only 13,000 out of the 6,5000+ DV 2020 GC have been issued. Is this true?

Yes I did go through the link. It's my not my field of study - I am a physician. Second, it's not listed as a state-sponsored terrorist country (at least on the website it's not listed), despite the fact that Indonesia has a big muslim population. I don't think I am on the FBI watch list - how would I know...? I was never contacted by them.

I am just curious if there are others who are roughly in the same step of the process as I am who have received their GC. In the AOS Timelines excel sheet, many have not updated their "GC received date" past March 2020 - unclear if they didn't get it yet like me, OR if they simply didn't update it. I also read some news last week that so far only 13,000 out of the 6,5000+ DV 2020 GC have been issued. Is this true?
Roughly 13K out of 55K - that's true, due to border closure (COVID + executive order). Whoever is outside the US cannot proceed in their cases.

You are aware USCIS was shutdown for like two months, right? Well technically not shutdown per se, but closed to the public due to COVID-19. That greatly affected interview scheduling from March, they’re just beginning to reschedule. Majority of those haven’t even been scheduled for their bio. Embassies have also been shut down, no interview for CPers, so yes the recorded number of issued visas is about right.

Anyway, like I previously noted, looks like your case is stuck in AP. I was trying to figure out what could possibly be the cause, hence the question about chargeability country and TAL relatedness. You should initiate a congressional inquiry at this point.

1. Scheduling the interview is not like a one-size fits all process. So many factors determine this. You can however get some idea by reviewing the timeline spreadsheets to get an idea as related to your FO - I believe we discussed this before.

2. No you cannot continue working. You’ll have to wait until you receive the actual EAD before you can undertake authorized employment.

3. I don’t know. Again, a one size fits all approach cannot be adopted for this. Each FO operates independently, your background check clearance may still be pending, etc.

4. Yes. September 30th. No exception.

Hi @Sm1smom ,

An update and questions,

1. My EAD has been approved and I received Notice 797C today. in the notice, it says that the valid date is 6/30/2020 to 6/29/2021. Does this mean that I can continue to work until next year June? I thought that DV Program will be ended by end of this September whatsoever. If I have this EAD card, am I allowed to stay longer?
  2. I filed my tax last two years so that I received stimulus check from President Trump. I thought that only Americans are eligible for this stimulus check, do you think I filed my tax in the wrong way? If so, do you think that will affect my GC process? I know this may be out of your expertise, but if you know anything, please advise.
Thank you very much in advance!

Hi @Sm1smom ,

An update and questions,

1. My EAD has been approved and I received Notice 797C today. in the notice, it says that the valid date is 6/30/2020 to 6/29/2021. Does this mean that I can continue to work until next year June? I thought that DV Program will be ended by end of this September whatsoever. If I have this EAD card, am I allowed to stay longer?
  2. I filed my tax last two years so that I received stimulus check from President Trump. I thought that only Americans are eligible for this stimulus check, do you think I filed my tax in the wrong way? If so, do you think that will affect my GC process? I know this may be out of your expertise, but if you know anything, please advise.
Thank you very much in advance!

1. The EAD typically has a one year validity. The validity date does not differentiate between a DV based and a family based AOS application. Regardless of the listed expiration date on the card, it becomes invalid either when you have your GC or after Sept. 30th, whichever comes first.

2. I have no way of knowing if you rightly or wrongly filed your taxes. And like you rightly noted, this question is outside the DV process guidance which I provide here.

1. I filed my tax last two years so that I received stimulus check from President Trump. I thought that only Americans are eligible for this stimulus check, do you think I filed my tax in the wrong way? If so, do you think that will affect my GC process? I know this may be out of your expertise, but if you know anything, please advise.

Just a correction, you received a stimulus check from the US Treasury, which means it was paid for by other taxpayers - despite the president putting his name on the check.

Here is a link to the IRS info page including information about who is eligible https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

Hi there,

I got interview letter today. And the interview date is on 7/29. I got my biometric letter last Thursday which I’ve post here last week.
Hope everything will go smoothly. And I think USCIS has gradually deal with the DV case. Hope everyone can get good news ASAP.
I’ll update my timeline on the 2020 timeline spreadsheet. Good luck for everyone!
Congratulations

1. The EAD typically has a one year validity. The validity date does not differentiate between a DV based and a family based AOS application. Regardless of the listed expiration date on the card, it becomes invalid either when you have your GC or after Sept. 30th, whichever comes first.

2. I have no way of knowing if you rightly or wrongly filed your taxes. And like you rightly noted, this question is outside the DV process guidance which I provide here.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Understand that if my GC won't come by September, I need to leave this country, although I filed everything last year and seems like I am right before the interview...

Do you know if there is any grace period we can stay maximum after Sept. 30th? I don't want to think about this worst scenario but need to think ahead since I need to let me company know about this and may require international moving out/back which can be a hassle project.

Just a correction, you received a stimulus check from the US Treasury, which means it was paid for by other taxpayers - despite the president putting his name on the check.

Here is a link to the IRS info page including information about who is eligible payment-information-center

I filed my own taxes since I was part-time working as an intern with F1 visa. And I received stimulus check.

I filed my own taxes since I was part-time working as an intern with F1 visa. And I received stimulus check.
If you haven't passed Substantial Presence Test which requires you to have been here in the U.S. for at least 5 years then you most probably have filed your tax return as a resident that you have got the stimulus check. There are some international students that file their tax as residents to get more tax return, intentionally or unintentionally. This can be interpreted as fraud though it's very unlikely IO will find it out.

Last edited:
Briefly speaking, you will receive the stimulus check if you filed the 1040 tax form which is supposed to be for US citizens and resident aliens for tax purposes. For non resident aliens (if you are one), you were supposed to file 1040nr. If you’re F1 and have been here less than 6 years, you’re probably non resident alien.

Briefly speaking, you will receive the stimulus check if you filed the 1040 tax form which is supposed to be for US citizens and resident aliens for tax purposes. For non resident aliens (if you are one), you were supposed to file 1040nr. If you’re F1 and have been here less than 6 years, you’re probably non resident alien.

Yes I’m holding F1 for less than 6years. So I might be mistakenly filed the different form. Is there a way for me to change 1040 to 1040 NR or something else document? I looked at 1040X form but there isn’t a part for me to change the type of document.
Thanks for your advising.

If you haven't passed Substantial Presence Test which requires you to have been here in the U.S. for at least 5 years then you most probably have filed your tax return as a resident that you have got the stimulus check. There are some international students that file their tax as residents to get more tax return, intentionally or unintentionally. This can be interpreted as fraud though it's very unlikely IO will find out.
Thanks for your advice! I hope I can find the way to adjust my tax return.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Understand that if my GC won't come by September, I need to leave this country, although I filed everything last year and seems like I am right before the interview...

Do you know if there is any grace period we can stay maximum after Sept. 30th? I don't want to think about this worst scenario but need to think ahead since I need to let me company know about this and may require international moving out/back which can be a hassle project.

You should probably consider speaking with an immigration attorney in this case.

I had filed for EAD (I-765) and Advance Parole (I-131) with my AOS application. Is requesting for e-verify using I-765, which has a shorter processing time, instead of I-485 a better strategy to get some response (rather than just an automated response)?