• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Looks like your background check clearance was still pending as at the time of your interview, it basically went into AP since then. Which country are you chargeable to? Is your background TAL study related?

Indonesia. I don't think it's TAL study related?

Sorry for jumping in, but I noticed you are a new user here and just started asking questions about the AOS process. I saw you are an F-1 student and above you said “my parents support me (this is listed in I-944)”. Since I know most F-1 students are financially supported by a family outside the U.S. (you may not be the case), but if you are, parents without any relations to the U.S. cannot be listed as part of your household or as financial supporters in the I-944. Just wanted to point that out. I know for me as an F-1 student the I-944 was a big confusion in the beginning regarding household and financial support, assets etc. Since you are new user I just wanted to mention this in case you might have put wrong information regarding financial support in the I-944 form.

Thanks for bringing this up! I think I did make this mistake as one of the F-1 applicants here. I was also very concerned about the five times difference so I put my brother who lives in my home country in the same household because I thought he would be considered as "F. Any individual who provides to you at least 50 percent of your financial support". And I listed his income in part 6, the income is NOT listed on the tax return, as foreign income. Also the explanation for not filing a tax return is non-resident.

Unfortunately, I already sent my package and here are my questions:

1. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or do I just leave it as is and explain it to the IO at the interview?
2. Would this mistake lead to a case denial?

Really appreciate for all of your assistance!

Also I didn't understand if we are full-time students, what happens? Can we still remain in the U.S if full-time regardless of online or in-person classes?

You already have a pending AOS petition in the system, you will be exempt from the requirement to depart and attend classes from home until your AOS application is adjudicated or until after Sept. 30th, whichever comes first.
I thought so. And what do you think if I will be able to file for OPT at the end of September if for some reason my AOS application is not adjudicated? This is supposed to be the last semester of study anyways as I have only 6 more credits left towards the graudation.

Also I didn't understand if we are full-time students, what happens? Can we still remain in the U.S if full-time regardless of online or in-person classes?

Doesn’t matter wether full time or part-time. The only make or break is if classes are online or in person.

Thanks for bringing this up! I think I did make this mistake as one of the F-1 applicants here. I was also very concerned about the five times difference so I put my brother who lives in my home country in the same household because I thought he would be considered as "F. Any individual who provides to you at least 50 percent of your financial support". And I listed his income in part 6, the income is NOT listed on the tax return, as foreign income. Also the explanation for not filing a tax return is non-resident.

Unfortunately, I already sent my package and here are my questions:

1. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or do I just leave it as is and explain it to the IO at the interview?
2. Would this mistake lead to a case denial?

Really appreciate for all of your assistance!

There’s no way to fix this. If you get called for an interview you may be able to explain the error at that time.

Indonesia. I don't think it's TAL study related?

You don’t think your background is TAL related or you actually went through the link I provided in my previous post to confirm your background is not TAL related? There’s a big difference between “I don’t think” and “it is not”

Thank you for the resource! I was also wondering when switching schools or applying for OPT in the current situation of F-1 students (with pending AOS), are we going to be eligible for renewal of I-20's, switching to OPT and programs like that since we are already on pending status. I know that if we have remained full-time students, and have enrolled in a program of study already we could save our status even if we don't get a successful outcome of the DV Lottery, as long as we are still full-time students. But if the situation is to switch schools and get issued new I-20's considering the current requirements, is it going to be possible when already we have shown an immigrant intent?

Thank you for the resource! I was also wondering when switching schools or applying for OPT in the current situation of F-1 students (with pending AOS), are we going to be eligible for renewal of I-20's, switching to OPT and programs like that since we are already on pending status. I know that if we have remained full-time students, and have enrolled in a program of study already we could save our status even if we don't get a successful outcome of the DV Lottery, as long as we are still full-time students. But if the situation is to switch schools and get issued new I-20's considering the current requirements, is it going to be possible when already we have shown an immigrant intent?

You’re not already in a pending status on the basis of having filed for AOS unless your current status has already expired after filing AOS. We have reports of students in F1 status who successfully applied for OPT after sending in their AOS package.

You’re not already in a pending status on the basis of having filed for AOS unless your current status has already expired after filing AOS. We have reports of students in F1 status who successfully applied for OPT after sending in their AOS package.

Thank you Mom! My I-20 expires on December 31st this year, so I'm still in status. We would have to wait and see how Colleges will proceed for the Fall 2020, mine is still debating whether they will have hybrid classes depending on the spread of the virus. Only time will show, my fingers are crossed. Thank you again for the quick responses and updates!

@Sm1smom
Is there a certain “well known” way of contacting the congressmen? The reason I’m asking is because I was trying to contact both and the only two congressmen listed on the house.gov website for my zip code. Neither of them got back to me yet. I’ve submitted an inquiry as well as was calling their office every day for the last week and today. I’m just trying to do anything to get my case moving...

@Sm1smom
Is there a certain “well known” way of contacting the congressmen? The reason I’m asking is because I was trying to contact both and the only two congressmen listed on the house.gov website for my zip code. Neither of them got back to me yet. I’ve submitted an inquiry as well as was calling their office every day for the last week and today. I’m just trying to do anything to get my case moving...

Did you check if your congressperson has a specific immigration-related enquiries number/email address? Some do and you need to use those. Also, unfortunately, some are just not as responsive as others, especially on immigration matters.

@Sm1smom

There’s no “well known” way of contacting your congress person outside of what you’ve already done. Each one typically indicates how to contact them on their individual websites. So you’ll just have to keep trying them on the phone. Bear in mind though, if the rep you’re seeking assistance from is a Republican, who most likely tows the same line in terms of immigration like the Trump administration, helping you follow up with USCIS will not be a priority for them.

Universe must have heard my call and I got my interview invitation letter in mail today for 07/29

Hope nothing happens before that date, but I would not be surprised at this point

@Sm1smom I’ve requested edit access to timeline. Should I just overwrite my previous dates since the interview was cancelled?

Last edited:
@Sm1smom

When I was going through the process I never called or emailed them. Always went down to the office in person and the staff almost always helped me on the spot. They were absolute saints. Democrats, luckily.

I know paying unannounced visits to places these days is a bit taboo with all the Rona, but maybe you could try it?

Also, as a side note (not sure if it is typically advised) I did notice that senators for my area also had a "help with a government agency" form on they websites.

Universe must have heard my call and I got my interview invitation letter in mail today for 07/29

Hope nothing happens before that date, but I would not be surprised at this point

@Sm1smom I’ve requested edit access to timeline. Should I just overwrite my previous dates since the interview was cancelled?

Access granted. Yeah, you should update with the new interview date. You can add a note in the comments cell about your cancelled interview date. All the best with the rest of the journey.