• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.
How does everyone else feel about it?

It's a flu. It's "dangerous" to people with an already-weakened immune system or other medical complications. Healthy people will suffer flu-like symptoms and then recover.

I'm "annoyed" as it's hard to find toilet paper, and the stock market is all over the place.

Yes I have no idea what the big obsession with toilet paper is.

Is anyone else using the Patriot America insurance at the moment?

It's a flu. It's "dangerous" to people with an already-weakened immune system or other medical complications. Healthy people will suffer flu-like symptoms and then recover.

I'm "annoyed" as it's hard to find toilet paper, and the stock market is all over the place.
I'm annoyed too, I'm down to my last few rolls and don't want to be seen as one of the crazy ones (I can do that all on my own without buying date loaf)

Or are there any professional services you can recommend that will be able to assist with reporting Australian and Singapore income?

I've started looking into filing taxes, considering that they're due mid April (I think an extension is available as well). I originally planned to try and do it myself; however, after looking at Form 1040 and considering everything I have on the side (investment properties, stocks, etc.) and not knowing how to treat superannuation for the purpose of a US tax return, I'm leaning towards getting a professional to file.

Fees to do a tax return seem to vary; however, most charge around AU$550 - AU$900 (some are also charging hourly rates on top). Depending on your circumstances, my understanding is that your first filing might have (this was my circumstances):
  • Form 1040-NR (filing as a non-resident for the time that before you got your Green Card; more just to declare your income)
  • Form 1040 (filing as a resident after you got your Green Card - this is taxable)
  • Form 1040 Schedule E (rental investment properties)
  • FBAR (if assets in offshore bank accounts exceeded AU$10k at it's highest level)
  • Form 8938 (if you have more than US$50k in offshore assets as a resident - superannuation/equities/cash)
Happy to be corrected or if anyone else has gone through this situation before?

Also, did anyone just file as a resident for the first year (when they got their Green Card) instead of a dual-status alien? I'm tempted to see if this is allowable and just to file as a resident for the full year.

Unfortunately it appears that US taxes seem to be quite a headache of an exercise...

The toilet paper hoarding hit my city a couple of days ago, much like the chaos we have seen in Australia with folks fighting over loo paper.

People seem to be either wildly blasé with it or ready to go into their bunkers there’s not much of an in between.

I don’t have much confidence in the CDC response to it as yet and there seems to be no one steering the ship so to speak.

How does everyone else feel about it?
The CDC is now advising medical professionals to use bandannas if they run out of masks (where shortages have started in hospitals on the East Coast), and despite Trump having been warned about the possibility of such a crisis in 2017 and again last year when he closed the global epidemiological surveillance bureau set up after Ebola, the level of lack of preparedness on ALL levels has been such an embarrassing scandal.

What is more concerning is that so much time has been wasted and the US is still not following the WHO guidelines of widespread testing and urgent contact-tracing. Trump is more interested in sparing with reporters who are calling him out on his incompetence, serious lack of leadership and irresponsibility in they way he’s handled the pandemic so far, to the point where he keeps contradicting experts and peddling lies about drugs being approved although they’re still being studied, in addition to asking governors to fend for themselves in securing urgently needed medical resuscitation equipment when they ask for help from the federal government. The current lockdowns alone may not be enough to stop the pandemic without widespread testing.

I have absolutely zero confidence in what the Trump regime is doing or saying at this point. Governors in States most hit are the ones showing leadership and taking responsibility but their efforts may not be enough to stop the pandemic without robust and informed guidelines and leadership from the federal level. So...it’s tough luck that Trump is at the helm in such times, only time will tell how long this pandemic goes for, but I am not expecting miracles from the orange clown in chief.

Everything I have read says citizens only

I haven't read that at all - where did you read that?

It seems to be based on taxpayer status for 2018 returns (and 2019 in "special circumstances"). So that probably means all taxpayers, although there are income limits that will rule out support for people that earn too much, or haven't earned anything at all.

It seems to be based on taxpayer status for 2018 returns (and 2019 in "special circumstances"). So that probably means all taxpayers, although there are income limits that will rule out support for people that earn too much, or haven't earned anything at all.
let me go find where I saw it

So I am unable to find the original article I read that stated it was citizens only - I tried looking for a reputable source for this info and I am unable to find one. So at this stage I'll just say - lets wait and see (see what I did there @Britsimon :p)

Last edited:

If it’s just based on paying taxes - that’s interesting, because apart from those working legally on NIVs, there is some large number of illegal aliens who pay taxes too. Implies they too will get the subsidy? Just surprised, given the stance of the administration.

I’ve come across the use of the term “eligible resident aliens” in several articles describing those likely to benefit from the stimulus package. I doubt if illegal aliens will also benefit from the payout, even if they’ve been working and paying their taxes.

If it’s just based on paying taxes - that’s interesting, because apart from those working legally on NIVs, there is some large number of illegal aliens who pay taxes too. Implies they too will get the subsidy? Just surprised, given the stance of the administration.
I’ve come across the use of the term “eligible resident aliens” in several articles describing those likely to benefit from the stimulus package. I doubt if illegal aliens will also benefit from the payout, even if they’ve been working and paying their taxes.

Illegal aliens often have payroll taxes deducted, but since they have to provide false details they cannot benefit from things like this. That is already a known issue for millions that pay into UI, WC and so on....

ok.
(I admit I haven’t paid any attention to this tbh.)

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice on health insurance. I am relocating to Denver in January and will start work immediately upon arrival. Health insurance is included with my job but only from the 1st of the month following my start date. Is there a particular insurance I should be taking out to cover the three weeks of non-coverage in January? I assume I can't get travel insurance as a permanent resident. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice on health insurance. I am relocating to Denver in January and will start work immediately upon arrival. Health insurance is included with my job but only from the 1st of the month following my start date. Is there a particular insurance I should be taking out to cover the three weeks of non-coverage in January? I assume I can't get travel insurance as a permanent resident. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You can get short term insurance coverage which includes situations like this, see example here https://www.uhc.com/individual-and-family/short-term-health-insurance
We have never used it ourselves so can’t give any more info, other than I know it exists. The link above is a particular insurer - it is one we have used previously and is reputable - but it may possibly make sense to see if a similar product is offered by the insurers your employer insurance will use.

You can get short term insurance coverage which includes situations like this, see example here https://www.uhc.com/individual-and-family/short-term-health-insurance
We have never used it ourselves so can’t give any more info, other than I know it exists. The link above is a particular insurer - it is one we have used previously and is reputable - but it may possibly make sense to see if a similar product is offered by the insurers your employer insurance will use.
Thanks Susie.

I have not logged in to here for quite a while! Saw the questions about stimulus packages from last year. I am a green card holder through diversity visa and have been here for 5 years. If I was eligible due to income, I have received money from the Stimulus every time including the latest that landed in my bank account 2 days ago. Happy new year everyone.

Yes I have received both of them also. As long as you have done a tax return you should get one, that's my understanding.

Yes I have received both of them also. As long as you have done a tax return you should get one, that's my understanding.
Do you know if you have to have been here through a tax return period to get the stimulus check? We’ve been here less than a year. No worries if not, but would be a happy surprise if yes!

Do you know if you have to have been here through a tax return period to get the stimulus check? We’ve been here less than a year. No worries if not, but would be a happy surprise if yes!

This is just an opinion and I don't know the actual facts. But... I would think if you have a Social Security number, and there are no issues reported with your tax status, that you would be eligible for the stimulus. I say that because not everyone has to lodge a tax return if they are not earning income and they would still be eligible. I would think they would have your details even more so if you are employed and are paying in to social security from your earnings (employer does this on your behalf). As you have not done a tax return yet, they won't have your bank details and so would mail out a check. So your address details would need to be correct for the government.